PDA

View Full Version : radian R120 vs rxt. How long to stay in RXT?

Swallowbird23
11-26-2012, 12:23 PM
We need 3 carseats for DD (13 months, 31", 20lbs, so a bit on the tall side but not off the charts) My car, DH's car, and MIL's car. MIL watches DD daily and DH share drop off/pick up so she's in all 3 cars frequently.

We have 2 Radian RXT's. DD seems to like the seat so we were thinking of just buying another for the 3rd car. I originally bought this seat because I want to rear-face a lot longer and had planned on using this seat for a LONG time. However, I've recently read people do not care for the headwings on the RXT because they slip down and because they cut the life of the seat shorter due to shoulder height and hitting the wings.

How much do the headwings really cut the life? Would a typical child be able to use the RXT as a seatbelt booster? (or at least long enough to not need another convertible seat?) Ideally I'd keep DD is a 5 point harness as long as possible before switching to a seatbelt booster. Do kids hate the headwings on a booster as they get older (limits their view?)

Our other option would be to buy the R120 for the third seat instead of the RXT to hopefully get more use out of at least 1 of the 3 seats as she gets taller. (I initially liked the headwings for DH's little civic for a little extra protection in a small car but maybe that's not necessary?)

I guess my main question is....Should I buy another RXT for the headwing protection or just buy an R120 and hope for longer use out of it?

Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far!!

(On a side note, I suppose I could use these for 2 years or so and then buy new seats for DD1 again and use these for our second child (not pregnant yet, so this is about 2-2.5 years away if all works out as planned) I'm just trying to buy seats that last the longest to limit the # of new seats I need to buy since I have to buy in sets of 3)

roseyloxs
11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Unless your child has a long torso and short legs I probably wouldn't worry about the head wings impeding full use of the RXT. Diono lists that both seats accomodate kids up to 57".

Amazon has the RXT for $219 (http://www.amazon.com/Diono-RadianRXT-Convertible-Seat-Daytona/dp/B005MQR9TM) in a few colors (not the plum unfortunately, which is the one I want).

Justkidsstore has it for $215 (http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/diono/radian-rxt-car-seat/plum). This is free shipping too (except not to me because I have an APO address which makes this deal moot.. I really want that plum seat, dd would LOVE IT!).

legaleagle
11-26-2012, 01:49 PM
I believe the only reason the headwings really impede the use longer is that diono allows you to have the shoulders above the top slot (unlike all other manufacturers, AFAIK). I personally wouldn't use it with the shoulders above the slots anyway because I'm not convinced of the safety of it and it's not as comfortable.

The diono seats do not make particularly good boosters, it's generally outgrown the same time as the harness and some kids will never hit the 50 lb minimum anyway. That said, esp if you're planning on another kid I wouldn't give that a second thought. I don't believe any of the 3-in-1s really do all things well and boosters are much cheaper than convertibles.