PDA

View Full Version : ISO iPad deal and 101 Education

Jen841
11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
3G or no 3G? We want it for 'the family'. We have a desktop and laptop in the household already (in addition to work PC's)

ahisma
11-26-2012, 11:42 AM
It really depends on whether or not you will use it out of the house.

I went with 3G because I envisioned using it out of the house for work -but I wound up consulting at home and have 3G at most of my client's offices - plus I just bring my laptop anyway.

For family use, we rarely use 3G. Video streaming eats up your data plan, too $$$ on 3G IMO. I do use the 3G when we're at the cottage to check email, etc...but only turn it on for those few months of the year. I wouldn't miss it if we didn't have it. The kids rarely do anything that requires a connection.

That said, we have iPhones that we use for maps, emails in the car, etc. If we didn't have those, maybe we'd use the 3G more. Personally, if I had it to do again, I'd skip the 3G.

zukeypur
11-26-2012, 01:21 PM
We have had our iPad for over a year and have never used the 3G. The only place we would have used it is camping in CO, but we had spotty service and it wouldn't have worked well.

My dad just decided to get a 16gb wifi only because he really just wants it to surf the web, check emails,and read the paper.

pastrygirl
11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't have 3G and don't miss it. If I'm somewhere that doesn't have wi-fi, I just tether it to my (android) phone.

legaleagle
11-26-2012, 02:05 PM
We have 2 ipads, neither have 3G and we've never missed it. The kids do watch streaming videos on it at home but when we're out they either play games or watch the videos we've loaded onto it and are perfectly happy.

Twins2000
11-26-2012, 02:10 PM
For a deal, I bought each of my twins a refurb iPad 3 (no 3G) through Apple, for $379 each. Each day Apple.com has some available (at varying times).

janine
11-26-2012, 03:27 PM
IPAD dummy here..so if you opt for a version without 3G, is this basically the same as the Kindle Fire?