PDA

View Full Version : Help diagnosis DD - fever at night

HonoluluMom
11-20-2012, 01:38 PM
The last few nights, DD has had a fever.

Sunday night she was at 101.4 and it came down with Advil.

During the day, Monday, she did complain of a headache, but no fever (98.3) and no other pain complaints, and was otherwise acting and eating normally.

Last night, Monday night, 100.8. with complaints of headache. She cooled down with a cold compress. She woke up this morning at 100.7, headache, but no other pain complaints and otherwise acting her usual self.

What could this be?

hillview
11-20-2012, 08:33 PM
well first thing I'd eliminate is
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/meningitis
Which is unlikely but still headache and fever would be my first check. After that I'd assume a virus.

karstmama
11-21-2012, 11:13 AM
temps can totally cycle on a 24hr clock, so they peak every night & go away until the next night, or late afternoon, or whatever. if you don't start seeing them be lower over the next day or so, call your ped.

HonoluluMom
11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Thank you. I ended up taking DD to the doctor today and she said she can find no obvious cause of the fever/headaches. She ruled out meningitis and encephalitis. She said to continue monitoring DD and if the fever doesn't improve, then to call again.

Momit
11-21-2012, 05:19 PM
My DS had a similar pattern over the summer. We did take him to the doctor because it was 3 days before his birthday party. All they could ever figure out was that it was "a virus." He also got a rash for several days.

hillview
11-21-2012, 08:13 PM
glad you have peace of mind and that is isn't something to be concerned about!