PDA

View Full Version : Stupid bank personnel

alleycat
12-01-2012, 04:05 PM
There's a long back story that I'm not getting into but...basically DH asked this person about my bank account (mine not ours) and the person told him what kind of account I had. That made me mad but I was furious when she sent him paperwork for me to sign with my bank account number on it. I never gave her permission to give any information to DH. I've never even spoken to this person. Not only that, this person spoke to DH over the phone, she has no idea who he is or isn't. Pissed at DH for asking but person should not be giving out any information to him just because he's my husband. I told DH, he could ask all he wants but the answer this woman should have supplied was "I'm sorry sir but I cannot provide any information to you without your wife's permission".

I'm definitely calling the bank manager to discuss this incident.

wellyes
12-01-2012, 05:12 PM
That is really a breach - it shows poor training on the banks part. I would say that specifically when you call. Privacy protection is the most basic skill for bank personnel.

hellokitty
12-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I'd complain and also consider changing banks if the response is not to my liking.

niccig
12-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I would be angry too.

I do all the calling for things like this and many places where it is only in DH's name tell me they need to speak to him.

Other places will deal with me as I can give all the correct identifiying information - but that's like the gas company and I'm calling to pay the bill or ask about a charge. The mortgage company, DH's 401K won't talk to me and they shouldn't.

dogmom
12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Besides the fact the bank should not have given out the information they need to be given information about domestic violence situations. Often when a woman does not feel ready to leave counselors will recommend they start getting stuff together (paperwork, health records, start a savings account). I'm not saying this is your situation, but this could lead to some rather bad outcomes if some abusive spouse calls and wants to know about his spouses brand new account.

lizzywednesday
12-03-2012, 11:24 AM
That is really a breach - it shows poor training on the banks part. I would say that specifically when you call. Privacy protection is the most basic skill for bank personnel.

:yeahthat:

I am fresh from our company's privacy & security policy training and NONE of that information should have been given over the phone.

It's classified as Personal Identifiable Information (PII) and you need to report it to the bank manager and, if they are uncooperative, go up the food chain. It's not acceptable.

Also, I would seriously consider moving my accounts from that bank if a satisfactory solution was not made.

momm
12-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow! it should've even matter if your DH went there with a copy of your marriage certificate! (he could've easily been an abusive ex-h trying to get your money!!)
She should've refused to give him anything without your consent. What a breach of privacy

khalloc
12-03-2012, 04:33 PM
That is infuriating!

jal
12-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Not knowing the back story... is there any possibility that your husband "pretended to be you" over the phone?

After all, if YOU attempted to contact the bank to learn some information about YOUR account that you misplaced or forgot, you would expect the teller to provide you the information if you could supply all of your PII (an your husband likely knows all your PII).

Otherwise, I would agree that this shouldn't have happened if the teller knew they were talking to the husband, and the husband's name was not on the account.

sophiesmom03
12-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Yikes, that's bad.

I recently tried to move a very old 401K that I'd left idling b/c I left the job when the economy tanked and the company stock that was in there was particularly hard-hit...so I let it ride until it came back up.

Anyway, long story short, when I called the bank asked me if I was still married and I didn't think twice about answering "Yes" and then they said that in order for me to move the $$ I have to have my husband sign an approval and have the signature notarized.

This is MY 401K from MY work; he never had anything to do with it. And DH works crazy hours in a one-half-horse town that probably doesn't even have a notary, he's never here for dinner and leaves early in the AM, the last thing I want him doing is spending MORE time away from us looking for a notary. For his permission to move my money.

I'm ticked enough to want to call them back and tell them I'm no longer married. :hysterical:

Sorry, OP. Rant over. ;)

ett
12-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I would definitely call to complain and can't believe the bank teller didn't know better.

I called our cable company a while back to cancel some services, and they wouldn't even let me do it without DH's permission since only his name was on the account. And this is just for cable.

alleycat
12-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Besides the fact the bank should not have given out the information they need to be given information about domestic violence situations. Often when a woman does not feel ready to leave counselors will recommend they start getting stuff together (paperwork, health records, start a savings account). I'm not saying this is your situation, but this could lead to some rather bad outcomes if some abusive spouse calls and wants to know about his spouses brand new account.

This is exactly what I thought and what my sister said when I told her.

Not knowing the back story... is there any possibility that your husband "pretended to be you" over the phone?

After all, if YOU attempted to contact the bank to learn some information about YOUR account that you misplaced or forgot, you would expect the teller to provide you the information if you could supply all of your PII (an your husband likely knows all your PII).

Otherwise, I would agree that this shouldn't have happened if the teller knew they were talking to the husband, and the husband's name was not on the account.

The person knew she was talking to my husband. The conversation was about our mortgage and it turned to certain benefits "elite" members receive. He asked if I was an "elite" member. She was able to access my account since my accounts are linked to my mortgage.

The way I see it, she has two strikes against her. 1) she accessed my accounts without my permission. 2) she provided my DH with information without my permission.

Even someone not working in a bank should know that's a breach of privacy, no? It's just common sense.

arivecchi
12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Did you complain to the manager? You can lodge a complaint with the manager and the proper regulatory authorities. Your DH should have zero access to your account information if he is not an authorized account holder.

MamaMolly
12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
:popc1: I have to admit I'm dying to know what the bank has to say!

TwinFoxes
12-05-2012, 01:56 PM
:popc1: I have to admit I'm dying to know what the bank has to say!

Me too. I'm really appalled.