PDA

View Full Version : Question for Contact lense wearers

mommylamb
11-20-2012, 12:33 PM
If you wear contact lenses that are the 2 week throw away kind, do you always throw them away after 2 weeks, even if you only wore them for a few days of that 2 weeks? I do, but I'm curious because I've been wearing my glasses a lot more lately. So, if I open up a new set of contacts, wear them for 4 days, and end up wearing my glasses for the next week and a half, do I need to chuck those contacts that have only been worn for 4 days since it has been 2 weeks since I got them out of their little package?

sweet_pea
11-20-2012, 12:52 PM
No. I asked my optometrist and he said it was okay to use them a little longer. I'd ask your eye doctor about the particular brand you wear, but for mine I think the lenses are okay for up to a month.

3isEnough
11-20-2012, 12:52 PM
If you wear contact lenses that are the 2 week throw away kind, do you always throw them away after 2 weeks, even if you only wore them for a few days of that 2 weeks? I do, but I'm curious because I've been wearing my glasses a lot more lately. So, if I open up a new set of contacts, wear them for 4 days, and end up wearing my glasses for the next week and a half, do I need to chuck those contacts that have only been worn for 4 days since it has been 2 weeks since I got them out of their little package?

I don't, but I'm cheap like that :p For me it seems like it's the total wear time that affects my eyes. After 2 weeks of wearing them they start to bother my eyes and I have to throw them away, but if that 14 days of wear occurred over a 3 or 4 week period, I wouldn't throw them away until I had my 14 days or something close to that. But again, I'm cheap ;)

Momit
11-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I always wear mine longer than the recommended time (mine are 30 days I think), but I wear them occasionally rather than 10 hours/day. My eye doc said that was fine.

wendibird22
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
My eye doc ok'd me to wear the 2wk'ers for a month.

mommylamb
11-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Good to know. Thanks all!

twowhat?
11-20-2012, 02:41 PM
I'll keep 2-weekers for a couple months since I don't wear them often. I only throw them out after wearing them the equivalent of 2 weeks (i.e. after I wear them for 14 days, then I'll chuck them).

The important thing is to make sure they are properly cleaned and stored between wearings.

belovedgandp
11-20-2012, 02:47 PM
DH wears two week ones, but almost always wears them for one month. He wears his contacts 90% of the time. He could never keep track of two weeks, but on the last/1st of the month he swaps them out.

mommylamb
11-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I think I may have been wasting a lot of contacts over the years!

sweetsue98
11-20-2012, 02:49 PM
I wear them for longer as well. You can tell when they need to be thrown away. I even wear my dailies for more than 1 day.

Mikey0709
11-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Same here - - i would be ashamed to admit how long my DAILIES have been in for.....

Cam&Clay
11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I used to wear the 2-weekers for...longer than I should admit!

I wear dailies now and throw them away each night. A fresh new pair of contacts each morning is my little gift to myself because I wear them for many, many hours a day!

elephantmeg
11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
no, I wear them til they are uncomfortable! At least a month (and I wear them a lot!)

Mommy_Mea
11-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I used to wear the 2 weekers for a month, a recommended by my eye doctor.

Went to dailies last year, so awesome. I have sensitive eyes and spent so much time trying to get good deals on clear care solution. might be a little more money over all, but so much less hassle!

okinawama
11-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I am too embarrassed to admit how long I wear mine for, but it is far over the recommended time :bag I wear them for at least 12hrs a day and never sleep in them.

MaiseyDog
11-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I wear my 2-weekers for at least a month. My eye doc said as long as I take them out every night she was fine with it. Typically I wear them until they get uncomfortable which, depending on how much I'm wearing them is about 5-6 weeks.

melrose7
11-20-2012, 05:24 PM
I also wear my 2 weekers for a couple months. When they start bothering me I change them. At least 2 months but most often 3 months.

123LuckyMom
11-20-2012, 05:24 PM
I have the month long ones, and I keep wearing them until I lose one or I can tell they need to be changed. Sometimes this has been for multiple months, but sometimes it's been less than a month. I usually go through six to nine changes per year. My eye doctor said this was fine.

MMMommy
11-20-2012, 05:39 PM
I wear my 2 week lenses WAY longer than two weeks. Probably for a month to a month and a half usually.