PDA

View Full Version : Best prenatal vitamins?

TwoBees
12-04-2012, 04:14 PM
I finished my bottle of my women's multi, so I'm going to switch to prenatals, just in case. Is one brand better than other? With DD, I took Target brand, but some of my friends with different OBs had prescription meds, they said it was routine for their OBs to prescribe Rx prenatals. So now I wonder, is one OTC brand better than another?

lizzywednesday
12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I took prescription ones, but they aggravated my morning sickness, so I barely took them during my 1st trimester.

Anyway, if your OB/GYN's office has a nurse's line, maybe you could ask them what to look for in an OTC prenatal? I usually hear rec's of 800mg of folate, but other than that I don't have a number for other minerals like calcium or iron.

I take the Trader Joe's women's multi; it's not much different from their prenatal (even in price) except the prenatal includes red raspberry leaf extract as well as some laxative herbs that can help you "go" if you suffer from prenatal constipation when you're pregnant. (Assuming you're on the fence about TTC?)

mikala
12-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I use Rainbow Light on the recommendations of my doctor because it is food based. I also take fish oil and vitamin D while pregnant and breastfeeding.

kaharris83
12-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I also take Rainbow Light Prenatal One, Target's Up & Up DHA supplement(it is not fish oil based), and vitamin D. Did this with both pregnancies.

TwoBees
12-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Bumping this...I spoke with the nurse at my OB's, and she said any brand is fine as long as it has DHA. I noticed that the Rainbow Light do not have DHA. Kharris, did you take the separate Target DHA at the same time as the Rainbow light or at a different time of day?

Also, has anyone tried the Similac, Centrum, or One-A-Day prenatal vitamins?

kaharris83
12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
I take all my vitamins at the same time of day. While pregnant it was right before bed, in case they made me nauseous. Now I take them at lunch.

oneontheway
12-11-2012, 11:20 AM
This time around I am using a chewable with DHA. It is called Select OB +DHA. I like it a lot and there is no after taste.

I often wonder if the bigger pills are actually digested. I once saw a show where an expected mother (the Duggar's mom) had an xray and it showed her prenatal vitamins sitting in her stomach.

hillview
12-11-2012, 11:29 AM
New Chapter -- organic and whole food. They are $$.
http://www.diapers.com/p/new-chapter-perfect-prenatal-whole-food-multi-tabs-83272?site=CA&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=ANC-168&utm_campaign=Google&CAWELAID=1338612289&utm_content=pla&cagpspn=pla&ci_kw=%7Bkeyword%7D

I take them now as well (no pregnancy plans)