PDA

View Full Version : So bummed...

Twoboos
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
I just put up a fake Christmas tree. We've never had a fake tree with kids. Pre-kids we'd put up a little Charlie Brown tree if we were going to be away (but then I could get a fix of real at my mom's house), otherwise it's always real. We are away this Christmas (double bummer) so it's full-on-faux this year.

I guess the bright side is we already have it up, we usually wait until 2 weeks before Christmas to get the tree since they die so fast!

elbenn
12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Could you get a really nice pine candle to give off the aroma of a real Christmas tree? That might help.

new_mommy25
12-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Double post.

new_mommy25
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
We have a fake tree this year. I was a little nervous but it's quite beautiful and the not having to vaccuum daily thing is really, really nice. My MIL gave me these pine scented sticks that you hang from thr tree. It really makes a difference now that the tree smells real!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005VFESFC
I think she got them at Walmart.

MamaMolly
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
DH is allergic to pine trees so sadly it has been a LOOOOONG time since we had that lovely smell. And my poor kiddos will not know about it :(. I'm feeling it for you!

StantonHyde
12-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Every year I bitch about the cleanup and every year when I put up my real tree and smell that amazing smell, I know why I do it. I feel for you. :hug:

WitMom
12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Thymes Frasier Fir candle- get one stat! That will trick you into thinking your tree is real.

vtmom
12-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Thymes Frasier Fir candle- get one stat! That will trick you into thinking your tree is real.

We have this candle and I love it! And we have a real tree. I just love that smell in the house at Christmas.

Twoboos
12-05-2012, 02:37 PM
We have a Yankee Candle called Christmas Tree I have to dig out and sniff. Plus I'm going to look for those Scentcicle things.

But it's still not a real tree! :(

jal
12-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I was afraid we were going to have to go fake this year.

Ever since we've been married, we've always gone to a Christmas Tree farm and cut down a tree. But after years of having to be careful how tall the trees were, we fell in love with the dinning room in our house when we bought it about 15 years ago because the ceiling is 14' high.

Since we moved into the house, we've never had a Christmas Tree less than 10' tall... until this year. The tree farm didn't have any 10+ trees in the types we normally get. The only 10' trees they had were White Pine (which we hate because they have such weak branches and can't support many of our favoriate orniments).

We were about to leave the tree farm empty handed when we ran into an 8+' Arizona Cyprus. It wasn't huge, but my wife and I though it looks very pretty (it was also cheaper than other 8' trees). So we decided to not leave empty handed.

Now the tree (relative to the huge Virgina Pines we've been getting) is teriffic looking... it's the most "Christmas Tree" looking tree we've ever had. But it just looks so puny in the dinning room with those 14' ceilings.

gatorsmom
12-05-2012, 03:21 PM
You can have my real tree. My allergies are killing me and I dream of our pretty fake in storage.

Twoboos
12-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Well just to add insult to injury, my one and only ornament that was my grandmothers broke. I must not have put it on very securely, DH was helping with the garland and knocked it off. Right onto the windowsill. Crash. Sob.

This threw DDs into a crying, wailing tailspin. I mean really, I am very sad/upset about this but they were in hyperventilating hysterics. :rolleye0014: We collected the pieces into a ziplock, which is now on the tree. Is it January yet????

A big glass of wine helped. :54:

peanutbutternkelly
12-05-2012, 10:22 PM
AW! That sucks. We switched to fake once we had the girls... for two reasons and although I hate that it is fake I try to see the benefits: no cleaning up needles, no dead tree by xmas, we get to start the season way earlier and put up the tree right after Thanksgiving. And I buy tons of pine candles to fake the smell. I know it isn't the same but ...