PDA

View Full Version : awkward situation...how much to pay myself?

gcc2k
12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
My brother and SIL "hired" me to make Shutterfly photo albums of their wedding to give to each set of parents for Christmas. (Granted they got married in 2008, so this gift is a long time coming, but that's another story.)

I have finished both albums and they will be shipped in time for Christmas. They are each around 40 pages and each cost about $40. My SIL just sent me a blank check to reimburse me for the cost of the books and my time.

I spent about 20 hours creating these 2 books. (I know because I was meticulous about keeping track of my hours.) I spent nearly 3 hours just going through their 1,000+ photos and organizing them and deciding which ones to use where. I think both books turned out really nice and the parents are all going to be very happy. (My SIL and brother are very pleased.)

But now I don't know how much to pay myself. Ideally, I think I should get paid $10/hour, but that's paying myself $200 + the cost of the books. I feel like I'm bilking them a little. But my SIL is an attorney who makes over six figures, and my brother makes close to that. They have no children, and while they live in a higher COL area, they are certainly not hurting for money. What they don't have a lot of is time, and that's why they pay people to do things for them. (Like make this book.)

So BBBers, what do you think is fair compensation for my work? Am I a bad sister to charge $200? I spoke with my brother and he insists he's not going to give me a figure, I have to do this myself. Oh how I wish they would have just written me a check with a number and be done with it!

BabyBearsMom
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
If it were my sister, I would just want to be reimbursed for the books. I wouldn't charge for my time.

twowhat?
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Yikes, that's a really tough one...I'll tell you though...graphic designers make a LOT more than $10/hr. But I am guessing you also did this as a favor to your brother and SIL (a favor/job)?

Honestly? I'd charge them the price of what it cost you to pay for the books. And then hope that they give you a big fat gift certificate for Christmas.

gcc2k
12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
If it were my sister, I would just want to be reimbursed for the books. I wouldn't charge for my time.

I know, I agree with you somewhat and feel a little guilty about taking money. But when they asked me to do this, they offered to pay me. I'm a SAHM married to a teacher and every little bit I can make on the side helps cover the bills each month.

crl
12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
I think I would write an email explaining what you did here about the number of hours you spent and that at $10 per hour that means $x. Then I would say that you would really like for them to let you know if they feel like that is unreasonable because you don't want any bad feelings over this.

I think $10 an hour is totally reasonable, btw.

Catherine

gcc2k
12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
And then hope that they give you a big fat gift certificate for Christmas.

Ha ha! That would be nice, but we agreed a couple of years ago that us "adult children" won't exchange gifts unless we actually spend Christmas together. (Which we are not since my brother will be with his in-laws.)

twowhat?
12-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Ha ha! That would be nice, but we agreed a couple of years ago that us "adult children" won't exchange gifts unless we actually spend Christmas together. (Which we are not since my brother will be with his in-laws.)

I just think they put you in a really awkward position!! I'm thinking crl's idea might be best then. Just tell them that the books cost $80, and that you spent 20 hours on it and "charged" $10/hr. What I'm hoping is that they think to themselves "$10/hr? That's crap!" And then cut you an even bigger check :D

squimp
12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Is there any way to compare the time to what a professional would have spent? For some reason, $200 sounds a little high to me, but $100 sounds kinda inexpensive. Maybe they'd spend 3/4 the time, so you could say $150?

Pennylane
12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Could you just tell them the time you spent doing it and just ask them to pay you what they think is fair?

Ann

mackmama
12-05-2012, 06:37 PM
They put you in a really uncomfortable spot. I make a lot of albums and think $200 is very reasonable. Albums take a lot of time.

khm
12-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Ok, that is SUPER awkward. If they aren't "into" photo albums, I doubt they have any idea of the time it took. None. They might think it took hardly anytime at all.

I think $200 sounds reasonable, but will they? I dunno.

I would just tell them how long you spent doing x, y and z and ask them. I don't think I could just write $200 and not be stressed to the max about their reaction.

brittone2
12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Ok, that is SUPER awkward. If they aren't "into" photo albums, I doubt they have any idea of the time it took. None. They might think it took hardly anytime at all.

I think $200 sounds reasonable, but will they? I dunno.

