PDA

View Full Version : How to write notes in holiday cards if you're really only friends with one spouse?

wencit
11-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I'd like to write a little note in our holiday cards for the close friends that I left behind when we moved cross country earlier this year. I can't think of a way that doesn't make it awkward, especially since I'm very close to the women and not really the men.

"Dear Sally and Joe, We miss you so much! Despite the length of time that may pass between conversations, we will always treasure your friendship. Happy holidays! Love, John and Jane." It seems a little forced, since I don't really know Joe at all or treasure his friendship, KWIM?

OR

"Dear Sally, I miss you so much! Despite length of time that may pass between conversations, I will always treasure your friendship. Happy holidays! Love, Jane." Does that one seem like I am awkwardly leaving Joe out???

FWIW, we have the standard holiday greeting on the front of the card, i.e. "Happy holidays with love from the Doe family - John, Jane, Jim, and Jack." I know I am probably overthinking this, but how do you address your cards? Thanks in advance!

infomama
11-21-2012, 12:49 PM
I would send the holiday card to the both of them and write Sally a separate note/send a card expressing your feelings about her. Send that card on a few days earlier/later than the other.
As far as addressing cards goes...if it's a couple I address it to both of them and if there are children in the house it's 'The Smith Family'

kdeunc
11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I would go with exactly what you wrote. --Joe either knows you are Sally's friend and not his or more likely in my house Joe would either never really look at the card unless I showed it to him and then go who the heck are Jane and John! :)

mommylamb
11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I just wouldn't address it to anyone in particular.

"Miss you so much! Despite length of time that may pass between conversations, I will always treasure your friendship. Happy holidays!"

KLD313
11-21-2012, 01:21 PM
I've written a separate note on the side or top depending on how the card folds to my friends. The other thing I've done is enclosed a little not folded in the card.

TwinFoxes
11-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Unless Joe is a complete jerk, I can't imagine him taking offense at either of your examples.

jgenie
11-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I just wouldn't address it to anyone in particular.

"Miss you so much! Despite length of time that may pass between conversations, I will always treasure your friendship. Happy holidays!"

:yeahthat:

kijip
11-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Unless Joe is a complete jerk, I can't imagine him taking offense at either of your examples.

:yeahthat:

Mommy_Again
11-21-2012, 03:06 PM
I think it's completely normal to write a note just to your friend on the inside. But I'd address the envelope to both. Chances are, the husband won't read the card anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elektra
11-21-2012, 03:33 PM
What about:

"Dear Sally, I miss you so much! Despite length of time that may pass between conversations, I will always treasure your friendship. Happy holidays to you and Joe! Love, Jane."

hillview
11-21-2012, 03:45 PM
What about:

"Dear Sally, I miss you so much! Despite length of time that may pass between conversations, I will always treasure your friendship. Happy holidays to you and Joe! Love, Jane."

:yeahthat: I was going to write something along these lines. Dear Sally I miss you so much etc. Give my best to Joe!

wencit
11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
What about:

"Dear Sally, I miss you so much! Despite length of time that may pass between conversations, I will always treasure your friendship. Happy holidays to you and Joe! Love, Jane." Love this - it captures what I want to say perfectly.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!