PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for leftover deli meat?

cntrymoon2
11-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I ordered a deli tray for a party and have an insane amount left (turkey, ham, roast beef, corned beef). Does anyone have any recipes that use deli meat? Bonus points if they are freezable, because I really need to reclaim fridge space for Thanksgiving!

elbenn
11-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Paninis
Croque monsier for the ham

BabbyO
11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't know how thick or thin the meat is sliced, but I've made pot pies with leftover deli meats (turkey & beef). I just dice it up mix in a can or two of gravy and a package of mixed frozen veggies, then bake like a filled pie.

I would guess that you could assemble this and freeze prior to baking...but I've never done it. With left overs...I might give it a try.

Another thought is can you make some of the deli meat into appetizers/munchies for Thanksgiving? I'm thinking of the ham/cream cheese/olive/flour tortilla pinwheels (though we make ours with hummus and no cheese).

Just some thoughts.

Tondi G
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
I think you could use the ham and make a breakfast casserole to freeze? Or make breakfast burritos and freeze.

How about those breakfast egg muffins talked about here.... you could chop up the ham and turkey to put inside.

Monte Cristo sandwiches ... turkey, ham and swiss ... then batter and fry...YUM!

corned beef hash?

How about make hot beef dip sandwiches .... pop the roast beef in a pot (or crock pot?) with beef broth and seasonings (garlic,onion etc.). I bet some onion soup mix would work well here. you could top with sauteed peppers, onions and mushrooms.

I suppose you could do a beef stroganoff with the roast beef too.

misshollygolightly
11-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, if you're cooking for Thanksgiving you could dice up the turkey and/or ham finely and mix it into your cornbread stuffing/dressing. That would be yummy! The ham should be great in virtually any kind of breakfast casserole or omelet, just chop it up and then add it in.

You could pick up some Pillsbury crescent rolls and roll up slices of ham or turkey and cheese in those before baking for a yummy breakfast or lunch.

I've never frozen deli meat...I wonder if you could just seal it up in baggies and freeze as is, with the intention of thawing and chopping to add to a casserole or soup in the future?

swissair81
11-20-2012, 10:12 PM
My mother makes a deli roll that my little brother loves. It's basically a puff pastry sheet spread with mustard, layered with deli (she uses turkey and pastrami I think), and then rolled up lengthwise. She scores the top, brushes with egg, and sprinkles sesame seeds on top. I don't know how long she bakes it for, but pretty much until puffy and golden.

She freezes them often. If I am not mistaken, she freezes it raw and then thaws and bakes when she wants to serve them.

DietCokeLover
11-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Ham and cheese omelettes could be frozen

Chicken cordon blue

Quiche

boilermakermom
11-20-2012, 11:58 PM
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-ham-and-cheese-appetizer-sandwiches/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=ham%20and%20swiss%20sandwich&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

these are the best! and they freeze great too!!!! i use the hawaiian sandwich rolls.

elephantmeg
11-21-2012, 12:39 AM
I make quiche filling and freeze it (raw)

kijip
11-21-2012, 01:44 AM
I line muffin tins with ham slices and fill with an egg, veggies and/or pesto and then top with cheese or goat cheese. Bake. Little egg cups for breakfast in ham wrappers. Yum.

urquie
11-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Cobb type salad. Ham and eggs.

niccig
11-21-2012, 04:37 AM
I've never frozen deli meat...I wonder if you could just seal it up in baggies and freeze as is, with the intention of thawing and chopping to add to a casserole or soup in the future?

I do this all the time. When you thaw, you have to drain off the liquid, then it's fine to use as you normally would.

cntrymoon2
11-22-2012, 02:14 AM
I do this all the time. When you thaw, you have to drain off the liquid, then it's fine to use as you normally would.

Thank you all! This is what I ended up doing. Time got the best of me and I couldn't find time to cook anything else. But I'm perfectly content to use it in casseroles once I defrost it.