PDA

View Full Version : E-reader for comic books?

SASM
11-20-2012, 03:30 PM
After seeing all of the talk on here in regards to ereader/tablet gifts for DC's, I started to research the tablets and e-readers for my 9yo DS. He reads a fair amount of chapter books, however, he also really likes graphic novels & comics, which sadly makes "easy on the eyes" e-ink not really an option, right? :( We would allow him to play some games but the tablet/e-reader would be more for reading. Ideally, I am looking for a tablet/e-reader that is easy on the eyes (he currently wears glasses only in the classroom), has color for graphic novels, parental controls, and no ads. Any suggestions?? On a whim, I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab today d/t finding good deal...just not sure... :( TIA for any suggestions!!!

lizzywednesday
11-20-2012, 03:33 PM
I think your best options are going to be the Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Nook HD/HD+ or Kindle Fire.

All are back-lit rather than e-ink, but they handle graphics beautifully IMO.

You'll want something with a good contrast between light & dark because a lot of graphic novels and single-issue comics have VERY detailed art that depends a lot on the play of shadow with the light, especially for characters with a lot of angst - almost all Marvel, for example, is psychodrama ... and I've already described what a nutcase Batman is in other threads.

Also, what line of comics does he follow? Marvel? DC? Manga? You'll want to check who has the most offerings for the different formats.

SASM
11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I think your best options are going to be the Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Nook HD/HD+ or Kindle Fire.

All are back-lit rather than e-ink, but they handle graphics beautifully IMO.

You'll want something with a good contrast between light & dark because a lot of graphic novels and single-issue comics have VERY detailed art that depends a lot on the play of shadow with the light, especially for characters with a lot of angst - almost all Marvel, for example, is psychodrama ... and I've already described what a nutcase Batman is in other threads.

Also, what line of comics does he follow? Marvel? DC? Manga? You'll want to check who has the most offerings for the different formats.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the detail! Does the Kindle Fire have ads?

BabyBearsMom
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the detail! Does the Kindle Fire have ads?

Totally agree with Lizzy on her suggestions (DH is a big graphic novel fan and won't move to an e-reader for them, but has mentioned those being good options). You can get the Fire without ads, when you are looking to buy it will say "Includes Special Offers" or "Without Special Offers" as a choice. GO with "Without Special Offers." It makes it a little pricier but no ads.

SASM
11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Totally agree with Lizzy on her suggestions (DH is a big graphic novel fan and won't move to an e-reader for them, but has mentioned those being good options). You can get the Fire without ads, when you are looking to buy it will say "Includes Special Offers" or "Without Special Offers" as a choice. GO with "Without Special Offers." It makes it a little pricier but no ads.
Thank you!! Has he seen the Samsung Galaxy tablet? The reason why we spontaneously bought this was for the ability to download the Nook and Kindle apps, plus it had a SD card slot and a camera (not really necessary but a nice feature.

hellokitty
11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
DH reads graphic novels and manga and does it on his tablet.

SASM
11-20-2012, 04:22 PM
DH reads graphic novels and manga and does it on his tablet.
For how long? Any complaints of eye stain? :) THANK YOU!!