PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help with infant seats

sg2106
11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on these boards for awhile and this is my first post :waving4:

So I'm due with my first baby in March (it's a boy!) and my husband and I have done a lot of stroller shopping and our front runner is compatible with Graco and Maxi-Cosi infant car seats. I know that it's not ideal to keep the baby in the infant seat for extended periods of time, but I'd like to have the option for quick errands and such so choosing a compatible seat is important to me. I also understand that the Maxi-Cosi Mico doesn't get a lot of love here (although what the specific concerns are I'm not sure) and that Gracos are generally well regarded. So I have two questions:

1. What's the issue with the Mico?

2. Assuming I'm going with a Snugride, the three different versions with the three different bases have me a little confused. I think I'm in the minority here, but when I went to BBB I actually preferred the size of the original 22. While I could see the appeal of the 35, for me it just seemed so much bigger and heavier. However, from what I gather, the base of the 35 is superior to the original snugride base (it's easier to install, lock-offs, etc.) Is that correct? On top of that, the 30 has a completely different base? How is its install compared with the 22 and 35? I don't think it has a seat belt lock off but I could be wrong. At the end of the day I really just want a safe, easy to install seat. Can I go wrong with any of these?

Other pertinent info: We live in the south so epic, freezing winters that might require extended infant seat use aren't a particular concern. And my husband and I are on the shorter side so we're not worried about the seat fitting--although for various reasons I think we'll position this seat outboard in our '02 Accord (which has latch).

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts! I'm sorry if I'm over thinking this :confused:

legaleagle
11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Welcome and congrats! Which strollers are you considering? The cybex aton is a fabulous infant seat and compatible with all maxi cosi adapters. They're coming out with the aton 2 this winter (I think) that has awesome European style safety features that I would strongly consider since your car is 10 years old and you're installing outboard. I'm not an infant seat person because I have huge kids that never stay asleep when the car stops but if I was buying one, the aton/aton 2 are the only ones I'd consider.

And feel free to come over to the stroller forum too!

baringlake
11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
We went with the Snugride 22 for the very reason you mentioned -- size. It seemed so much lighter, and I couldn't imagine lugging a bigger car seat plus baby around and not throwing out my back. We used the Snugride 22 till DS was about 5 mos old and then switched to a rf'ing convertible car seat. DS plus the Snugride 22 seemed heavy to me by the time he reached 5 mos, so I can't imagine doing a heavier infant seat! My friend who got the Snugride 32 ended up switching her son to a convertible seat around the same time because she also couldn't handle lugging him around in the infant seat.

As for install, I've never tried to install the other sizes of Snugrides, so I can't really compare. But I can say that DH and I never had trouble getting the Snugride 22 bases installed in our cars (Toyota and Nissan).

Joolsplus2
11-27-2012, 03:29 PM
:wavey:
Mico can be a booger to install with a seatbelt, might not be a problem with LATCH. (And does it have a puzzle/compound buckle? I forget, those can be annoying to try to buckle with a squirmy baby)
I'd recommend the Snugride 30 because it offers vastly more fit options for smaller and larger babies. It has a similar base to the snugride 22, but it fits in the snugride 35 base as well, which is an ideal base for putting in with a seatbelt (should you decide to put it in the middle). It also has better EPS foam for increased head protection, and is about as light as the 22 (it's virtually the same seat, slightly taller shell, and more slots to fit different heights better).
Even if you think you won't use an infant seat very long, it's nice to have the *option* to use it an extra couple months, say, in a second car, or if you do any air travel...or if this is your 'first' baby, you might want to use the seat again, and having a seat for a little bit longer when you also have a toddler/preschooler to wrangle can be lifesaving ;)

legaleagle
11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Jools - have you played with the MC Prezi yet? Is it compatible with the mico stroller adapters?

edurnemk
11-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Welcome and congrats! Which strollers are you considering? The cybex aton is a fabulous infant seat and compatible with all maxi cosi adapters. They're coming out with the aton 2 this winter (I think) that has awesome European style safety features that I would strongly consider since your car is 10 years old and you're installing outboard. I'm not an infant seat person because I have huge kids that never stay asleep when the car stops but if I was buying one, the aton/aton 2 are the only ones I'd consider.

And feel free to come over to the stroller forum too!

:yeahthat: I love our Aton, and like PP said it uses Maxi Cosi adapters. It's easy to install, compact and light (but has a high weight limit so should last long). Fits tiny babies very well and IMHO DD seems more comfortable in it than DS ever did in his Graco SafeSeat (previous version of the Snugride). Oh and the fabric is not sweaty at all, which is an issue with other car seats. Only issue is the canopy is kind of lousy, but I drape a light blanket over the canopy and handle to shield her from the sun when necessary.

