PDA

View Full Version : For the All-Clad fans out there

vacationer526
11-28-2012, 04:10 PM
This is one of my favorite pieces of cookware at an awesome price. Free shipping too!

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1040328/All-Clad-Covered-Stainless-Steel-Saute-Pan?om_u=CTNAEi&om_i=_BQtm1GB8vaUkdu

mjs64
11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
This is my all time favorite pan too, at a great price!

elbenn
11-28-2012, 05:49 PM
How big is this? I have a 12" skillet that I love, and I am wondering if this pan (which is 3 qt) is comparable in size, or bigger or smaller. I love the idea of this pan because of the lid, but I want to make sure it's not too small. FWIW, I love the 12" skillet, but find the 10" one too small, and the 14" skillet too big.

geminimagk
11-28-2012, 05:59 PM
I bought this a few weeks back when it was on sale for $100:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-184060/Le-Creuset-Fennel-Deep-Covered-Saute-Pan

For those of you who are more expert at cooking than me, what is the difference in the 2 pans?

indigo99
11-28-2012, 06:54 PM
I have a similar 5.5qt pan (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP55-30N-MultiClad-Stainless-Casserole/dp/B009W28RPC/ref=dp_ob_title_def) that I got from Amazon a few months back and love (currently OOS). It was my first SS multiclad piece, and I'm a convert now.

elbenn, how tall are the sides on the 12" that you like? That makes a big difference in how much it will hold. I like the larger size personally, but I bet you'd be happy with the 3qt.

mjs64
11-28-2012, 08:11 PM
I bought this a few weeks back when it was on sale for $100:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-184060/Le-Creuset-Fennel-Deep-Covered-Saute-Pan

For those of you who are more expert at cooking than me, what is the difference in the 2 pans?

One is cast iron enameled (yours), the other is stainless steel. Cast iron holds heat well but is heavy and takes longer to heat up than stainless steel. Both have many uses. I like stainless for a sauté pan and cast iron for a dutch oven for slow cooking (braises, stews, etc). Both can be put in the oven.

mjs64
11-28-2012, 08:16 PM
How big is this? I have a 12" skillet that I love, and I am wondering if this pan (which is 3 qt) is comparable in size, or bigger or smaller. I love the idea of this pan because of the lid, but I want to make sure it's not too small. FWIW, I love the 12" skillet, but find the 10" one too small, and the 14" skillet too big.

Elbenn, the pan size is almost the same. The sauté pan has straight sides and the skillets are sloped (which eats into the pan surface dimensions just a bit). The main advantage of the sauté pan is the straight sides--they let it hold more depth-wise. But the sides get in the way of frying (use the skillet for that). My sauté pan is great for, for example, stuffing--holds lots till it melts down.

I have a 12" sauté pan and a 12" skillet and use them both all of the time. I wouldn't go bigger for either. Really, you only need one sauté pan (12 inches) but are likely to find uses for 3 sizes of skillets (8, 10, 12). For me, 14" is always too big.

speo
11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Really, you only need one sauté pan (12 inches) but are likely to find uses for 3 sizes of skillets (8, 10, 12). For me, 14" is always too big.

That's funny because I would say the reverse. I have many uses for different sized saute pans. It's a great deal - especially with the FS.

sewarsh
11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
I personally use a 10" and 12" all the time. Don't see a need for 14" either, however i would like to have a pan with the straight sides.

I'm actually surprised though that the capacity is only 3qt. i would think it would be bigger.

For those that may be intersted in a bigger quart capacity, I suggest buying this pan. It holds 5qt (is 5" high vs. the All Clad which is 2.5" high):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-12-18-10-Tri-Ply-Clad-Stainless-Steel-Jumbo-Cooker/5716485

The Tramontina TRIPLY pots and pans from Walmart are FABULOUS (make sure you get TRIPLY and not the cheaper versions if you purchase)! They are highly recommended by Cooks Illustrated and have amazing reviews. You (appartently) cannot tell the difference between them and AllClad. I've have the $220 10-piece set for about 3 months now and I LOVE them.

Don't mean to crash the post, I woud've jumped on this deal if the capacity were bigger jsut so I use and compare AC with Tramontina.

