PDA

View Full Version : Which tablets to get...

stefani
11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
DH is turning 40, so I am thinking of getting him a tablet. I am not sure what is a good value. He has an iPhone and a Windows laptop.

I am looking at the iPad Mini, and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, but I am sure there are many others.

Any other gift ideas is also appreciated :-)

TIA.

Pinky
11-21-2012, 06:46 PM
I've been starting to look at these too... I think maybe you should also look into the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire? Not sure how they compare though.

hellokitty
11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
How loyal is he to apple? If he is a die-hard apple person, then I would say go with the ipad. If he is open to others, I say, go with one of the nexuses, depending on whether he would like a larger or smaller unit. My brother just got a nexus 7 for my sil and she loves it, but they are not big apple ppl. I have an iphone and dh jailbroke a hp touchpad tablet for me into a droid and I love it. However, I'm not a die-hard apple person.

ellies mom
11-21-2012, 07:07 PM
We have both the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire. My husband has an Android based phone and I have an iPhone. We both have Windows laptops and e-ink Kindles.

Between the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire, I'd go with the Nexus 7 hands down. Since we got the Nexus, the Fire sees very little use. Between the Nexus 7 and the iPad (mini or full size is more of a preference thing), I think it comes down to which platform he prefers. My husband prefers the Android platform and absolutely loves the Nexus. I prefer the Apple platform plus I have a lot of expensive nursing apps. So while I do play with the Nexus occasionally, I generally stick to my phone for anything other than reading. I'm holding out for the mini iPad. I'm a little purse person, so the larger size of the original iPad has always been off-putting to me.

Let me sum up. Skip the Kindle Fire. Decide which platform you think he might prefer and go from there. If you think he want to stick with Apple, then consider size. If you think he might like to switch to the Android platform, I'd go for the Nexus 7.

BillK
11-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I bought a Nexus 7 when it came out and haven't even turned on my iPad 2 since.

larig
11-21-2012, 10:20 PM
If he has an iphone, I'd say get an iPad/ipad mini, because of the investment in the app ecosystem. If you don't have a lot invested in iOS apps, then that's a harder decision.

My second choice after an ipad/ipad mini would be a nexus 7 over the fire. But, I'm not a fan of android, personally (this is such a personal, thing however). I'd wager, though, since he has an iphone, that he chose it over an android phone, and would therefore choose an iOS tablet over an android tablet. The ipad is still the most desired gift this season for adults and kids alike, according to Nielson (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/20/kids-and-adults-want-ipads-more-than-anything-else-this-holiday-season/).

stefani
11-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I bought a Nexus 7 when it came out and haven't even turned on my iPad 2 since.

What made you prefer the Nexus 7 so much?

stefani
11-23-2012, 01:04 PM
It seems to me that most of you don't like the smaller tablets? More chose regular iPad vs. the iPad Mini and more chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 vs. the 7. Do you find the bigger one much better, although bulkier and heavier? TIA.

mommytotwo
11-23-2012, 04:50 PM
we really like the ipad and now have a keyboard for it. We have iphones and ipods though, so find it helpful sharing apps.

crl
11-23-2012, 06:09 PM
It seems to me that most of you don't like the smaller tablets? More chose regular iPad vs. the iPad Mini and more chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 vs. the 7. Do you find the bigger one much better, although bulkier and heavier? TIA.

I voted iPad regular because my dh prefers the bigger size. He has commented that the kindle is almost too small for him--he says it is too big for one hand and too small for two. I think I would really like a mini because it would be easier to carry in my purse, etc. But I have smaller hands and don't mind a smaller screen. Dh's response to the mini is, "I have an iPhone for that."

(We both have iPhones and regular iPads and dh has a kindle.)

Catherine