PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Fashion Plates

gobadgers
12-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Anyone remember fashion plates? I was looking for a set for 5 year old DD, but this is the only set I've found so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Fashion-Design-Activity/dp/B004PBLSQ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354559314&sr=8-1&keywords=fashion+plates

The reviews could be worse for this set, but I was hoping to find one with a few more options (it looks like this set only has 3 double-sided plates for each head, to and bottom). Had anyone seen any other options?

TIA!

infomama
12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
This perhaps? www.amazon.com/Fashion-Designer/dp/B000XQ8RCO (http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Designer/dp/B000XQ8RCO)
or keep checking Ebay. www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tomy-1978-FASHION-PLATES-Play-Set-Good-Vtg-Condition-in-original-box-/271114803720?pt=Vintage_Antique_Toys_US&hash=item3f1fb39a08

jench
12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I have had these in my amazon cart for a while, but haven't purchased yet so I can't give a review, but they look cool:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CSRZKQ/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

gobadgers
12-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Oh my! I can't believe you can get an old one on ebay. Thanks for posting,i never would have thought to look! I wish I wasn't so cheap, or I would consider getting the real thing. Wish I'd saved mine :)

Note I've changed my tune...I am thinking about a stencil one instead, since it seems like it might get played with for a lot of years. Does anyone have a review of this or something like it?

http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Angels-11451-Design-Portfolio/dp/B002CSRZKQ/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_z

ETA: Ha! I consisted with you, jench. Great minds think alike ;)

mnosky1
12-04-2012, 12:06 AM
We have fashion plates that I got at a garge sale for a quarter - it doesn't get as much love as mine did back in the day. I had one that you could use to make cards too and I think I used that one even more and I think my mom has that one still and the girls ignore it. Part of the problem is the little rubbing thing is missing and crayons dont do as nicely.

oh and I have 2 girls 4.5 and 9.5

Anyway, the fashion angels thing is a big hit. Id say a totally different concept though and for much older kids- (8 and up although listed 6 and up) my younger one uses the fashion plates and my older one uses the stencil one but at least with her ability doesnt get nearly as much out of it as she could yet. There is barbie hair and nail version (my younger DD tries to steal this one a lot, it is a little easier), the fashion angels, Bratz or something similar and a couple fashion ones. The best Christmas gift last year was the pet fashion designer one I got her (I think that is fashion angels). The amazon price posted is good. TRU has them and walmart has a fashion angel version that somes with colored pencils and stickers that makes a really nice gift for the price. These have been our go to bday gift lately.

essnce629
12-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Doesn't Costco have a fashion plates set right now for sale with the Christmas toys? I thought I saw it mentioned on here before and remember seeing it at the store a few days ago.

wellyes
12-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Ha! I had that old stencil set. Totally forgot about it!
Anyway.

I have been looking for something similar for DD who is 4.5. Not much luck yet. My Costco didn't,t have anything. The only ones I've seen are a Barbie and Princess set in the Barnes and Noble bargain section. Just under $10. They are similar to the M&D - 4 plates, a couple of crayon holders for rubbing, and colored pencils to fill in your design (which is for older girls, I guess). 4 plates isn't enough, I want a set for rubbing, not for coloring in at this age.

I agree with the PP that the angel stencil set is perhaps better in a few years.

LizLemon
12-04-2012, 02:33 AM
I have no advice, just have to post about how nostalgic this thread is making me! :p

baymom
12-04-2012, 02:38 AM
Michael's has a set right now and I want to say its less than $10...not sure now many plates are in the set, though. I loved mine as a kid and think about getting it for DD every time I'm there. But, I'm pretty sure it's not really her type of thing. Sigh...

hellokitty
12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
I still have my fashion plates from when I was a little girl. I had hopes that someday my future did could play with it. :( If I were you, I'd buy an original off of eBay.

Seitvonzu
12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
i got the M&D--it's pretty cheap, and i think the rubbings will turn out well. my child is OBSESSED with paper dolls in general.

we also have had this for a while now-- it's stencils, but easier than the ones linked above (and again M&D):

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Fashion-Stencil-Set/dp/B000VO3HCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354633761&sr=8-1&keywords=melissa+and+doug+fashion+stencil

we have a book like the stencil one listed and it's just a little above my daughter-- it's also filmsier than the plastic stencils (and less chunky, but mostly it's flimsy because i'ts made of paper and hard to negotiate .. lots of details)

i wish fashion plates were like old ones too :(