Daphnecita
11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks! Amazon has it for the same price right now too

teresah00
11-28-2012, 10:13 PM
It's my favorite too. I have a bunch of other sizes that we never use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AEmgee
11-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't like my All-Clad skillet because it's very difficult to clean? Or am I doing something wrong?

sewarsh
11-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like my All-Clad skillet because it's very difficult to clean? Or am I doing something wrong?

Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser is your BFF when cleaning stainless steel.

nurseapril
11-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks! I have always wanted all-clad! I picked it up from Macy's for $75 with coupon code RMNFF. Free shipping over $99 so I added some kitchen items I needed anyway.:jammin:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/all-clad-stainless-steel-saute-pans?ID=758106&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

oneontheway
11-29-2012, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=sewarsh;3661113]I personally use a 10" and 12" all the time. Don't see a need for 14" either, however i would like to have a pan with the straight sides.

I'm actually surprised though that the capacity is only 3qt. i would think it would be bigger.

For those that may be intersted in a bigger quart capacity, I suggest buying this pan. It holds 5qt (is 5" high vs. the All Clad which is 2.5" high):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-12-18-10-Tri-Ply-Clad-Stainless-Steel-Jumbo-Cooker/5716485

The Tramontina TRIPLY pots and pans from Walmart are FABULOUS (make sure you get TRIPLY and not the cheaper versions if you purchase)! They are highly recommended by Cooks Illustrated and have amazing reviews. You (appartently) cannot tell the difference between them and AllClad. I've have the $220 10-piece set for about 3 months now and I LOVE them.

I have the large pan set and love it. I've been eyeing the one you showed wondering if it will go on a rollback. I've been watching for months and it hasn't. I'll probably get it before the holidays.
It is my absolute favorite pan type.

Daphnecita
11-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks! I have always wanted all-clad! I picked it up from Macy's for $75 with coupon code RMNFF. Free shipping over $99 so I added some kitchen items I needed anyway.:jammin:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/all-clad-stainless-steel-saute-pans?ID=758106&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Thanks! I was able to cancel my amazon order and buy from Macy's. I like the option to return to store if necessary and I got more stuff (to reach the $99 FS) for the same price I would have paid for the pan alone on amazon.

tarnator
11-29-2012, 12:19 PM
I was hovering over the 'buy' button on this product....but now I have been distracted by the amazing price on those Walmart Tramontina pans. They look identical to the AllClad! Since I need to get rid of all my non-stick should I buy a set of Tramontinas instead?

Daphnecita
11-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks! I was able to cancel my amazon order and buy from Macy's. I like the option to return to store if necessary and I got more stuff (to reach the $99 FS) for the same price I would have paid for the pan alone on amazon.

Mommy_Mea
11-29-2012, 12:54 PM
For those of you that have this - would it be difficult to make pancakes and french toast in the pan? ie, is it tough to fit 4 large slices of bread in the pan?

sewarsh
11-29-2012, 01:26 PM
I was hovering over the 'buy' button on this product....but now I have been distracted by the amazing price on those Walmart Tramontina pans. They look identical to the AllClad! Since I need to get rid of all my non-stick should I buy a set of Tramontinas instead?

That's what I did and I love them!

Twoboos
11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Any opinions on the Emeril by All-Clad pans? Those are all on sale. Would you think it's as good as straight-up All-Clad?

teresah00
11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
For those of you that have this - would it be difficult to make pancakes and french toast in the pan? ie, is it tough to fit 4 large slices of bread in the pan?

I can fit three I make pancakes in a nonstick griddle.

nurseapril
11-29-2012, 03:17 PM

I ordered the $114 Tramontina set on walmart, the ratings couldn't be beat. I have not received them yet, but I ordered the All-Clad saute pan to supplement them.

sewarsh
11-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Any opinions on the Emeril by All-Clad pans? Those are all on sale. Would you think it's as good as straight-up All-Clad?

I actually have a 4quart pot from this line and its performed just as nice as the Tramontina set i have. When I purchased the TRamontina set a few months back, I looked at this Emeril line, All Clad and the Tramontina. Just make sure that if you get the Emeril line that its the line that does NOT have a copper base because those aren't ALL-clad. All 3 lines get great reviews.

