PDA

View Full Version : Safe Fleece/coat for 7 mo in convertible seat?

MSWR0319
11-28-2012, 04:28 PM
What do I put DS in when we move him to his Blvd? He's a lb from outgrowing the Chicco and it's just beginning to get brutally cold. I was hoping I'd keep him in the bucket for most of winter so I could cover him up. Are there any fleece snowsuit type outfit that is thin enough to use in a carseat? Any other recs? DS1 was in his bucket the first winter and now wears a fleece coat in his seat. I just feel like the baby will get colder for some reason. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Philly Mom
11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
I used a Hanna one piece fleece bunting for DD last year. It was as thin as her fleece. I also will throw a blanket on top of her once she is in her seat if it is really cold.

legaleagle
11-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Somebody posted a shower-cap style fleece cover for convertible seats last year that looked really nice.

mom2binsd
12-05-2012, 01:05 AM
What do I put DS in when we move him to his Blvd? He's a lb from outgrowing the Chicco and it's just beginning to get brutally cold. I was hoping I'd keep him in the bucket for most of winter so I could cover him up. Are there any fleece snowsuit type outfit that is thin enough to use in a carseat? Any other recs? DS1 was in his bucket the first winter and now wears a fleece coat in his seat. I just feel like the baby will get colder for some reason. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Curious, which Chicco do you have, I thought most lately were to 30lbs?, it sure would be nice to be able to keep him in the bucket!

I think a good quality LE type fleece, a good hat and nice warm blanket are fine, it's not that cold in the car.

Simon
12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
IME, the shower cap style car seat covers work well, but they are better for young infants who aren't so curious about the world around them and aren't so big in their seats. My older infants always got super fussy inside because it cramped their feet/legs or they couldn't see well enough.

I put my kids in the fleece one piece snow suits (http://www.rei.com/product/801126/columbia-little-d-fleece-bunting-infant-boys) (and I have a thing for buying them so we have several!). Good brands include LLBean, Patagonia, and REI. LE discontinued theirs but they were great. Warning: We have one by Black Diamond that is very, very small for the labeled size and a HA one that has a thick lining. I consider the HA too thick for a car seat both from a safety perspective and comfort (its quite bulky). Perhaps they also make thinner ones? We also have a Zutano that is rather shapeless (compared to the other brands) and also more bulky. One other strike against the bulky ones is that they usually have a thick cotton liner which makes them slow to dry and a poor choice for the wet cold (rainy, fogy, snowy).

I think these fleece snow suits are so versatile and I love that they cover legs too, because it does get bitterly cold here. If you'll be in the deep winter, I'd also consider using a down snow suit inside the seat;I am lusting after one by REI but its out of my budget and we don't really need it.

MSWR0319
12-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Curious, which Chicco do you have, I thought most lately were to 30lbs?, it sure would be nice to be able to keep him in the bucket!

I think a good quality LE type fleece, a good hat and nice warm blanket are fine, it's not that cold in the car.

It's the Chicco Keyfit that came with the travel system. We got it in 08 when DS1 was born. When I was researching with him and debating between the Keyfit and Keyfit 30, most said I wouldn't need anything more than 22lbs up to a year. DS1 was only 21lbs at a year but apparently DS2 is a bit chunky :) I ordered a couple fleece one pieces to see if they are thin enough.

emily
12-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Another HA fleece bunting user here. An extra blanket if it's really cold.