PDA

View Full Version : Updated Q in #16: What seat does your 48 inch + tall kid ride in?

citymama
11-20-2012, 11:50 AM
DD1 is 49 inches tall. She seems to have finally outgrown her Marathon in all dimensions. What's the right seat to move her up to next, that will last until she's out of car seats all together? She's 6 years, 8 months and growing like a weed. Thanks!

hillview
11-20-2012, 12:13 PM
are you considering a booster or do you want a 5 point still? At that age we moved to a booster. Larger 5 points that we've used are the Radian and the Frontier (converts to a booster but we didn't like the booster).

Blakes Mommy
11-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Britax Frontier 85 if you want to still have her in a 5 point. DS1 is a little taller than your DD, and DS2 is shorter than your DD and they both love the Frontier 85. They both were in Marathons before the switch.

citymama
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Britax Frontier 85 if you want to still have her in a 5 point. DS1 is a little taller than your DD, and DS2 is shorter than your DD and they both love the Frontier 85. They both were in Marathons before the switch.

How long can they fit in the Frontier?

Hillview, what booster did you move to?

arivecchi
11-20-2012, 02:36 PM
I would move her to a booster at that age. I would look for one with LATCH so it does not become a projectile when not in use. There is a great booster sticky on this board.

arivecchi
11-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Here it is:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=366265

hillview
11-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Hillview, what booster did you move to?
http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Parkway-Booster-Seat-Cloudburst/dp/B0047O3Y30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353457791&sr=8-1&keywords=britax+booster
Really like the fit in our Toyota Minivan

o_mom
11-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Mine (7 and 9 yrs) ride in a Monterey, old-style Parkways or various backless boosters depending on the situation.

AnnieW625
11-21-2012, 01:57 AM
DD1 is just 48" tall.

We have a Britax Frontier 80, two Graco Highback Turbos, and a low back Harmony Cruz. We use the Graco in both of our cars, and the Harmony is the spare. We use the Frontier 80 for long trips, and DD1 is currently using it because it provides more leg support due to her broken leg.

For everyday use I don't see any issues with using the TB as long as it a good fit. DD1 has had no complaints about hers, plus she picked it out and I told her that she wasn't allowed to complain about it once she decided that was the one she wanted (IE: tried it in the car to make sure it fit, and took it for a test drive).

eta:

I could put the harness in the Frontier 80 now for DD1 and it would fit her fine. I can't remember the actual limits of the Frontier in harness mode, but it is pretty high.

If I were in your situation I might invest in the Frontier 85 and have your DD1 use it until your DD2 has outgrown her Marathon, and by then your DD1 should be ready for a low back booster. Or you could just buy the Monterey now, and then if you think your DD2 will be ready for a high back booster then you could just use that for her and move DD1 to a low back or buy your DD2 whatever the newest and greatest high back booster is at the time. If you really think you'll get lots of use out of the Frontier 85's harness for one or both girls then that seat might be the way to go, but if you aren't sure and you think DD1 is ready to just be belted (only you know her car behavior) then I would just get the Monterey (everyone I know loves theirs) as it is $100+ cheaper than the Frontier 85.

FWIW: The only reason I went with the TBs is because at the time they were $30 (on sale at Target) and I already had two Frontier 80s and I didn't want to spend an additional $200 total on two Monterey booster seats. I ended up selling one of the Frontiers, and kept the other just in case we needed it for DD2 or if we needed a spare in the future. I first tried the Frontier with DD1 as a belted booster I didn't like the fit of it either, she was just 44" tall then, now she is just 48" and it works much better for her and we use it on long road trips, but I kind of hope that we keep it in my car for the long haul because it is a better quality booster than the TB, but with that said I think the TB works as well if you are just going to be doing quick trips and less than 2-3 hrs. in the car for longer trips.

essnce629
11-21-2012, 03:22 AM
DS1 was in a harnessed Frontier 85 at that age and height. He's now 9 years old and 54" and rides in it in booster mode.

