PDA

View Full Version : Please give me some recs for a backless booster.

roseyloxs
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I want some recommendations for a backless booster for my ds. At home he is harnessed in a radian or frontier and will remain that way until it is physically impossible. However next summer we will be in Chicago and I need to buy a third seat. DS's seat will be passed down to DD. DD's will be passed down to our newest ds2 (hopefully he doesn't mind the pink flowers) :p. Both of those seats are made by cosco so they are skinny enough to allow for an adult w/ seat belt in the back of a sedan as well.

DS will be 6.5 y.o. not sure how tall he will be but he tends to be pretty average. Anyone have any good recs for a skinny backless booster seat that can be installed in most sedans 3 across (grandparents currently drive an audi a6, bmw 325 and chevy cavalier)? Anything under $40 would be great since I plan to keep the seat in Chicago for future visits.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
If you shop at Walmart.... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Juvenile-Youth-Booster-Car-Seat-Hot-Rod/16939672 (comes in other colors, this one's just cool, lol).
If you don't... http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Top-Side-Booster-Seat/dp/B008S3M1LM (this is also at Target, and cheaper there. Unusual because you put the shoulderbelt over the armrest on the buckle side, all other backless have both belts under the armrest...just an FYI since you're new to boosters, though :))
Both of these are super narrow with super good fit for both small and big kids.

hillview
11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
would you consider a bubble bum? we have 2 and use them for travel and they work very well.

roseyloxs
11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Not really interested in the bubble bum. If we were doing more traditional travel with cabs, etc then I might. However I need something that could be used daily for at least 2 weeks or more so something more substantial is probably more appropriate. We have stayed in Chicago for up to 3 months while DH deploys.

Follow up question. I know these seats would be above the $40 budget I gave but are booster seats with latch connections safer? Like the clek ozzi or diono santa fe?

Multimama
11-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I didn't click Jools link, but I assume she recommended the Harmony Youth Booster/Literider. That's what I was going to recommend.

Latchable boosters are more convenient because they are automatically secured in the car when not in use and won't become a projectile. (So they'd be safer for the grandparents or whoever else is in the car when your DS isn't, if you think they won't secure the backless booster.) They aren't safer for the person riding in them.

If you want to spend more money in the interest of safety a high back booster is thought to be safer.

roseyloxs
11-30-2012, 12:11 PM
If you want to spend more money in the interest of safety a high back booster is thought to be safer.

I thought about this and the seat that DS will be handing down to DD is a cosco hbb (http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-High-Back-Booster-Windmill/dp/B007HO4U08). I fear that 3 seats across would make buckling the seat belt almost impossible though. Thought the buckle might be slightly more visible and accessible with a backless booster. Maybe that's not true though, I have no experience with boosters.

AnnieW625
11-30-2012, 02:40 PM
We have the Harmony Cruz, which I like because of it's size (and DD1 and her friends say it is comfy as well) a lot and it saved me a trip to Wal Mart to pick up a Lite Rider.

Multimama
11-30-2012, 02:42 PM
I thought about this and the seat that DS will be handing down to DD is a cosco hbb (http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-High-Back-Booster-Windmill/dp/B007HO4U08). I fear that 3 seats across would make buckling the seat belt almost impossible though. Thought the buckle might be slightly more visible and accessible with a backless booster. Maybe that's not true though, I have no experience with boosters.

It's a high back booster, with no harness? Does your DS still fit in it? Maybe bring one of your Radians for DD and then put him in the HBB? Harnessed seats are always easier in a 3-across and I'd rather my just turned 4-year-old was harnessed.

roseyloxs
11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
It's a high back booster, with no harness? Does your DS still fit in it? Maybe bring one of your Radians for DD and then put him in the HBB? Harnessed seats are always easier in a 3-across and I'd rather my just turned 4-year-old was harnessed.

It has a harness and DD will be using it. DS was even with the highest slot last time we were in Chicago so its a safe bet he will be too tall for the harness on our next visit. We could bring a radian but I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to travelling and prefer to travel with no car seats. I do have radian travel bags though that I have never had the chance to use.