PDA

View Full Version : talk me in or out of moon sand

hillview
11-25-2012, 02:47 PM
DS2 loves the moon sand at his kindergarten class -- he has some AHDH sensory issues. His teachers suggested getting some at home. I have heard it is super messy. Our dining room table is just off the kitchen and the table is rarely used. It is on a tile floor (easy to clean). Is this a BAD idea?

zukeypur
11-25-2012, 03:01 PM
OUT!!!!!!! It is horrible to clean. You can't sweep it because it sticks to the broom, you can't vacuum it because it clogs the vacuum. Let the school deal with it, and save your sanity.

SnuggleBuggles
11-25-2012, 03:04 PM
He has it at school. Unnecessary to get it for home. What about a ball filled with sand, like a stress ball?

Clarity
11-25-2012, 03:18 PM
YES. Bad idea! We tried moon sand just once, outdoors, and it was still the messiest thing I have ever given my children. I'd rather just give them sand - and I hate sand too, so that's saying a lot. Moon sand stuck everywhere, was difficult to brush off and clean up and was just generally unpleasant to deal with. I'm always surprised that classrooms manage to incorporate it because of the mess that ensues. I would say skip the moon sand and make some homemade doughs, like salt dough that can be rolled molded, or oobleck which is made with cornstarch. Both of these could provide similar sensory experiences but not be so crazy messy to clean up when you are done.

katydid1971
11-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Run, don't walk away from Moon Sand, its a HORRIBLE mess.

SkyrMommy
11-25-2012, 04:14 PM
AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :banghead: That sums up my reaction to cleaning up moon sand.

I think it is probably the most awful thing to clean and this is coming from the perspective of having a full art studio of my own and letting DD use all kinds of supplies from clay to paints and plaster.

jerigirl
11-25-2012, 04:23 PM
The joke in my playgroup was that you only gave MoonSand to people you didn't like. It is the devil :angry-smiley-005:

AlbrightRC
11-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm considering Floam for my little sensory seeking boy. Moon Sand is the devil

kristac
11-25-2012, 05:32 PM
The joke in my playgroup was that you only gave MoonSand to people you didn't like. It is the devil :angry-smiley-005:

Agreed. MIL sent some and DH had to reassure me that she didn't know and it was not meant to be a sign of aggression.

7pages
11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
I concur...hate moon sand!!

niccig
11-25-2012, 08:48 PM

:yeahthat: and Lucky Ducks are the revenge gifts. Must admit I had to make myself NOT purchase either for some extended not-nice family members.

hillview
11-25-2012, 08:58 PM
ok the tribe has spoken! thanks. No sand for us. I will see what else I can drum up.

lalasmama
11-25-2012, 10:44 PM
ok the tribe has spoken! thanks. No sand for us. I will see what else I can drum up.

Some florists have sand-filled balloons they use a weights for balloon bouquets. Might work, especially for pressure-seekers. Also bean tubs, sand tubs... We do whip cream tubs sometimes for the gooey-seeking times. Have you read "The Out Of Sync Child Has Fun"? Millions of great ideas in there based on the stimulation they seek out.

hillview
11-26-2012, 08:59 AM
SHave you read "The Out Of Sync Child Has Fun"? Millions of great ideas in there based on the stimulation they seek out.
NO thanks!! I have the original book. thanks !!

lalasmama
11-26-2012, 11:07 AM
NO thanks!! I have the original book. thanks !!

The "Has Fun" book is simply amazing. DD is ADHD, and can also occasionally become a sensory seeker more than an average child. The book has helped us immensely. And it doesn't cover "just" hand-held tactile stim--there's stuff in there for deep muscles, the vestibular kind (blanking on name), and such. Definitely worth looking into! While it hasn't changed out life completely, when DD is having a seeking day, it has helped a lot!