PDA

View Full Version : If your child wears weighted or compression clothes....

gatorsmom
11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
...how long can they be left on? I'm thinking of trying a weighted vest or compression tank tops for Greenbean. I think they are exactly the type of tool that would help him feel more calm in his classroom. And I will talk to his OT and child Psychologist but I thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience with them?

Also, how long should they be left off before use again? I Greenbean will have a negative reaction to removing them (feeling out of control and less organized). How did you counteract that?

hillview
11-28-2012, 11:22 AM
I just ordered a weighted vest and some compression shirts for DS2 from Fun and Functional. Not yet arrived. Watching this post!

gatorsmom
11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I just ordered a weighted vest and some compression shirts for DS2 from Fun and Functional. Not yet arrived. Watching this post!
those were the ones I was considering. Please me know if you like them.

hillview
11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
those were the ones I was considering. Please me know if you like them.

will do -- it should arrive this weekend I think

Gena
11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
When we used a weighted vest with DS, his OTs always recommended wearing it 20 minutes at a time, with at least a 20 minute break between sessions.

The weighted vest worked well for DS for a while, but then he became very resistant to wearing it. I'm really not sure why. (He still loves to sleep under his weighted blanket though-best purchase ever!)

We found that compression clothing works a lot better for him. DS practically lives in the compression shirts from Fun and Function. (I love all their stuff; I buy a ton there.) He wears one as an undershirt almost everyday. We also have their mesh pressure vest and DS likes it a lot. I like that it's so compact that I can carry it anywhere and put it on him when he needs that extra "hug feel".

I also bought him the Howdahug chair (again from Fun and Function) and that thing is like magic to get him to sit still and concentrate.

hillview
12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
They just arrived! They are great looking. DS2 is asleep so he will see them in the morning. Hope he will wear the shirt/vest to school.

hillview
12-04-2012, 12:03 PM
They just arrived! They are great looking. DS2 is asleep so he will see them in the morning. Hope he will wear the shirt/vest to school.

ETA just a quick update:
Ok today is day 2 with the compression shirts and vest. He LOVES his shirts. LOVES them. He also really likes his vest. He wore it some yesterday -- outside a lot. Here is what his teacher said yesterday
"So far he seems to be less antsy and in better control of his body wiggles. We will keep in touch on this and see if there is consistent change with it.
Good idea"

o_mom
12-04-2012, 05:21 PM
How do these compare to the Target C9 shirts mentioned in the other thread? DS3 is in a 4/5 in shirts.

Gena
12-04-2012, 05:55 PM
My DS does not like the Target C9 shirts as much as the ones from Fun and Function. Maybe it's because the Target ones are polyester & spandex while the F&F ones are cotton and spandex. There is a definite difference in the way they feel. Also, I do not like the way the Target ones seem to lose their shape with repeated wears and washings.

hillview
12-04-2012, 06:35 PM
How do these compare to the Target C9 shirts mentioned in the other thread? DS3 is in a 4/5 in shirts.

we have both. the F&F ones are longer (a lot longer) so don't roll up on the belly. They are tighter. They seem to be better made/thicker.