PDA

View Full Version : Let's be a bit more realistic

mytwosons
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
My sister has been entitled her entire life. It seems she also feels her children are entitled as well.

She is divorced but her XH had $$$ and she got an amazing settlement. Her networth is higher than mine or my parents'. But, since she divorced, she always plays the "poor card" . I think she forgot she shared the settlement details with me....

Her gifts to my sons never exceed $10, which is fine. But then don't expect me to purchase an AG doll for your child. I can't wait to see what she suggests for the other child....

belovedgandp
11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Um, yeah, if we're doing a gift exchange the price ranges are generally close to each other. I feel like brother/SIL and I are still feeling each other out on what we're spending on nieces/nephews. But if asked suggestions I give a wide range of price options and admit to not being completely consistent to set price point either. If there's a great deal or I find the perfect thing then I go with that not the dollar amount.

But an AG doll is a pretty set price point and easily not comparable to any ten dollar deal.

hbridge
11-26-2012, 05:24 PM
The MiniDolls usually run about $15 on Amazon......

mytwosons
11-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Good idea! My sister sent the link to the FS doll and I didn't know about the minis.

Do girls usually have minis of the same doll they have FS or should I get a different one?

mytwosons
11-27-2012, 09:02 AM
And....not interested in mini dolls.

Guess what? She's getting a mini.

crl
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
I would definitely not ask her for suggestions and ignore them if they come in any way. Sorry she's so selfish.

Catherine

scrooks
11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Maybe you could talk to her about setting a budgets for all the kids gifts. Something that works for you. You can tell her to start with that you guys have a set budget for all gifts and $100 + doll for one child will blow the budget.

Ps... Sorry to give advice in a bitch ... Fwiw her request is crappy and selfish!

mytwosons
11-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Maybe you could talk to her about setting a budgets for all the kids gifts. Something that works for you. You can tell her to start with that you guys have a set budget for all gifts and $100 + doll for one child will blow the budget.

Ps... Sorry to give advice in a bitch ... Fwiw her request is crappy and selfish!

I did tell her $100 was well outside of my budget, but I could do a mini from amazon.

She has stated she is held to no more than $10/kid, but then tries to increase that for her kids claiming we can afford more because I work FTOH (she refuses to get a job and bashes WOTH moms to my face, but that's another BP). When she told me a mini isn't wanted, she suggested a GC for partial amount...her daughter might not have anything to open on xmas, but it would be better than nothing, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm going to see if I can easily order a GC, in the amount that I am comfortable with, and be done with it.

elliput
11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Sounds to me like a $10 GC is appropriate. :)

Mommy_Mea
11-27-2012, 04:08 PM

:yeahthat:

Sorry she is being so selfish :(

peanut520
11-27-2012, 04:42 PM

:yeahthat:

fivi2
11-27-2012, 05:07 PM
How old is your niece? I would hesitate to do a gc that won't actually buy anything. Your sis will use that against you with your niece, I would think. For the sake of my relationship with the niece, I might try to get an appropriately priced item you think she would like and ignore the request. (Sorry I know this is the bp. But this sounds a lot like my sister)

icunurse
11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Michaels has AG craft sets and 50% off coupons in the sales paper every week around the holidays. They also sell 18 inch doll clothes that run about $4 when you use the coupon, in case her current doll needs more clothes...

hbridge
11-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I would do a mini-doll and/or a historical movie/book. There is NO way I would give a GC to American Girl (shipping would be too much) or give more than I feel comfortable with given the attitude.

Anyway, how does the mom know the child wouldn't want a mini-doll?

DD LOVES her mini-dolls and plays with them more than her 18" or any other doll she owns :).

The other idea is to scrap the AG idea and go "off list" :)

Good luck, it sounds miserable.

niccig
11-28-2012, 01:12 AM
I would get an AG outfit for her current doll (if she has one) if that is w/i budget or let us help you find something off list.

DH asked his mum about presents for his sister's kids, as SIL never replied to me about present ideas. DH was told "family membership to the zoo". He agreed! I was like "Heck No!" And I got them things to open under the tree.

It's a suggestion, not an order. Get what you want them to have.

LizLemon
11-28-2012, 01:27 AM
I did tell her $100 was well outside of my budget, but I could do a mini from amazon.

She has stated she is held to no more than $10/kid, but then tries to increase that for her kids claiming we can afford more because I work FTOH (she refuses to get a job and bashes WOTH moms to my face, but that's another BP). When she told me a mini isn't wanted, she suggested a GC for partial amount...her daughter might not have anything to open on xmas, but it would be better than nothing, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm going to see if I can easily order a GC, in the amount that I am comfortable with, and be done with it.

Wow. I can't believe the entitlement! Tell her you have really taken her points on working outside the home to heart, so this year you have no choice but to cut back on gifts if you have any chance of staying home with your kids someday! :ROTFLMAO:

mytwosons
11-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Wow. I can't believe the entitlement! Tell her you have really taken her points on working outside the home to heart, so this year you have no choice but to cut back on gifts if you have any chance of staying home with your kids someday! :ROTFLMAO:

:rotflmao: I love it!

I had no idea Michael's sells AG craft sets. I would feel terrible just sending a mini doll if my DN really doesn't like them, but I think a craft set with the mini doll will be great! Thank you all for the suggestions! The evil part of me wanted to send a ton of candy or nailpolish/makeup, but I will refrain.

MamaMolly
11-28-2012, 10:59 AM
If you were truly evil you'd send Moon Sand or the Lucky Ducks game. I think you are a lovely Auntie, and a much nicer sister than she is being!

LizLemon
11-28-2012, 07:15 PM
I had a situation nowhere near this bad, but on a smaller scale. My dad has two brothers - all three families are comfortable financially, but the two SILs (my aunts) are notoriously stingy with things like gifts. My mom is generous, makes an effort to get people gifts they like. So at Christmas, my siblings and I would be getting this awful crap, like clothes bought on clearance that were out of season, didn't fit and couldn't be returned, whereas my cousins would get really nice stuff from my family. My aunts stopped sending us birthday presents when we were around 18, which is completely fine. My mom tried to stop sending my cousins birthday gifts when they were in their 20s, and one my aunt calls to ask if my mom forgot to put the check in the card!

It sounds like your kids are too young to really notice the discrepancy now but it might be something to think about in the future. I know I can be petty about these things, but it did bug me after a while.

sophiesmom03
11-28-2012, 08:11 PM

Um, so her limit to buy is $10 and yours is $100? PER KID? No.

I am the one on the low end of the budget in my family - I routinely give $15-$20 gifts (but try really hard to find stuff on good sales etc. so that the "value" is higher). My sisters routinely give my DC gifts that probably cost twice that, AND they often give me a $20 or so gift (we've agreed not to exchange gifts among adults...but they do anyway). When I've mentioned to them that I'm limited in means, they ask me to please let them spoil their youngest nieces and nephews, that they enjoy it.

I guess my point is, we have the conversation. And I appreciate their generosity. And I would be totally fine with it if they decided they needed to cut back.

I'm sorry, OP, that your sister is such a piece of work. :(