PDA

View Full Version : New vs. older Rock N Play?

AngB
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
DS2 isn't liking the Rock N Play like DS1 did. I know different kids and all of that, but I really think maybe it's not padded enough for him, he's kind of a finicky baby so far with that sort of thing..and he sleeps really well in the swing and carseat (both that have padded inserts) but won't hardly sleep at all in the RNP.

I am contemplating buying the newer "deluxe" one and selling our current one. Does anyone know how big the difference is between the two? Would I be better off saving myself from the hassle and just buying an insert like a snuzzler to make it more cushion-y? (We are planning to probably have 1 more so the new one would hopefully get more use than just DS2.)

flashy09
12-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I definitely would just because of the flat head concern. I don't know that the old RNP caused them or not, but there are some reviews on Amazon about it and I think better be safe than sorry.

When I was looking at RNP I was surprised how unpadded the regular one is. The deluxe version padding is not very thick, but it still seems much softer. The whole thing is much cozier.

amldaley
12-10-2012, 01:50 AM
I'd get the new one.

We had the new "deluxe" version and then bought an original from CL while on vacation. She was fine in the original but she ONLY slept in it 8 hours per night and she was already accustomed to it at that point.

She resisted the new "deluxe" at first when we got it and we found that folding a small blanket in the bottom to make the seat less deep helped when she was really tiny.

The new one is def. cushier and softer. It is not just the head rest. It seemed to me there was just a little softened of the padding on the back board as well.

The other thing is, I don't think it is a good idea to have them consistently in any one piece of gear...so she only slept nights in the RnP. She napped in a newborn napper, in a bassinet or, frankly, on us. Once they get over the idea they are no longer curled up in the womb, they need a little bit of a place to stretch out. So while she slept really well in the RnP, we made sure she was not in it constantly.

The price difference between the new and original is not that much either, IIRC. You could def. sell your old one on CL.

DH reminded me that when she was little, whatever postion we set her in the RnP in, she stayed in. So we tried to vary it up, head turned this way, propped up that way, etc.