HannaAddict
11-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Six year old in Frontier 85 harnessed (she likes it and can buckle self and tighten!) and Sunshine Kids Monterey high back booster. She and older, super tall eight year old brother love the Monterey out of all the boosters. We have Recaro booster and Graco turbo high into low back and Birtax parkway booster. Neither like the Parkway, too narrow and shallow, I bought it to puzzle into three across one row. The SK base is nice as a low back too for when they leave to go on a play date.

KDsMommy
11-21-2012, 09:20 AM
At that age and size I would go with a high back booster, probably a Diono Monterey.

arivecchi
11-21-2012, 09:37 AM
We really like the Diono Monterrey. That is what DS1 uses in DH's car. He's in a Frontier 85 in mine in harness mode since my car is used for longer trips, but given your kid's height and age, I'd do a HBB.

WatchingThemGrow
11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
She's about 122cm, whatever that comes to in inches ;) but she's in a Frontier 85 and extremely happy with it. She does not love riding in the Parkway as she feels to "loose" in it.

mikeys_mom
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
DD1 will be 6 in January. She is around 45 inches tall and 44lbs. She sits in a Montery (the old Sunshine Kids one passed down from DS). I've been very happy with it. The belt stays positioned nicely on her and the headwings are great for when she falls asleep on long drives. It keeps her properly positioned.

citymama
12-20-2012, 03:59 PM
At that age and size I would go with a high back booster, probably a Diono Monterey.

We really like the Diono Monterrey. That is what DS1 uses in DH's car. He's in a Frontier 85 in mine in harness mode since my car is used for longer trips, but given your kid's height and age, I'd do a HBB.

I would move her to a booster at that age. I would look for one with LATCH so it does not become a projectile when not in use. There is a great booster sticky on this board.

Hey guys, after all this time I am finally buying the seat. I think I am getting the Diono Monterey - can somebody let me know if it can be permanently installed and whether it has a 5 point harness? Unfortunately our 2001 car doesn't have LATCH. :(

arivecchi
12-20-2012, 04:14 PM
The Monterey is a high back booster - so no harness. Your DD would just be using the seatbelt. Mine is secured at all times with LATCH. It's the only way to secure a booster while not in use since you are using the seatbelt for the child.

citymama
12-20-2012, 04:18 PM
The Monterey is a high back booster - so no harness. Your DD would just be using the seatbelt. Mine is secured at all times with LATCH. It's the only way to secure a booster while not in use since you are using the seatbelt for the child.

A - I'm reading terrible reviews for the 2012 model on amazon.com - seat belt threading issues and complaints. Have you had any of these problems?

http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Monterey-Booster-Seat-Shadow/product-reviews/B005MQRE0Q/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Ugh, maybe I should invest in the Frontier after all. Amazon has it for a little over $200. DD is almost 7, and probably 50 inches.

arivecchi
12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
I like ours and have not had the belt guide issue others have had, but yes, it's a known issue. I think the techs here will probably be more up to date on that so, hopefully, they will chime in. I honestly think a Frontier will be overkill for your DD. I feel like it already kind of is overkill for DS1 in harness mode but keep it because we go on long road trips about once a month. There are many great high back boosters out there. Did you check out the HBB thread?

citymama
12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I like ours and have not had the belt guide issue others have had, but yes, it's a known issue. I think the techs here will probably be more up to date on that so, hopefully, they will chime in. I honestly think a Frontier will be overkill for your DD. I feel like it already kind of is overkill for DS1 in harness mode but keep it because we go on long road trips about once a month. There are many great high back boosters out there. Did you check out the HBB thread?

Yes, and I narrowed it down to Grace Turbobooster, Diono Monterey and Maestro, just based on reading that thread and this one. Diono looked best until I read the many scathing reviews on amazon. I'm confused now!