The Mico is not liked because it's hard to install correctly IIRC.

Jupiter
11-27-2012, 04:28 PM
There is also the graco click connect. It's is what I am getting. It isn't that much heavier and it goes to 40 pounds. Contrary to many people's believe you do not have to change carseats just because you don't want to carry the infant seat with you. I will still use the seat long after I can no longer carry the baby in it. It will just live in the car like any other carseat. I like that I will get at least 2 years out of it. However I don't know what other strollers it is compatible with. I know it's a new design and isn't compatible with other graco strollers. But I like the stroller that it does work with.

sg2106
11-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone for commenting, I really appreciate it!

So I'm going to scratch the Mico off the list. I'm sure it's a perfectly good seat when installed correctly but if getting to that install is more difficult than why bother? I had completely forgotten that the Aton works with Maxi-Cosi adapters. I've read here that it's a great seat but there also have been some reviews (maybe on Amazon?) where babies have been cutting their legs on some part of the seat--has anyone else heard that or is it just an urban legend? I'll probably want to make a purchase by sometime in Feb at the latest so we'll see where the Aton 2 is at by then. If it's not out, does the regular Aton have safety features that the Snugrides don't have? If I go with a Snugride I think I'll be taking Jools advice about the 30. It's almost the same weight as the 22 and it sounds like it's a little more versatile.

Legaleagle--I'm sure you'll see me on the stroller boards (I started lurking there first)! I've had my heart set on a stroller with a reversible seat and after playing with a lot of different strollers we've decided to go with the Mutsy Evo! Like most full-featured strollers though, it's a decent size, so for a light weight stroller were going with the Babyhome Emotion. It wasn't even on my radar screen but I stumbled upon it at a small boutique and now I have to have it.

I'll post again once I've seen the Aton in person. Thanks again!

edurnemk
11-27-2012, 10:30 PM
I've read here that it's a great seat but there also have been some reviews (maybe on Amazon?) where babies have been cutting their legs on some part of the seat--has anyone else heard that or is it just an urban legend?

No issues with ours. I also read that on a review on Amazon, but I don't know if it's true, another reviewer mentioned they just put tape over the Cybex logo. But in our seat it's not sharp at all.

The only issue is the canopy, really, I hope they improve it for the Aton 2. Other than that I should just mention that the seat tends to rattle a bit in the base when empty or when baby is very light. It doesn't mean it's not snapped in correctly or anything (I checked with the experts here on the BBB), it's just because of the materials (metal on metal), it used to freak me out the first month but since DD hit 8-9 lb it stopped rattling.

legaleagle
11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Oooh, can't wait for your evo & emotion reviews, I don't think anyone here has actually gotten either one.

There is also the graco click connect. It's is what I
am getting. It isn't that much heavier and it goes to 40 pounds. Contrary to many people's believe you do not have to change carseats just because you don't want to carry the infant seat with you. I will still use the seat long after I can no longer carry the baby in it. It will just live in the car like any other carseat. I like that I will get at least 2 years out of it. However I don't know what other strollers it is compatible with. I know it's a new design and isn't compatible with other graco strollers. But I like the stroller that it does work with.

The only issue with this is many people want to rf well past 2 (well, people online, I don't know anyone IRL, sadly) and I can't imagine trying to wrestle a screaming 2 year old into an infant seat, even a large one. So you end up buying a convertible anyway.

Jupiter
11-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Oooh, can't wait for your evo & emotion reviews, I don't think anyone here has actually gotten either one.

I have the car seat and its very nice, I just don't have the baby to put in it yet! I'll let you know. I get the stroller next week at my shower.

The only issue with this is many people want to rf well past 2 (well, people online, I don't know anyone IRL, sadly) and I can't imagine trying to wrestle a screaming 2 year old into an infant seat, even a large one. So you end up buying a convertible anyway.

The click connect moves so it sits up straighter as the child grows. I am not sure what the difference would be putting her in the click connect as opposed to a convertible.

edurnemk
11-28-2012, 02:35 PM
The click connect moves so it sits up straighter as the child grows. I am not sure what the difference would be putting her in the click connect as opposed to a convertible.

Is the shell as tall as regular convertibles? I'd imagine it would have to be humongous to fit a 3 yo, which is how long we RF (my DS just hit 40 lb at almost 5 yo, we turned him FF at 3.5 yo when he hit 35 lb).

The other con is the lack of stroller compatibility, I don't think the compatible stroller would've fit my particular needs (I had a Graco stroller briefly and sold it since it was such a bad fit for our lifestyle - plus, lets face it, I'm a push snob).

