PDA

View Full Version : Got a free Ipad mini!! A few quick questions

mikeys_mom
11-21-2012, 11:18 PM
We just got a free ipad mini courtesy of DH's firm. They had their 20th anniversary dinner tonight and gifted all staff an ipad. Super cool!! Lucky for me, DH is headed off to Detroit tonight with his buddies to go see the football game tomorrow so I get to set it up and play around with it :).

We are totally not Apple people. I have an older iTouch that I don't really use that much and that's about all the Apple devices in our house. I know there are lots of Apple-savvy people here so I've got a few questions;

- When I set it up, it's asking me for an Apple ID. Should I use the same one as from my iTouch or create a different one? Does it matter? Can I use more than one Apple ID on the same device?

- Can I share apps between the 2 devices? I thought I remember reading something about that? How do I set that up?

- Any recommended cases/covers? This will be mine and DH's device but we will let the kids use it. I don't want to have to worry about the screen shattering. DH has a BB Playbook that they use and he just has a leather cover for it, and it's been fine but the Playbook feels a bit sturdier than the ipad.

- Finally - any good apps both for kids and adults that I should look at?

Clarity
11-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes, use the same ID so you can share apps! You will then set up the iPad entity along side that if the iTouch but it will share apps and anything else that you want to sync.

No help of the mini-covers, sorry.

mikeys_mom
11-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Yes, use the same ID so you can share apps! You will then set up the iPad entity along side that if the iTouch but it will share apps and anything else that you want to sync.

No help of the mini-covers, sorry.

Thanks! So, this might sound like a silly questions but I really don't use the iTouch much - I assume that once I set my same ID, it just automatically "knows" which apps I have on the other device - yes? Or do I need to sync the two through my computer?

Going forward, when I download an app on the ipad does it automatically download onto the itouch as well or do I need to sync on a computer?

Also, I forgot that my iTouch is not up to date on the latest version of iOS. Does it matter?

Jupiter
11-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Yes they computer knows. When you plug it in, it will tell you. It won't automatically download but it might ask you. I use iCloud backup instead of the computer because its just easier and tells me when there are new versions of software.

I would update your software and apps.

Cases can be gotten anywhere. I have a cover that goes over the bottom of my iPad that I got at the Christmas tree shop for like $3 and its been great. Try also 5 below. There are some nice fancy ones if you want to spend the money though.

larig
11-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks! So, this might sound like a silly questions but I really don't use the iTouch much - I assume that once I set my same ID, it just automatically "knows" which apps I have on the other device - yes? Or do I need to sync the two through my computer?

Going forward, when I download an app on the ipad does it automatically download onto the itouch as well or do I need to sync on a computer?

Also, I forgot that my iTouch is not up to date on the latest version of iOS. Does it matter?

Like Jupiter said, it can know automatically. I believe that is one of the features of the newer OS. I agree, you should plug it in and update the OS on the touch. Then in settings you'll go to store and toggle on/off automatic downloads of apps/music/books. (you'll do the same on the iPad, and that way what you download in the future on the touch will also be downloaded to the iPad).

Here's a link to a guide at imore that might be helpful for you. (http://www.imore.com/how-setup-and-start-using-your-new-ipad-mini-or-ipad)

mikeys_mom
11-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the help.

I played around with it last night a bit and after spending some time fiddling with my itouch I figured out how to backup and update iOS. I seemed to have synced with 2 different computers at some point which made it a bit more complicated but I think I managed to get all my content back on the device. Didn't have much on it in the first place so I didn't really mind if stuff got lost.

I think I have iCloud figured out. You are both right, once I set up both devices to sync and share on iCloud, it just prompted me for what to do. So much easier than having to sync on a computer!!

When DH comes home tonight, we'll see if he prefers this over his playbook. He doesn't like Apple but was pretty excited to try this out. So far, I have to admit that I am actually liking the keyboard. That says a lot because I am a die-hard blackberry keyboard fan. It is pretty much the only reason I haven't yet upgraded my smartphone. I am posting here from the iPad and it is really not bad. I hate typing on the itouch but the bigger screen of the iPad is great.

larig
11-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the help.

I played around with it last night a bit and after spending some time fiddling with my itouch I figured out how to backup and update iOS. I seemed to have synced with 2 different computers at some point which made it a bit more complicated but I think I managed to get all my content back on the device. Didn't have much on it in the first place so I didn't really mind if stuff got lost.

I think I have iCloud figured out. You are both right, once I set up both devices to sync and share on iCloud, it just prompted me for what to do. So much easier than having to sync on a computer!!

When DH comes home tonight, we'll see if he prefers this over his playbook. He doesn't like Apple but was pretty excited to try this out. So far, I have to admit that I am actually liking the keyboard. That says a lot because I am a die-hard blackberry keyboard fan. It is pretty much the only reason I haven't yet upgraded my smartphone. I am posting here from the iPad and it is really not bad. I hate typing on the itouch but the bigger screen of the iPad is great.
When you're typing, you also will see a little tiny microphone next to the space bar, hit that button and you can dictate, and it will do the typing for you. (just say "comma," "period," etc. to get punctuation.)

AJP
11-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the free iPad. Its really easy to figure out and use!
I can't believe I never even knew about this microphone feature. So cool! I've been using iPhones and iPads for years and feel a little silly that I'm just learning this! Lol