PDA

View Full Version : AG Question: How important is the "collection?" - UPDATE in OP

Thatchermom
11-21-2012, 01:22 PM
UPDATE: Love at first sight. Elizabeth is her new best friend, only maybe beaten out by the Auntie who gave her. Elizabeth came with her meet outfit and three others plus a nightgown. We supplemented with two matching girl/doll outfits and one nightgown set. At first, I think because she had so many "colonial" style clothes, she resisted putting her in the more contemporary, matching outfits. When I did Elizabeth's hair to match hers she decided to try it out, then volunteered to pose for a zillion pictures to send to my sister. Time will tell what she really does most often. Besides playing with her. Constantly!

Just heard last night that my sister has an American Girl doll for DD for Christmas. Putting aside all the frustrations that there's nothing Santa or I can give to top that, I have questions.

I'm guessing she bought the doll new but secondhand as we have received other things like that from her. Totally ok with that and glad for her bargain but now I'm stunned - the doll was retired and her "collection" pieces - when you can find them - are crazy expensive!

How important is it for the clothing etc. to be from this specific doll? At DD's age (5) does any of the story/collection matter? Can you mix a historical doll and more contemporary (knockoff) clothing or does that not work? She is either Felicity or Elizabeth, my parents couldn't remember exactly. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Really, to get a few pieces that really go with the doll we'd have to scrap ALL the other plans we have for DD for Christmas and that seems ridiculous. If I had been choosing I would have a) waited until DD was older and gotten a historical doll or b) gotten a contemporary or just like me doll. Now that I'm not choosing, I'm trying to figure out how to make this the best experience for my DD, who studies each catalog until it disintegrates. This will very likely be her only AG doll, so I want to give her the most play value possible - but on a very limited budget.

khalloc
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Well I dont see why you need the historical pieces at all. Any AG clothes will fit the doll and so should the other 18" doll clothes from places like Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, etc...So I wouldnt spend oodles of money buying stuff specific for this doll. My DD has 2 AG dolls, one is a My AG and the other is McKenna. Honestly I dont think she would even like the historical stuff. I dont even like it except for the Julie since she's from the 70s and thats cool. The other historical dolls are cute but I think a 5 year old would rather dress them up in todays clothes.

lizzywednesday
11-21-2012, 01:51 PM
The clothes from the contemporary line will fit the historical dolls just fine.

I don't think it's essential to have all the pieces in a doll's collection.

If it's at all possible, I'd get the books, which I think are still being sold(?) at the AG site, though at 5 years old, there are some aspects of the historical dolls' stories that a child might find scary, worrisome or disturbing.

Felicity's story takes place during the fomentation of the Revolution, for example, so if you are unfamiliar with the Colonial/Revolutionary period of US history, the stories might shock you. Infant mortality, apprenticeships, politics, etc., are all integral parts of the world Felicity inhabits.

In addition to this, many of the accessories changed when Mattel took over the Pleasant Company. Several of Felicity's pieces were actual reproductions of historical artifacts from Williamsburg, VA and the period - her writing desk, for example, was based on a design that Thomas Jefferson published & made for himself; the dress she used to come in had a pattern based on wallpaper in an historic home in Williamsburg, etc. - so they were costly to begin with. I can't imagine how they've gone up in price now that she's been retired!

Anyway, I think that some Etsy sellers might have some of the more "historically accurate" clothing for when your DD is interested, but there's no problem with getting the non-historical stuff for now.

cilantromapuche
11-21-2012, 01:53 PM
At that age the collection wont matter. I would look and get some accesories. My dd loves the clothes and pjs that match. you can find them cheap on zulily or thoseflash websites. you can also get the books and read them to her.

katerinasmom
11-21-2012, 01:57 PM
I think it depends on the kid. My 8 year old has two American Girls dolls. She doesn't give a hoot about the collection. She is more interested in fixing her hair and dressing her up. And as far as dressing her up goes - she'll use anything that fits - including her build a bear clothes. We've gotten a bunch of outfits from Toys RUS from their knock off line as well as a large white doll closet cabinet from Target to hold all of the build a bear, AG, knock off clothes and accessories. The closet was as big a hit as the AG doll itself.
My 5 year old has a knock off AG doll and she does the same as her sister - fix the hair and change the clothes.

ETA: They both love to get Dolly and Me matching outfits and dress themselves and their dolls in matching outfits. I've gotten some of those at Kohls and BJs. They are always a big hit.