I would just tell them how long you spent doing x, y and z and ask them. I don't think I could just write $200 and not be stressed to the max about their reaction.
:yeahthat: I know they are very time consuming, but do they? I don't think you are charging an inappropriate rate, but I'd be concerned that they agreed to throw some money your way without knowing what they were getting into. And if you are perfectionist, they may love the end product but not get how time consuming it was to complete and have "polished."

crl
12-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I could be way off base here, but if the SIL and brother are busy professionals (did I see attorneys?), I think they will think $10 per hour is dirt cheap for any service. I know for us, with dh as counsel at a big law firm, anything that is at that rate is awesome. (His work gets billed out to clients at $790 an hour--that's NOT what he gets paid of course--but it gives some perspective on how much time is worth to busy professionals.). So even if they didn't realize how much time it would take, I don't think the total will make them flinch.

Catherine

California
12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
You've given them peace of mind that this is done, and that is huge!! $200 sounds like a steal to me for such a special gift that they are now able to give their parents.

flashy09
12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
That's so awkward, but I would not feel bad about $200 at all. That was tedious work and you are $80 out of pocket so really just charging $120. I am sure they picked you to do the album because they thought you would do a good job and "let's give the money to a SAHM family member, not a big business" and are not expecting you to not charge them. $10/hr is very reasonable and a good deal for them. Everyone wins. Don't feel bad!

Globetrotter
12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Could you just tell them the time you spent doing it and just ask them to pay you what they think is fair?

:yeahthat: Say that you really feel weird about this so could they just decide what to pay you. People who aren't into these things don't always realize how much work goes into it, esp. for a large project like this.

If they still insist that you decide, find out the going rate (there are people who do this for a living - hint, hint!) and charge that or a little less since it's family.

karstmama
12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
i'd make a very detailed invoice, with hours written out somehow - '2 hours choosing photos, 3 hours doing whatever, 3 hours doing something else' with dates you did the hours. i'd put in what the albums cost. then i think i'd say something like 'professionals charge $xx an hour, but my family rate is $10 an hour, so your total is $whatyoufigurehourly + thealbumcost + shipping.' basically, show why your number isn't pulled from the thin air and why they're getting a bargain and why even though the number is pretty big, you aren't gouging them.

hillview
12-05-2012, 09:25 PM
I think $200 is totally reasonable for 2 books! I'd pay you really I would. I need a baby book for DS2 and a wedding album (almost 10 years).

I'd let SIL know how many hours your spent and the sunk cost and ask her what she thinks is fair as you don't want any family drama.

gcc2k
12-05-2012, 09:35 PM
When I originally spoke to my SIL and agreed to do this (and get paid) I warned her that it could take 10-20 hours worth of work. She didn't seem to care or mind how long it would take. I also don't think she has ever done anything like this and has no idea how time consuming it can be. Of course I probably spent a few more hours than I had to because I'm a perfectionist and definitely wanted it to look polished, especially since one of the books is for my parents.

I talked to my brother about payment when I finished, quoting 20 hours worth of work, and he said he would talk to SIL and get back to me. When I got the blank check I called my brother and asked WTH I was supposed to do with that. He said SIL thought I should just write the check for what I think I should. He refused to give me any guidance. I threw the $200 figure out there (payment for me, not including the extra $80 to reimburse me for the cost of the book) and he didn't say anything.

They've really left me hanging.

Philly Mom
12-05-2012, 09:46 PM
280 is nothing for this. Write the check. You are a great sister!

ChristinaLucia
12-05-2012, 11:23 PM

Ann

This exactly. I would say what the books cost and how many hours I put into it and let them determine how much to pay me.

3isEnough
12-05-2012, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=gcc2k;3667754]When I originally spoke to my SIL and agreed to do this (and get paid) I warned her that it could take 10-20 hours worth of work. She didn't seem to care or mind how long it would take. I also don't think she has ever done anything like this and has no idea how time consuming it can be./QUOTE]

I disagree with one part of what you wrote, she probably has never done anything like this because she knows exactly how time consuming it can be. I'm not an artsy type of person, which is why I've never created a photo album or anything like that. I would be *thrilled* to pay someone $10/hour to create photo albums for me. And I bet you $10/hour is nothing to her. My attorney friends pay people more than that to run errands and go to the grocery store (tasks which, IMHO, take much less skill than photo albums).

I recall that 10 years ago my photographer was going to charge $1000 to create my wedding album, so I think $200 is nothing in comparison!

speo
12-05-2012, 11:54 PM
I think they are just happy to have it done and not have to think about it. You already mentioned $280 and they have given you a blank check. Fill it out for that and be done. I bet they would be happy to not have to discuss or think about it. That's what they wanted you to do, it seems.