PDA

View Full Version : Kids Bike question

westerbeck
12-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Our 4 year old boy and girl have outgrown their tricycles. I'd love to get an inexpensive bike with training wheels for them as a Christmas gift, but really have no idea where to start. Any recommendations for the type of bike? Where to buy a good deal? I see different sizes and was thinking a 14 inch bike (they are average size for 4 year olds). I really don't know much about bikes, except how to ride one, so your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,
Jennifer

eac
12-04-2012, 01:51 PM
the most common type is a 12 inch. do you have younger kids? if yes, I'd get a decent bike -- not necessarily a $50 one. Trek or Specialized bikes run closer to $150-200? you'd find those at bike shops. if you're looking to spend a lot less, you can get any bike from TRU, walmart, etc. You can request they put it together for you. they'll be ready for a 20 inch bike by about age 6. or you could go for a 16 inch if your child is on the taller side. I've never seen a 14 inch

Tinochka
12-04-2012, 02:37 PM
I would highly suggest to buy Specialized, Trek or Rei brand. Trek is a little bit heavier, but still good. I think you need 16 inch for 4y.o. I bought mine from CL in like new condition. I bought even 20” ahead of the game for $45. For a girl you can buy a basket, a bell, etc, just accessorize it to make it “new”.

Momit
12-04-2012, 03:09 PM
We just got a 14" bike for DS when he outgrows his balance bike. The 16" just seemed huge - a couple of his preschool classmates have them and they really struggle with them. DS is used to zipping around on his balance bike.

The 14" size is less common but they are out there. We bought a lower end bike store brand one for $10 on CL. It has some scratches but no rust or damage. We'll invest in a Specialized or similar when we move to a 16 or 20" that he'll use for a longer time. But for now the 14" was perfect for us.

Mommy2Abby
12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
We have the REI 16" Firefly for DD - we got it when she was 4.5 (she's average height), and they were able to adjust it for her.

http://www.rei.com/product/814575/novara-firefly-16-kids-bike-2013

It doesn't look like they have it in stock online anymore, but maybe a local store may have it? It's not cheap, but it's very well made - highly recommend it. And, the fact it's a 16" means they will have more time with it.

Mommy2Abby
12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Also - here's an older thread from a few weeks ago where someone was looking for a 14 or 16" bike that wasn't too girly... there are some other suggestions and links embedded in it:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=445564