The idea seems great though, especially for travel, I would've loved to have a seat that clicked on a stroller at 2 yo when traveling. But for every day the truth is I stopped taking the infant seat out of the car well before 12 months, it was just too heavy with DS in it.

legaleagle
11-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Granted, I haven't seen one in person but convertibles generally have much lower sides than infant seats so much easier for a toddler to climb in themselves (on a good day), or for you to reach in and wrestle the harness closed (most days currently with my feisty 2.5 year old). Granted, I have huge strong kids but even at 16 months I was grateful for the lower sides of the radian vs the marathon for getting DS2 into the seat.

How tall is the shell on the click connect? It does seem great for travel.

LizLemon
11-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Is the shell as tall as regular convertibles? I'd imagine it would have to be humongous to fit a 3 yo, which is how long we RF (my DS just hit 40 lb at almost 5 yo, we turned him FF at 3.5 yo when he hit 35 lb).

The other con is the lack of stroller compatibility, I don't think the compatible stroller would've fit my particular needs (I had a Graco stroller briefly and sold it since it was such a bad fit for our lifestyle - plus, lets face it, I'm a push snob).

The idea seems great though, especially for travel, I would've loved to have a seat that clicked on a stroller at 2 yo when traveling. But for every day the truth is I stopped taking the infant seat out of the car well before 12 months, it was just too heavy with DS in it.
I agree. For me at least, I don't see the point of this seat. We stopped taking the infant seat out of the car well before she was one. Not only is even a light seat heavy with a growing baby in it, but my daughter, at least, is curious, interested in her surroundings, and likes to be out of the seat. My daughter much preferred to be sitting in a stroller or being held than carried in her car seat, even when the seat is in the snap and go.

bearwithme
11-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I have the Aton and I'm very happy with it. I retired the Snugride 22 after it expired (used for 2 kids) and I really like the Aton more. Got the maxi cosi adapters for my stroller and it's a little harder to get off the stroller than I like, but I've learned the trick is to wiggle it a little and not just yank it off the adaptors. That's my only complaint. (and I have a Bugaboo Frog, if that's any help).

The selling point for me for the Aton was the European routing when installing without the base. And more front to back room for tall drivers.

Hemlock
12-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I have the Aton and I'm very happy with it. I retired the Snugride 22 after it expired (used for 2 kids) and I really like the Aton more. Got the maxi cosi adapters for my stroller and it's a little harder to get off the stroller than I like, but I've learned the trick is to wiggle it a little and not just yank it off the adaptors. That's my only complaint. (and I have a Bugaboo Frog, if that's any help).

The selling point for me for the Aton was the European routing when installing without the base. And more front to back room for tall drivers.

I have the Aton and use it with my Bugaboo Bee. In order to remove the seat from the adapters, you need to press down on the two grey pieces on either side of the car seat. Not sure if it is the same for the Frog or not. My DH always tries to yank it off without doing this.

edurnemk
12-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I have the Aton and use it with my Bugaboo Bee. In order to remove the seat from the adapters, you need to press down on the two grey pieces on either side of the car seat. Not sure if it is the same for the Frog or not. My DH always tries to yank it off without doing this.

My DH also struggles to get it off our Bee, but because he keeps trying to pull the grey buttons up, or press them in. I'm always standing beside him telling him "press them down! no! down!" And he still doesn't get it. :rotflmao:

I have no problem taking it off the Bee adapters, it works very smoothly.

Jupiter
12-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I'll have to measure and look at it when I get home. I didn't even want the infant seat, my husband did, so taking it out isn't really an issue. I wanted the graco smart seat (I think that's the name). The one the is rf, ff, booster. But I wanted something that would last as long as possible. I have to look at the sides and height, I hadn't thought about that. As for strollers, I can't afford anything really. So I'm happy to just be getting one.

sg2106
12-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I just got back from a trip to NYC and while I was there I stopped in at Albee Baby to check out the Aton. I REALLY loved it (except for the canopy of course, which everyone seems to hate) so thanks for the rec. One question though: on Cybex's USA website they specifically state that the Aton is NOT approved for use on airplanes--which I'm anticipating having to do. Is this a Cybex rule or is there something about this seat that means all airlines won't allow you to use it in flight? Obviously I see lots of Gracos, Keyfits, etc on flights.

http://cybex-online.com/us/service/faqs/atonfaqs.html

Any thoughts?

Jupiter
12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
It's is the click connect and the smart seat next to each other. Both in the upright position. The smart seat definitely goes higher (the additional height inside is because its a booster). But getting in doesn't seem that different. Thoughts?

Jupiter
12-02-2012, 10:38 PM
The click connect goes up to 19 inches at its highest. The headrest part.

legaleagle
12-02-2012, 11:09 PM
One question though: on Cybex's USA website they specifically state that the Aton is NOT approved for use on airplanes--which I'm anticipating having to do. Is this a Cybex rule or is there something about this seat that means all airlines won't allow you to use it in flight? Obviously I see lots of Gracos, Keyfits, etc on flights.

http://cybex-online.com/us/service/faqs/atonfaqs.html

Any thoughts?

