PDA

View Full Version : Our entire Black Friday was spent...at the doctor's office and then the ER

goldenpig
11-24-2012, 05:01 AM
I was on call the whole week before, working straight up to 5 pm Wed so I was already exhausted. Plus one of my cats was sick and I took him to the vet and now he is on antibiotics for a UTI. We are now in SoCal visiting my MIL for Thanksgiving. We drove down at midnight Wed, drove all night and arrived Thursday morning. Neither of the kids slept Thursday afternoon so DS fell asleep at 4 pm and missed Thanksgiving dinner. He has had a night-time fever and has been coughing for the past four days. He kept waking up every 1-2 hours last night and complained that his ear hurt and had a fever of 102. So this morning he woke up at 6 am and we ended up taking him to a pediatrician here (after having to wait for an advice nurse to call us back first to approve us scheduling an appointment and having to get him registered in the SoCal system). Then waiting all morning to be seen and then for pharmacy to fill his meds so we were there for 3.5 hours. DS had an ear infection (his first) and she also said she thinks he might have reactive airway disease from RSV. He hated the nebulizer and was crying so hard the whole time, poor little guy. We had to force antibiotics down his mouth and then just gave him a Tylenol suppository because it was such a fight to get the meds down. He was pretty listless this morning, but was doing a little better this evening after all the meds kicked in, which is good.

Then this evening DD and I were sitting together and playing Grandma's piano and we were scooting down the bench and somehow I bumped into her and she fell off the piano bench right onto her left shoulder. It was just a couple of feet, but she was crying so hard and not consolable (which is unusual for her) so we immediately took her to the ER because we knew something must be wrong. It took us another 3.5 hours there to get seen and get films, and it turns out her clavicle is fractured (mid-shaft, nondisplaced). OMG--I feel horribly guilty. She was so brave throughout all this, but she was definitely in pain. We gave her some ibuprofen and ice cream and she is in a sling. I think she'll recover OK eventually, but I just feel so bad for her...her favorite activity is swinging on the monkey bars and she won't be able to do that for at least a couple of months until she heals. We didn't get home and get the kids to bed until 10 pm. First thing she did when she got back to Grandma's was hop back up onto the piano and started playing again, LOL!

Aaagh. My poor kiddos! Gives new meaning to the term Black Friday. We are driving back home all night tomorrow. Please no more disasters! We just want to make it back home safe!

ETA: It's 2 am, DS has woken up twice already and DD just woke up crying with a bloody nose and bled all over her sling. It's going to be another long night...

Staraglimmer
11-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Hugs!!! That does not sound fun. I hope both feel better soon!

crl
11-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Oh no. I am so sorry. I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Catherine

HannaAddict
11-24-2012, 06:29 AM
So sorry. Hugs to your crew and hang in there.

hillview
11-24-2012, 07:17 AM
wow that stinks I am just so so sorry! HUGS

TwinFoxes
11-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Ugh, that's awful. I hope they bounce back soon. Poor you!

KrisM
11-24-2012, 07:52 AM
So sorry. I hope they recover quickly and you can all get some rest.

georgiegirl
11-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Wow, when it rains, it pours! Hope everyone feels better son and you can get some seep.

MamaMolly
11-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Oh my goodness! And here I was feeling sorry for myself because we have 3 cases of strep. Doesn't even compare! Hopefully you are all done, mama!!

liz
11-24-2012, 08:56 AM
:hug: Hope your kiddos feel better soon!

DS2 had his clavicle broken when DH gave the boys a wild ride in our radio flyer wagon. He still feels terrible to this day, but DS2 healed fast and did great even with restrictions.

g-mama
11-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Oh my goodness, what a string of bad luck you have had. I'm sorry! I hope things turn around and everyone is feeling better soon. I broke my collarbone as a child and it was awful!

doberbrat
11-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Oh my goodness you poor thing! Lets hope the whole "bad luck runs in 3s" holds true for you ... you guys certainly need a break!

Melbel
11-24-2012, 09:58 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your rough Thanksgiving. Wishing your DC speedy recoveries!

Pennylane
11-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Oh no, you poor thing! Hope things settle down soon!

Ann

♥ms.pacman♥
11-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Holy carp..sounds like u guys have been thru the wringer this weekend. And here I was feeling tired after roadtrip and dealing with cosleeping (nonsleeping?) toddlers in a hotel room ...doesnlt even compare . Am so sorry. Hope the drive back goes smoothly for u guys.

okinawama
11-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Yikes! I'm so sorry that your holiday was so rough! Don't make things harder on yourself by feeling guilty, accidents happen!

hopeful_mama
11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Oh dear, so sorry for your poor kids, I hope they feel better quickly and the rest of the holiday season is as uneventful as possible. :grouphug:

StantonHyde
11-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Ugh, that is too much for any week, let alone day!! And, as I saw you say something about--let's hope we rest tonight, I thought--not with a broken clavicle. They are really painful, unsleepable, etc!! So sorry. May you get home safely and be able to relax in your own space!!

mjs64
11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Oh, sounds beyond awful. Here's hoping everyone will feel a little better at home.

elektra
11-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh no!!!! What a nightmare- hope everyone is feeling much better soon!

brgnmom
11-24-2012, 06:45 PM
yikes, that sounds overwhelming. :hug: :hug: :hug: I hope that you and your family have a better weekend, and that your kids feel better soon. have a safe trip home. :hug: :hug: :hug:

twowhat?
11-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Oh wow. That SUCKS. Though I will admit I was secretly relieved because before I clicked I thought YOU were the one who ended up at the ER. So a broken clavicle was good news, LOL.

Hoping everyone recovers quickly and that you get some much-needed REST!

echoesofspring
11-25-2012, 12:20 AM
this sounds just terrible! hope you guys have a better weekend and everyone gets well soon!

ijopint
11-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Hope your girl is recovering fine. You deserve a much needed rest as well.take it easy.