PDA

View Full Version : Need new laptop should I switch to a MAC?

jacksmomtobe
11-20-2012, 05:50 PM
So our home dell laptop has died. I'd like to get another laptop as I tend to use it throughout the house and also take it with me to PTO related meetings. I am considering an apple since that is what the kids use at school and DS in particular (3rd grade) will need to practice some keyboarding at home and will start to use google docs. I think it might be easier if he is using a machine similar to what they use at school. When i worked i was in finance analyst/business analyst so did alot of work with excel spreadsheets and I continue to use them in my work with the PTO. I asked the computer geek who has helped on occasion and was helping me retrieve some data as our pc was near death. He said that the big downside is that the apple version of outlook is inferior to the pc version but other than that there is excel etc for macs. I do use outlook to read my gmail on the laptop but I also read email on my I-phone and I-pad. I am pretty technologically inclined. Dh's work extends an apple discount that they receive to employees so that is another reason i am considering switching. So is there anything I am not considering that I should think about? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thx for reading my long post!

codex57
11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Is there some Windows only program you must use?

Otherwise, I think Apple computers are the greatest thing since silicon chips.

We're trying to convince some friends, but the husband works for HP. He can't get over the fact that the hardware is exactly the same. He understands that the laptop is just designed better (doesn't overheat as much, altho PCs are getting better designs now too by copying Apple). The kicker is the software tho. Mac OSX is just far superior to Windows that it's not even funny.

When you combine the hardware with a far better software, it just makes the computer so much better. That's why I think it's worth the premium. They just last longer (the physical parts seem to get less daily wear), the software doesn't turn super buggy within a year, etc. Yes, you're slightly more limited because not everything will work with a Mac. Weird peripherals, funky software, etc. This is a good thing. That stuff is generally crap. They are part of the reason why a Windows PC starts slowing down so quickly. Apple is a closed wall system, but when you're inside those walls, it's a very pleasant place to be.

Oh, and as for Windows 8. Just watch youtube videos of people using it. Hilarious.

edurnemk
11-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Is there some Windows only program you must use?

Otherwise, I think Apple computers are the greatest thing since silicon chips.

:yeahthat: I will never go back to PC. I use Windows Parallels on my Mac to run the only program that doesn't work on Mac (a very specific program for work). I use Excel, Powerpoint and Word for Mac, and love them. I've learned to live without Outlook and don't really miss it.

My Macbook has lasted longer than any PC I ever owned without having issues. To get the same kind of performance out of a PC I would've had to get a very expensive one (since some people argue you can get a $700 PC instead of the $1400 Mac - yeah, no, not the same thing).

DS's school also uses Macs BTW.

hillview
11-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I love my mac. Especially
that is boots fast
is so small.light

have the 13" mac air