PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

TwinFoxes
11-21-2012, 06:01 PM
I love Thanksgiving. And I love most of the foods (sorry, green bean casserole). What's your favorite? Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!

ETA: I forgot, my favorite is mashed potatoes, but I also love the turkey. It's a close call.

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Stuffing. Close second is mashed potatoes.

speo
11-21-2012, 06:20 PM
1) mashed potatoes
2)cranberry sauce - only homemade
3) roasted green beans with almonds

AnnieW625
11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Hands down the stuffing is my favorite, but I also am not a huge fan of stuffing made with corn bread, and I have never had a super fancy stuffing either so I don't know if I would actually like it or not. I like turkey and fresh veggies as well, but stuffing is yummy and the best. I don't care for sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, or cranberry sauce.

HonoluluMom
11-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Mmmmm, love turkey!

okinawama
11-21-2012, 06:37 PM
I LOVE green bean casserole. Every year I always wonder why in the world I only make it twice a year.

sste
11-21-2012, 06:41 PM
In my view, thanksgiving is a more than the sum of its parts meal. I am actually not crazy about any of the traditional foods - - in fact, it is the one time per year we have turkey or stuffing or cranberry sauce or pumpkin and I am not sure we are that unusual. I also don't love sweet potatoes as a standalone mash or the like though I like them incorporated into other dishes or in home-made baked fries. And pie I am iffy on too unless it is really well done which many thanksgiving pies are not.

But, I love the thanksgiving meal!!

Penny's Pappa
11-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Stuffing.

Close second is the turkey drumstick.

Pinky
11-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Macaroni and cheese?

Second favorite part is the dressing/stuffing!

wencit
11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Stuffing. Bonus points if it's cooked inside the bird (I know, I know), because then it absorbs all the delicious fatty turkey juices. Yum!

ZeeBaby
11-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I love stuffing made with turkey drippings. So yummy!

g-mama
11-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Stuffing but mashed potatoes are a close second. Oh, and how could I forget pumpkin pie?!

I feel my pants getting tight already.

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Stuffing but mashed potatoes are a close second. Oh, and how could I forget pumpkin pie?!

I feel my pants getting tight already.

That's why I plan to wear leggings tomorrow. ;)

Melaine
11-21-2012, 08:12 PM
dressing for me!!! DD2wants to vote, "pie" and DD1 says "sweet potatoes"!!!

hillview
11-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Man that is TOUGH. I voted pie but really it is
mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes
pie
stuffing
cranberries
brussel sprouts (if served)

boilermakermom
11-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Turkey. I love turkey!

Close second is my moms mashed potatoes. Dislike gravy. Just plain turkey and plain potatoes.

Best leftover is cheesy potato casserole made into patties and fried. Soo good!

ourbabygirl
11-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who likes plain white meat turkey and mashed potatoes without gravy! My mom is an awesome cook, but I'm very vanilla when it comes to my food choices. :)
I voted cranberries (she makes great homemade ones- the stuff in the can gives me the heeby-jeebies), but I also love the turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. She usually makes pumpkin and pecan, but if she made apple, too, I would be all over that.

Num, num. Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

ArizonaGirl
11-21-2012, 10:47 PM
GRAVY (it has got to be the real stuff)

P.S. This is the only reason that we don't deep fry or brine the turkey, because of the lack of a good gravy.

YUM

KpbS
11-22-2012, 03:48 AM
I truly love all of it! I could eat Thanksgiving foods each week and not grow tired of them.

queenmama
11-22-2012, 04:01 AM
MIL's "Chicken & dressing." No "stuffing" I've ever had can compare.

I also love her sweet potato crunch.

Lara

DrSally
11-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Ah, I guess I'm not alone in my stuffing lust! Love it in all incarnations, esp. With lots of extras, cranberries, walnuts, sausage. I wouldn't rank cranberry sauce as a fav, butI think it adds a lot to the turkey and dressing. Also, Costco pumpkin pie.

elektra
11-22-2012, 04:53 AM
In my view, thanksgiving is a more than the sum of its parts meal.

Definitely agree, but I actually like all the individual parts too.
But part of the draw for me is having the perfect proportions of turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy.

The other sides are just added bonus- I do like various forms of green beans, including the traditional version with the french fried onions!

DrSally
11-22-2012, 04:58 AM
Loove brussle sprouts if they're served, as well. Last year I did. Receipe posted here with a balsamic vinegar reduction. I think it was a PW receipe.

lizzywednesday
11-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Dressing!

When I was a kid, it was the only thing I would eat because the turkey was so dry - my Nana used to make a 20-something pound bird and it ALWAYS turned out super-dry. (Because of this, I thought I hated turkey until I tasted it prepared in a different way. I would actually dread Thanksgiving dinner every year because of the turkey and how I'd get harassed about not eating any.)

I like mashed potatoes OK, but I prefer mashed sweets to white (and DH's family doesn't do those.)

Pies are great, but I'm not the biggest fan of pumpkin pie, which is what we had every year growing up. I prefer sweet potato. (And this year I got maple-walnut ice cream to complement it; I think that'll be perfect, even though I'm not crazy about walnuts.)

mommytotwo
11-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Gravy with mashed potatoes.... the homemade gravy is the best...

ABO Mama
11-22-2012, 07:02 PM
My mom's stuffing with wild rice!

infomama
11-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Dressing followed by my new favorite...pioneer woman green bean casserole. Made it today for the first time and man was it a hit.

wendibird22
11-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Mashed potatoes w loads of real butter. Oh and cold leftover turkey sandwiches on white bread with mayo. Need to find a good replacement for white bread.

Fairy
11-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Stuffing! Mmmmm. I could eat just stuffing.

Nooknookmom
11-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Dressing ALL the way! Just ate some :) My moms recipe-I take it everywhere we go. It's a out of the bird recipe too. It rocks!

Fairy
11-23-2012, 04:42 PM
I could start a whole 'nother thread about whether it's supposed to be called stuffing or this odd "dressing" thing that is, clearly, something you put on salad.

;-)

citymama
11-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Pumpkin pie made by DH! The crust is soooo good.

crl
11-23-2012, 07:06 PM
I could start a whole 'nother thread about whether it's supposed to be called stuffing or this odd "dressing" thing that is, clearly, something you put on salad.

;-)

:hysterical: That is Dh's position as well. In my world, it is stuffing if you stuff it in the bird. Otherwise it is dressing.

Catherine

Fairy
11-23-2012, 10:23 PM
:hysterical: That is Dh's position as well. In my world, it is stuffing if you stuff it in the bird. Otherwise it is dressing.

Catherine

My friend says the same thing. I told her BAH! Heh.