PDA

View Full Version : Guarding someone else's children

DietCokeLover
12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Just walked out of Dollar General. Girl pulls up, leaves her two toddlers in the car with it running and goes in the store. One has now let herself out of the car seat. I am freaking out. But sitting in my car to make sure they stay safe.

Unbelievable!

Melaine
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
WTH?!? That's insane. I don't know.....tempting to call the cops but I hate to potentially involve CPS. Hard to imagine an "emergency" that involves rushing into DG!

crl
12-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Oh man.

Catherine

KDsMommy
12-05-2012, 01:01 PM
I would TOTALLY have called the cops. Not only is that insanely dangerous, but it's is also illegal. Makes you wonder what other things she does with her kids that put them at serious risk.

DietCokeLover
12-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I almost called the police, but knowing our small town police force, they would have done nothing.

A mom from my dc's school pulled up too and Sid something to the mom when she came out. The mom then kindly flipped us both off and drive away.

Poor kids. I think this is going to haunt me today.

KDsMommy
12-05-2012, 01:27 PM
I almost called the police, but knowing our small town police force, they would have done nothing.

A mom from my dc's school pulled up too and Sid something to the mom when she came out. The mom then kindly flipped us both off and drive away.

Poor kids. I think this is going to haunt me today.

OMG what a good role model she is for her poor kids.

crl
12-05-2012, 01:38 PM
You know, I really appreciate you taking your time to watch out for those kids. They have got a hard row to hoe at this point in their lives. Maybe enough people will take a few extra minutes here and there throughout their lives to help keep them safe and it will make a difference.

Catherine

MamaMolly
12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
You did the right thing in spite of that mother's tacky response. It would be tragic if one of her kids got ahold of the gear shift!

Mopey
12-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Didn't she herself have a reaction to seeing her kid out of the carseat?????!!?!?!?!?!?!

Yes, tacky nasty reaction. Thanks for looking out for them, and yes to hoping others do too.

wellyes
12-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Who the hell leaves a car running even without kids in it?????

TwinFoxes
12-05-2012, 01:53 PM
You know, I really appreciate you taking your time to watch out for those kids. They have got a hard row to hoe at this point in their lives. Maybe enough people will take a few extra minutes here and there throughout their lives to help keep them safe and it will make a difference.

Catherine

:yeahthat:

glbb35
12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
She flipped you the bird? OMG you are more patient then I would have been. I would have called the cops and let them know what you saw and would have given them her license plate number. I live in a larger town and every year someone leaves a kid in the car during the summer and they either bake or the parents get arrested b/c someone intervenes ahead of time. The cops around here take it very seriously no matter the season.

You did a good thing by waiting to make sure her kids were safe. I hope she might have driven away and then maybe got a little scare in her and then think twice before doing it again. How sad for the kids. And the other posters are right. I can only imagine what else they have to deal with as a mom.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

DietCokeLover
12-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes, she flipped me and the other mom off as she drove away. Rolled her eyes when she was told she shouldn't leave her kids in the car, etc. she was on the phone talking the whole time.

A real winner.

twowhat?
12-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm shocked the kids were even in a carseat to begin with.

KLD313
12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I just read a story today where a 2 year old was left in a car with the keys. The parents ran into the store for a second and the car was stolen. The police just found the car but not the baby. So sad. OP, it was kind of you to watch the kids a s the mother should be ashamed of herself.

LizLemon
12-06-2012, 11:05 PM
WTH?!? That's insane. I don't know.....tempting to call the cops but I hate to potentially involve CPS. Hard to imagine an "emergency" that involves rushing into DG!

I wouldn't be that concerned about that, personally. From what I have seen, a lot of the time cops don't report to CPS (maybe they don't like paperwork or bureaucracy either). Also, even if a report were made, if that were the parent's first time in the system my guess is CPS in most states would minimally investigate and then do nothing with it, maybe recommend parent training or something if they were feeling particularly ambitious.

hellokitty
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
That was nice of you, but geez, getting flipped off is not a great way to thanked for it. I have a friend who is a social worker and she has been known to call the cops on ppl when she sees this. One time she even used her car to block in the other car, b/c they tried to leave before the cops got there.

kijip
12-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Do you live in Mayberry? She must feel really safe to be willing to leave the engine running. Who leaves the car running (and thus also unlocked more likely than not), kids or no kids? Strange.

Of course in Mayberry she wouldn't be flipping you off.

doberbrat
12-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm shocked the kids were even in a carseat to begin with.

Isnt that the sad truth??? :(

KDsMommy
12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Do you live in Mayberry? She must feel really safe to be willing to leave the engine running. Who leaves the car running (and thus also unlocked more likely than not), kids or no kids? Strange.

My XH did this last year around this time. He left my then-4-year-old DS in his running truck to go in a grocery store and get snacks. My DS still talks about it, it was really scary for him. Suffice it to say the judge wasn't very impressed with his parenting skills.

And this is FAR from Mayberry.

Giantbear
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
we almost had the cops called on us a few weeks ago. I left dd and my wife in the car when i ran into the deli for sandwiches, but a man in the parking lot never saw my wife. He came over to the car and kept looking in at dd and finally saw my wife when he was on with 911. She was in the backseat with dd picking up stuff off the floor of the car. He told me the story in the deli.

I found a kid locked in a car outside buy buy baby once, but as i was dialing, the mother came back, ignored my comments and drove off. I would definitely call the police if i came across it again.