KDsMommy
12-20-2012, 04:31 PM
I would recommend you check out car-seat.org.

Maestro would not fit for long, if at all. Turbo is a smallish booster IIRC. Do you have a Buy Buy Baby where you could go and check them out in person?

jjordan
12-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Yes, and I narrowed it down to Grace Turbobooster, Diono Monterey and Maestro, just based on reading that thread and this one. Diono looked best until I read the many scathing reviews on amazon. I'm confused now!

That is an interesting list. As a pp said, the Turbobooster is not a very tall highback booster, so it might not be the best choice, though it is well-loved, readily available, and inexpensive - so it does have a lot going for it! The Monterey is quite tall, but it does have known issues (referenced already). The maestro is a total NO since there is no way I would get a harness for a nearly-7 year old, and the booster portion is outgrown about the same time as the harness.

The main important thing when buying a booster is how it positions the seatbelt on the child. You want the lap belt down on the lap, not up on the tummy, and the shoulder belt crossing the middle of the shoulder - not hitting the neck (uncomfortable) or falling off the shoulder (unsafe). So ideally you try a booster in your car, with your kid, before committing to one.

I'd try the Britax Parkway SG, Recaro Vivo or Probooster, and, if you want to spend lots of $$, the Clek Oobr. Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdEh6WWV0V1NVM05aS0ozMHZQT19nT VE&hl=en#gid=0) is a spreadsheet with booster measurements, and Here (http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/) is the list of recommended car seats (including boosters) from carseatblog.

pastrygirl
12-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Nautilus in booster mode, and Recaro Vivo. Lots of room in both.

KrisM
12-21-2012, 11:05 AM

We don't have LATCH and just buckle in the empty booster. It's secure that way as well. LATCH is not required to secure an empty booster. It does take the kids an extra few seconds.

Joolsplus2
12-21-2012, 07:16 PM
The newest Montereys have completely redesigned belt guides (I don't exactly know how to describe how it's different from the old ones, but it's evidently like magic compared to the crummy ones, the shoulderbelt really stays in and 'flows' really well, ie, it doesn't ever get stuck or loose on the child after they bend forward). And if you happen to get one of the old/bad ones, they send you a whole new back with the new guide in it.
Turbo isn't very tall or deep/comfy, Maestro wouldn't do you any good as a harness or booster at this height.

citymama
12-21-2012, 07:32 PM
The newest Montereys have completely redesigned belt guides (I don't exactly know how to describe how it's different from the old ones, but it's evidently like magic compared to the crummy ones, the shoulderbelt really stays in and 'flows' really well, ie, it doesn't ever get stuck or loose on the child after they bend forward). And if you happen to get one of the old/bad ones, they send you a whole new back with the new guide in it.
Turbo isn't very tall or deep/comfy, Maestro wouldn't do you any good as a harness or booster at this height.

Thanks, yes, I called them yesterday and they told me this. These are marked DEC 2012 - so not likely what I would get from diapers.com or amazon.com today. I will wait a few more weeks. How terrible is it for her to stay in a Marathon for a road trip? It's either that or our $15 Harmony booster, unless I rush out and buy another booster in store...

Joolsplus2
12-21-2012, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't sweat using the MA with her shoulders at the top for now, personally (I think the instructions even say use the seat till the ears are at the top of the shell, even if the shoulders are above the top slots... a top tethered six year old with a proportionately smallish head and solid spinal bones is not at risk for spinal compression injuries that occur to younger kids who are using way-to-low slots).

citymama
12-22-2012, 02:16 AM
I wouldn't sweat using the MA with her shoulders at the top for now, personally (I think the instructions even say use the seat till the ears are at the top of the shell, even if the shoulders are above the top slots... a top tethered six year old with a proportionately smallish head and solid spinal bones is not at risk for spinal compression injuries that occur to younger kids who are using way-to-low slots).

Thanks Julie!