PDA

View Full Version : Science & History Programs

hbridge
12-01-2012, 07:52 PM
We WANT to give DC a laptop for Christmas. it's a long story, but the teacher has approved use in school and DC using a computer would make things so much easier on everyone. HOWEVER, DC is "anti-technology" and wants nothing to do with computers, tablets, cell phones, gaming systems, Alpha-Smart systems, even the television. I'm not sure DC would even accept a typewriter, which we'd actually consider if it were possible to easily get parts.

In an effort to get things moving along we are getting a laptop for Christmas. Actually, "I" am getting a laptop for Christmas, since DC will feel it's a punishment if Santa brings it.

Anyway, I am looking for good programs, games or web sites for a history and science crazy 3rd grader just to encourage laptop use.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

kcimato
12-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Steve Spangler has a wonderful site on Science experiments. It's not a game but your DS can view videos and then try some experiments

www.stevespangler.com

ahisma
12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
DIY.org

hbridge
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to check out DIY.org.

We do know about Steve Spangler and have used the site before. I'm actually hoping to find programs that actually encourage DC to actually sit at the computer to do "whatever". I honestly don't care if it's mindless games if it encourages the use of the computer.

The school has told us that the laptop is where we NEED to head and without it DC will hit a wall the ability to perform. We need to somehow break down the stigma...