PDA

View Full Version : Wheely bug or plasma car for "older" kid (4.5)?

Minnifer
11-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Amazon has the large wheely bug on a BF deal today - I got the small for DS for his 1st bday, and he's just now at 17 mos getting to be big/coordinated enough to start using it. DD (4.5) loves it and would ride it if I let her, but I kind of discourage it b/c of the weight limit (probably meaningless I know) and b/c I don't want her to get it all beat up b/4 DS has a chance to do that himself :p . So I was pondering getting the large one for her but wondered if that was crazy. We have a couple of other indoor ride on things but they are also baby size. She's tall, but can still scoot around on the small bug and I think might be ok on the big bug. Anyone have "older" kids that like it/use it?

ETA: I edited the title since it seems like the plasma car is a big contender for this age group and it's great hearing everyone's views on that too :)

Melarina
11-23-2012, 12:30 PM
My DD turned 5 in October and loves our large wheely bee. She is very tall for her age but manages to scoot around on it just fine.

Melarina
11-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Also, if you get the large one it will be great for your younger child eventually too :)

Melaine
11-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I say go for it unless she is really really tall. My girls still ride them at 6, they loved them especially from 3.5-5.5...now they are tall but still play with them a lot. (they are pretty tall for their age anyway).

jerseygirl
11-23-2012, 12:37 PM
We have a wheely bug, but not sure what size it is. My DC's moved onto the plasma cars once they had enough dexterity to handle it.

Melaine
11-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I am sure the plasma cars would be fun, and I actually bought two at one point and sold them. For us, we have a really small house and the wheely bugs are tiny so they are great. There is room to use them and store them, we just couldn't fit the plasma cars. Plus I think the wheely bugs are so cute and we have them in our living room often and they look nice.

Jacksmommy2b
11-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Ds1 is 6.5 and plays with the wheely mouse more than the kid we bought it for :).

He is small for his age but he has no problem throwing himself around the house on it.

I would say go for it!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

kristac
11-23-2012, 02:49 PM
My almost 8 year old still plays with our large wheely bug.

Minnifer
11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys! Of course, I posted only a few minutes before it was a deal, and although I had it in my cart, couldn't decide in time. It was $50, so I guess I will just keep an eye out to see if there's another good deal on it between now and Christmas. I do think she'd have fun with it :)

Jacksmommy2b
11-23-2012, 04:42 PM
If you run, diaperjunction.com has the large wheely bee for $58.50 shipped!

One left stock as of 3:42!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Minnifer
11-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I realized last night that the B&N 30% works on the wheely bug which would bring it down to close to the Amazon sale price... but then this morning noticed that the Kohls 20% works on the Plasma car, bringing it to $44, so decided to go with that. Not sure if it was the right decision or not... can always return the car to Kohls if I panic/get buyer's remorse. Right now we have enough space for it but we're renting so not sure going forward if we will, so it was a bit of a leap.

Momit
11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I realized last night that the B&N 30% works on the wheely bug which would bring it down to close to the Amazon sale price... but then this morning noticed that the Kohls 20% works on the Plasma car, bringing it to $44, so decided to go with that. Not sure if it was the right decision or not... can always return the car to Kohls if I panic/get buyer's remorse. Right now we have enough space for it but we're renting so not sure going forward if we will, so it was a bit of a leap.

We have both. DS uses the Wheely Bug inside and the Plasma Car outside. The Wheely Bug is so much more maneuverable that it works well inside, the Plasma Car doesn't IMO.

ETA when we first got the Plasma Car we had it inside for a few days. DS just pushed it around with his legs. Once we brought it outside he liked it much better. He goes down the driveway to get a little speed then uses the arm motion to keep it going.

Minnifer
11-24-2012, 11:44 AM
We have both. DS uses the Wheely Bug inside and the Plasma Car outside. The Wheely Bug is so much more maneuverable that it works well inside, the Plasma Car doesn't IMO.

ETA when we first got the Plasma Car we had it inside for a few days. DS just pushed it around with his legs. Once we brought it outside he liked it much better. He goes down the driveway to get a little speed then uses the arm motion to keep it going.

Oh, oops, really? I was planning on having it be an inside toy. Maybe I should get the Wheely after all and just plan on returning the Plasma car. The only sort of gender neutral one they have (since I don't think I want another bee) is the pig, not sure if I love it or if a boy would be into it (when DS gets bigger and takes it over). My other new concern is that I had DD get on the bee this morning and she's now so gigantic on it I'm not even sure the large will work after all. Hmmm...

zukeypur
11-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I got one for my then 5 year old last Christmas. She's now 6 and races her 2 year old sister around the house all.the.time.

ETA: I ordered one from B&N last year and they canceled the order. They seem to do that with more expensive items. I think they have sellers remorse.

ahisma
11-24-2012, 12:21 PM
They're OOS at Kohls - bummer because they had a great sale on them. totally deleted from the system now:(

Is there a decent price for them somewhere now that I'm missing? We have one and need another.

kristac
11-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Re- plasma car. We have both the big wheely bug and a plasma car inside. The plasma car is always first choice for all my kids 3-(almost)8. The wheely bug is a close second but the plasma car gets the most love and is the fastest in all the "races".

AngelaS
11-25-2012, 08:45 AM
My kids ride the plasma cars inside. They love them.

Minnifer
11-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Well, I couldn't resist the yoyo deal on wheely bugs just now so now I've got one of those on the way in addition to the plasma car :bag. 'Tis the season of my insanity, lol. I figure I will assess them both when they get here and return one of them. Still happy to hear more views on pros and cons of each for DD :D

ahisma
11-25-2012, 01:03 PM
I guess it depends on the size / floorplan of your house. We have a small house w/ 5 people. No way could we ride the plasma car inside. The wheely bug is prefect inside our house and is well loved.