PDA

View Full Version : Britax Blvd (classic not new one) keeps sticking...

OKKiddo
11-29-2012, 03:58 PM
It's the Blvd my younger son had up until we got him his FR85 and still has plenty of time left before expiration (manufactured 6/3/09) so we passed it to my daughter (4-29-11) to use until we can buy the Foonf (or another seat if the Foonf doesn't work). We plan to keep the seat for the spare in my husband's vehicle (he's trading the Jeep Wrangler in tonight for a Ford F150 XLT I think). Problem is, the darn splitter plate/yoke (what's the name of that metal piece that holds the straps?) keeps getting caught on the black plastic cover in the back. I've tried re-routing the straps and plate to see if it would stop the problem but no matter which way I go it still gets caught on something. So much so that the adjuster strap is extremely frayed. So, I looked at the other seat like it to make sure I put it back the way it's supposed to be and it. still. sticks. I have to pull very hard on the back of the seat to yank the dang plate up while holding the release button down with the other hand to get my daughter out of the car. Then it won't tighten unless I pull from the back and jiggle the plate while pulling on the adjuster.

This seat is going to drive me bonkers!!! It has never had this problem until I moved it from my husbands Jeep to my car when we were going on a long drive and we thought she'd be more comfy in the convertible over the KF30 (which she's outgrown by height now). Can someone offer advice on what's going on? What to do to fix the problem?

jjordan
11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Call Britax. They may ask you to email pictures. In the past, if a seat past warranty is dysfunctional, they often offer to sell a current model seat at a very low price.

I have two (original) boulevards and we've never had the problem you're describing, so no help there!

KDsMommy
11-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Definitely call them, they have great CS!

OKKiddo
01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I finally got around to calling. And it was a horrible, horrible customer service experience!!!! In the past they have been great and once I sent in a video or a picture was told I was getting a replacement (or needed part), usually at no cost. And let me put this out for the record, it's not the expense--I will lay down whatever I have to for my children's safety. However, when I've already spent the money fully expecting to get the full life span of a car seat (carefully following the manual for installation and care the entire time), I expect if it malfunctions or breaks that the company will honor that and send the replacement parts or a replacement seat.

This time, I was told I would have to uninstall it and send a video of the problem. Ok, no problem (pain the but but understandable and reasonable). However, when she asked for the DOM and I gave it to her she started talking about "out of warranty" "out of replacement warranty" etc. Basically saying that because this seat was manufactered in 09 that they can't/won't replace it or send replacement parts--that I will have purchase them. And of course that I wasn't to use the seat in the meantime (naturally if it's unsafe). However, if I had no other recourse and I didn't have the funds this would be a big, big problem (which I have another seat that will expire next month that I can use until then).

I'm just upset that I paid for a seat that was supposed to last for 6 years and here it half of that and we're having major issues. And now I'll have to pay for replacement parts or a replacement seat? Britax, you have done better in the past, I expect far more of you now!!

legaleagle
01-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Ugh, that sucks. Seems like so many companies CS is not what it used to be :(

OKKiddo
01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Ok a manager called me back and we discussed all of the workings of the seat. The hows, whens, and what ifs. Turns out it was the black plastic molding that covers the splitter plate/yoke to protect against it getting caught on a plush vehicle seat. I don't think I would rate an Oddy seat (passenger outboard seat) as being plush. Especially since I wasn't having that problem when my second son was riding in it rear facing in the same spot.

Anyway, the simple, easy fix was to remove the cover. She said it was perfectly safe without it and if that was the problem then it was causing more issues than it was by having there as a just in case. It slides again now--no getting caught anyway. But, it's still a stubborn, hard pull for tightening and loosening. And since it kept getting caught on that black plastic piece, I have quite a bit of fraying on both sides of the harness adjuster strap (not the harness itself though). So, they're (out of good faith/good will) sending me new straps for free.

I'm glad that I won't have to pay to replace necessary items that I haven't caused damage to by misuse or accident, but it seemed off putting to have to fight so hard to get that. :(

jjordan
01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
If a manager took the initiative and called you back, I'm guessing that whatever grouchy CS rep you spoke with first is going to be "retrained" or something. Maybe she was having a bad day, who knows? I'm glad that they're working with you now!

OKKiddo
01-17-2013, 12:50 AM
If a manager took the initiative and called you back, I'm guessing that whatever grouchy CS rep you spoke with first is going to be "retrained" or something. Maybe she was having a bad day, who knows? I'm glad that they're working with you now!

Oh no, I insisted on speaking with a manager. The manager backed up the CS Rep completely but was able to help me pinpoint the issue. Ultimately, we have a seat we can actually use again, so that makes me happy.

Joolsplus2
01-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Ugh, what a pain! I don't understand carseat expirations that don't mesh with warranties, either, never have.... How much can it possibly cost them to back up those products for the teeny tiny number of people who use them that long, and also have a problem with the seat? Doesn't make any sense to me. Glad the problem was at least sort of figured out...those plastic plates always seem to be more trouble than they are worth, on or off (most of mine are in my spare parts box, and they are laying on the shelves behind the seats at BRU in some cases, because I can't put them back on! Too hard!)

OKKiddo
02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Jools, I think I need you. I took my seat to the NHTSA instructor/tech in my area. He was great (in fact, everyone in the office acted like they were kid addicts and could smell mine in the area and were thereby drawn to them)! He put on the new strap and harness straps but here we are a week later and anyone who tries to tighten the harness struggles! Oh, and it's fraying ALREADY!! WTH?!!

Joolsplus2
02-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Blargh! Sounds like the olden days when people would thread them wrong (like, the factory workers, half of them, routed the belt under the adjuster, instead of over, under the seat). It's pretty *hard* to thread it wrong, so I doubt that's what he did, but still, you're making me think of my pitb 2002 Marathon with that description. If you feel like uninstalling and taking some pictures of the underside of the adjuster, I can diagnose it, but I wonder if it's time to just chuck the whole thing :P.

OKKiddo
02-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Blargh! Sounds like the olden days when people would thread them wrong (like, the factory workers, half of them, routed the belt under the adjuster, instead of over, under the seat). It's pretty *hard* to thread it wrong, so I doubt that's what he did, but still, you're making me think of my pitb 2002 Marathon with that description. If you feel like uninstalling and taking some pictures of the underside of the adjuster, I can diagnose it, but I wonder if it's time to just chuck the whole thing :P.

Jools, I could always come to you since you're only an hour from me (and I homeschool now so we're very flexible in our schedule). :) I've always wanted to meet ya! ;)

Joolsplus2
02-03-2013, 10:09 AM
PM me, I have a pretty flexible schedule during school hours, we can gather and play :) (heh, your screenname always makes me think you're in OKlahoma :ROTFLMAO:)

OKKiddo
02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
PM me, I have a pretty flexible schedule during school hours, we can gather and play :) (heh, your screenname always makes me think you're in OKlahoma :ROTFLMAO:)

You're one of the few people who get my screen name! I have to explain it to most people as I spell it out for them. I'm originally from OKlahoma and my husband is 7 years older than me so he loves to call me Kiddo. ;) We're currently assigned to the Pentagon and living in Woodbridge, Va.