Twoboos
11-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I actually have a 4quart pot from this line and its performed just as nice as the Tramontina set i have. When I purchased the TRamontina set a few months back, I looked at this Emeril line, All Clad and the Tramontina. Just make sure that if you get the Emeril line that its the line that does NOT have a copper base because those aren't ALL-clad. All 3 lines get great reviews.

OK, I don't think they have the copper base, right? It doesn't say it in the description (below), and if it did I don't think it would work on induction cooktops. (BTW, I am looking at this 12 piece set for my Bro/SIL from Macy's, it's on sale for $199, plus FS, add'l 15% off and three bonuses: Nonstick grill pan (free), 9" loaf pan and baking sheet (rebate). Seems like a good buy for all that for $170.)

Crafted from 18/10 stainless steel with impact-bonded aluminum bases, each essential heats up fast and evenly for perfect results time and time again. Lifetime warranty.
Set includes: 8" fry pan, 10" covered fry pan, 1.5-qt. saucepan with pour spouts and straining lid, 3-qt. covered casserole, 3-qt. steamer insert, 3-qt. covered sauté pan and 6-qt. covered stockpot
Stainless handles
Measurement marking in saucepans and stockpots
Brushed stainless steel band surrounds each piece
Induction cooktop safe
Glass lids oven safe to 450ºF
Dishwasher safe

Daphnecita
11-29-2012, 09:52 PM
OK, I don't think they have the copper base, right? It doesn't say it in the description (below), and if it did I don't think it would work on induction cooktops. (BTW, I am looking at this 12 piece set for my Bro/SIL from Macy's, it's on sale for $199, plus FS, add'l 15% off and three bonuses: Nonstick grill pan (free), 9" loaf pan and baking sheet (rebate). Seems like a good buy for all that for $170.)

I don't know what the exclusions are but maybe you can use one of the F&F 25% off codes. There is one posted up thread that worked for me and there is a red banner at the top of the website with another, I think it is FRIENDS. That would bring the set down to $150.
Ebates is 6%

sewarsh
11-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Crafted from 18/10 stainless steel with impact-bonded aluminum bases, each essential heats up fast and evenly for perfect results time and time again. Lifetime warranty.
Set includes: 8" fry pan, 10" covered fry pan, 1.5-qt. saucepan with pour spouts and straining lid, 3-qt. covered casserole, 3-qt. steamer insert, 3-qt. covered sauté pan and 6-qt. covered stockpot
Stainless handles
Measurement marking in saucepans and stockpots
Brushed stainless steel band surrounds each piece
Induction cooktop safe
Glass lids oven safe to 450ºF
Dishwasher safe

Since you and I have so much history at the BBB, I did a little research for you. :)

This set does NOT have the copper bases which is good because the reviews are awful on that set. Unfortunately though these are not TRIPLY. They are made by AllClad however they only have an encapsulated base, meaning the 3 layers of steel/aluminmum/steel are only on the base, NOT the sides. What this means is that when they cook something they will most likely get food stuck to the sides because the bottom will heat up much faster than the sides. I don't know the science or much else about it, I can only tell you what I discovered by reading reviews and reseaching a few months back. And I personally had a Cuisinart stainless steel pot that was only encapsulated on the base and I ended up donating it.

If you are interested, this is the TRIPLY version of the Emeril set (unfortunately, not sold at Macys):

http://www.amazon.com/E914SC64-PRO-CLAD-Stainless-12-Piece-Cookware/dp/B001GD2YRW/ref=sr_1_22?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1354240000&sr=1-22

As you can see excellent reviews, but more $$$.

Personally, I'm going to try to persuade you to buy a Tramontina Gourmet set at Walmart.

8-piece $115: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478

or

10-piece $220: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505

I got the 10piece set and love it and especialy LOVE the gigantic stock pot.

If you get the Macys set I'm sure they'll like it - it does get great reviews, I'm just giving you some additional info that you most likely weren't aware so that you can make the most informed decision.

whew! :)

Twoboos
11-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Since you and I have so much history at the BBB, I did a little research for you. :) .... whew! :)

Dude, you went over and above! WOW - thanks!

I thought the other one looked nice and shiny, LOL. (So much for my research methods, I'm such a good sister. :bag) I will definitely check out the Walmart set!