Though it's not obvious, that link is actually the UK aton info. The US manual is on Regal-Lager (the US distributor) website and does allow it to be used on airplanes (without the base, like all infant seats).

http://regal-lager.com/downloads/Cybex-Aton-OM-C100_US013_01B.pdf

legaleagle
12-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Jupiter - there really are no seats that do rf'ing, ff'ing AND boostering well. The whole "only seat you'll ever buy" thing is marketing and not at all realistic. Don't worry about boostering, boosters are cheap and you won't need it for 5 years anyway. The graco smart seat is also not at all popular, it's huge, it's heavy and it's expensive, and it really doesn't work that well.

If you want something that will last as long as possible, you will be much happier with a really good convertible that both fits newborns well and has a good tall shell like a britax, a diono radian, the peg perego (or one of the other recommended convertible seats on carseatblog http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/ - I just happen to own and like the other 3.)

sg2106
12-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Though it's not obvious, that link is actually the UK aton info. The US manual is on Regal-Lager (the US distributor) website and does allow it to be used on airplanes (without the base, like all infant seats).

http://regal-lager.com/downloads/Cybex-Aton-OM-C100_US013_01B.pdf

Oh wow, you're right. The URL made it look like it was for the US but it's definitely UK. Thank you again!

Joolsplus2
12-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I'll have to measure and look at it when I get home. I didn't even want the infant seat, my husband did, so taking it out isn't really an issue. I wanted the graco smart seat (I think that's the name). The one the is rf, ff, booster. But I wanted something that would last as long as possible. I have to look at the sides and height, I hadn't thought about that. As for strollers, I can't afford anything really. So I'm happy to just be getting one.

Oh, that thing is a truly awful seat (insanely bulky, fits almost no car rearfacing, weird uncomfortable padding for kids at the bottom and top ends of the spectrum, short as a booster seat), you are lucky you get an infant seat first, and can look around at really good convertibles for a year and a half at least before you need one. Carseats are in the realm of shoes and bikes, there's just no way that the one that fits a newborn properly will fit a 4 foot 9 inch pre-teen properly, no matter how convincing the marketing may be. (Imagine if stride rite tried to do 'the only pair of shoes your kid will ever need', you'd totally :ROTFLMAO: at the notion ;))

Jupiter
12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Oh is, I don't know what to do now. My husband wants the infant seat, but maybe I'd be better off with a small one. However the carseat and stroller have been bought. It is so confusing.

edurnemk
12-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Oh is, I don't know what to do now. My husband wants the infant seat, but maybe I'd be better off with a small one. However the carseat and stroller have been bought. It is so confusing.

I think Jools was talking about the Smart Seat, not the Click Connect. But if you do want to change your mind, depending on where you bought it, you may be able to return it. However I think the Click Connect looks like a good seat, probably goos to last up to 2 years. Depends on what you want to do in terms of how long to rear-face, etc.

Joolsplus2
12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I'm hatin' on the Smart Seat, lovin' on the Click Connect (and thanks to Jupiter actually trying it in cars, I know it fits in them. I really need to haul the floor model out to my van and play with it, I've been so lazy!).

edurnemk
12-04-2012, 11:38 AM
The click connect goes up to 19 inches at its highest. The headrest part.

I measured my Aton last night, the seat back is 17 inches, so the click connect gives you 2 more inches (oh, wait does top of the head rest line up with the top of the shell? 'Cause the seat is outgrown RF when baby's head is one inch below the top of the shell). DS outgrew our old Graco SafeSeat 32 by height at around 2 yo (we used it for travel up until then), but I have no idea how tall the shell is (I could dig it up from storage later and check, though).

Jupiter
12-04-2012, 09:20 PM
My husbands going to love tht I pulled out the seat again, especially cause I keep making him put it away. Lol

Anyhow. Took another pic, the inside headrest part that is all brown goes higher than the outside of the seat but it a hard plastic with a cushion on it similar to the shell itself. Does that make a difference?

Jools I was able to put the click connect in my rav 4 and my husband's Saturn ion. I put it in the center in both and my husband who is about 6 foot was able to get into the driver seat no problem. (I didn't install cause I wasn't going through the whole latch to immediately take it out.)

Thanks for the feedback guys it helps!

Jupiter
12-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Dang it forgot the pic

Joolsplus2
12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Here's a blog with pictures...preemie doll and real 2 year old at the max height limit... http://carseatblog.com/18729/graco-snugride-40-click-connect-video-review/