PDA

View Full Version : X Post- Please vote! Majestic Mansion or So Chic Dollhouse for a friend's daughter?

MMMommy
11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
X Post (also in Kidfun) bc I need to jump on the great prices right now. So I'm hoping for more votes and opinions before I take the plunge and order within the next day or so.

We (and a few other families) are chipping in to buy a dollhouse for a good friend's daughter.

I narrowed it down to two dollhouses- the Majestic Mansion or the So Chic dollhouse.

We have the So Chic from several years ago. That won't sway my decision, since this is not for us.

Both get great reviews. Both are big. Size is fine with either. One is set against the wall, the other is 360 degree play. Both setups are fine for the family. It will be a surprise, which is why we can't ask our friend's DD which she prefers. Again, size and setup is not an issue here for this family.

Majestic Mansion
http://www.kidkraft.com/toys-and-playsets/dollhouses/dollhouses/65252

So Chic
http://www.kidkraft.com/toys-and-playsets/dollhouses/dollhouses/65078

Which do you prefer? Please feel free to say why.

Thanks for your help!

codex57
11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
So Chic

Open design makes it a lot easier to move the dolls around and stuff.

Also, those flat panels (like the walls) are pretty poor quality so more risk of damage during installation.

My experience comes from recently putting together the Beachfront Mansion

MMMommy
11-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Good points, Codex57. Thanks!

BabyBearsMom
11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
I really like the 360 degree play option with the So Chic.

AnnieW625
11-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I like the So Chic as well. Looks less commercialized, and in my book that is a plus!

s7714
11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
We have one similar to the mansion and my DDs have always bemoaned the fact they can't play on the "other side" so needless to say I voted for the So Chic option. If space hadn't been a factor I would have gone with one like that too.

MMMommy
11-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks, very helpful!

Drag0nflygirl
11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
The casters sealed the deal on the "so chic" for me. That way it can come away fom the wall for play, and go ack when she's done.

MamaSnoo
11-21-2012, 12:19 PM
The So Chic looks AWESOME! I love that they can play from all sides. My DD would be soooo into that.

Where are you getting a good deal? I might get one for Christmas for DD. I really have not bought anything for her yet, nor did I have any plans of what to get yet.

MamaMolly
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I really prefer the openness of the So Chic. Lula has a smaller one that is similar in her classroom and I love how several children can play at once.

MMMommy
11-21-2012, 02:53 PM
The So Chic looks AWESOME! I love that they can play from all sides. My DD would be soooo into that.

Where are you getting a good deal? I might get one for Christmas for DD. I really have not bought anything for her yet, nor did I have any plans of what to get yet.

The "good" deal is not cheap, but as good as I've seen for these in recent times. The Majestic Mansion is currently $140 at Amazon and Walmart.com. Last year it was $139.99 at Costco for Black Friday. So this is a pretty good deal for now. The So Chic is $197 at Amazon and Walmart.com. Last year it was regularly priced at $219.99 at Costco.com and $199.99 for Black Friday there. I researched last year's prices to compare to the current prices.

Thanks for your input!

infomama
11-21-2012, 05:05 PM
We have both kinds and Dds prefer the 'flat' one. Plus...they would have so much fun with the elevator. The 360 one we have (a huge Plan Toys dollhouse) is sitting in the basement waiting for the garage sale. I vote Majestic Mansion.