HannaAddict
11-21-2012, 02:28 PM
I think there is a DVD of Felicity and we have it, she has a horse. My daughter likes the movie and it is pretty good. My six year old studies the catalogs but doesn't need things to be AG and doesn't have AG fever. What she loves is the Target beauty chair that fits the AG doll. It's about $30 full price and might be fun to go along with it. How sweet of our aunt to get this for her since it sounds like she really wants one and is the perfect age. Don't sweat having AG accessories, other brands are fine. And check out amazon for the DVD, I think the book was included. We don't even have that doll, we have Julue doll. Also, we did get kid pajamas to go with Julie since my daughter liked them and they are super cute and great quality, a pleasant surprise.

lfp2n
11-21-2012, 03:12 PM
My DD has Felicity but no Felicity items, she has stuff from all over the AG catalog mixed with a bit of target, bit of home-made etc. felicity only retired a couple of years ago so can still be a new doll. She does like the felicity movie, although probably a bit heavy going for a 5 year old.

vonfirmath
11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Will sister be there when you unwrap?

I might substitute a different gift "from sister" and hold this one back until she is older, if you can.

Alternately, let it disappear after Christmas and come back out later, if necessary. Certainly downplay it ince it isn't a gift you want her to have yet.

mattiew
11-23-2012, 02:17 AM
We have a mix of historical and girl of the year dolls; also a mix of historical accessories/clothing and "modern" accessories/clothing. We have had the dolls for years and my girls do not care what goes with which doll. They dress and play with the accessories according to what the dolls are "doing" and pick items from the catalog based on what they like, not the historical accuracy.

Felicity and Elizabeth are both beautiful, I would pick up the DVD at some point (I'm assuming the doll will come with the book). Some of the story lines in the DVD are heavy but neither of my DDs had issues with it.

Items my girls have enjoyed: brush, play food, suitcase (doll size), the pets, cast/crutches.

American Girl does run sales on occasion!

Neatfreak
11-23-2012, 02:26 AM
I don't think that you have a thing to worry about. My 8 year-old has a historical doll (Elizabeth), but none of the specific Felicty/Elizabeth accessories. She's happy to dress her doll in the outfits that she likes, no matter what variety of AG doll they were intended for. Her favourite accessories are the pets (currently, the rabbit from the Julie historical doll is the fave), but she's rather spend her pocket money on a new book than historically-accurate furniture. Not all girls are going to be interested in recreating the "history" - some are just happy playing with outfits and hairstyles.

cilantromapuche
11-23-2012, 08:52 AM
DD loves the salon, the "books" that have a dining set, school set. She likes to make books for them to read. She loves the pets too but pretty much anything small turns into a toy for the dolls.

elephantmeg
11-25-2012, 12:38 AM
I happened to run into this on amazon yesterday. This would be great with a historical doll
http://www.amazon.com/The-Queens-Treasures-Historical-Accessory/dp/B008SY6RBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353818164&sr=8-1&keywords=doll+accessories+historical
Etsy is a good source and there are lots of doll patterns out for 18 inch dolls if you sew.

HannaAddict
11-25-2012, 06:06 AM
Will sister be there when you unwrap?

I might substitute a different gift "from sister" and hold this one back until she is older, if you can.

Alternately, let it disappear after Christmas and come back out later, if necessary. Certainly downplay it ince it isn't a gift you want her to have yet.

Why? I really do not get this at all, it isn't inappropriate and withholding the gift seems awful to me. I would be hurt and angry if I was the gift giver. I really don't get why, not trying to be dense!

fivi2
11-25-2012, 11:24 AM
DD loves the salon, the "books" that have a dining set, school set. She likes to make books for them to read. She loves the pets too but pretty much anything small turns into a toy for the dolls.

Link to the school set, please?

vonfirmath
11-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Why? I really do not get this at all, it isn't inappropriate and withholding the gift seems awful to me. I would be hurt and angry if I was the gift giver. I really don't get why, not trying to be dense!

Because as Momma she doesn't want her kid having it yet. Its not an appropriate toy. My son got Legos last year. I switched it out for something more appropriate. Gift giver isn't here and is happy my kid got something he loves.

Of course, I guess we have a different gift philosophy in our house. Gifts are for the recipient to do with as they please. As my kids' parents, my husband and I make decisions in their best interest. Sometimes we hit right on. Sometimes we miss. But we do the best we can.

If Momma doesn't feel the doll is appropriate for her daughter or her relationship with her kid, then it makes sense to hold it back until it is appropriate.