PDA

View Full Version : What is your holiday season like this year (Traditions, Gifts, Events, Activities)?

sunnyside
12-05-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm curious what traditions, gifts, events, activities you all do for the holidays? I did this on another board and it was really fun to hear about all the ways people participate in the season. It doesn't have to be things you buy, it can be family together time, or anything really.

This is the first year that my daughter sort of understands, and I want to do as much as possible. I'm a single mom, so it's just the two of us in our family, though her dad sees her 3 days a month, he won't in December.

I also want to start some new traditions, and am not sure which ones. I also have not fully decided on how to handle Santa yet. I wasn't going to tell her he is real..., but right now she, of course, is believing and having fun with the character and stories. We are not religious, but are spiritual, and are attending the Unitarian Church, so incorporating some activities that include learning about others religions and seasonal activities, and also some activities centered around helping our community (buying gifts / necessary items for those less fortunate, etc).

This is our plan so far:

Christmas gift possibilities:
Lego/Train table (small one) and Small figure 8 train set - Already have
Corolle Baby Doll (but she already has two baby dolls, one Corolle and one other)
Doll Rocking Horse (from PBK)
Doll clip on high chair so "Baby" can eat with us. (I like this since our family is so small LOL)
Wooden Kitchen ??
Kitchen food and cooking utensils
New Puzzles
New Books

Events:
Tickets to Nutcracker - Already have - (possible tradition)
Tickets on local train that does Santa trip - Already have - (possible tradition)
Possibly Cinnamon Bear River Cruise (not sure yet)
Zoo Lights (Christmas lights at the zoo) - Tickets come with membership
Visit the historic walkable street here that does crazy lights (Peacock Lane) - (possible tradition)
Visit Macy's Christmas Land and mail Santa a letter - (possible tradition)
View the Christmas Ships Parade on the river
Drive through Christmas light display at Portland International Raceway
Winter Solstice service (maybe)
Holiday Handbell Concert (maybe)

Anyway, please share what you all have going on for the holidays. I am especially interested in any fun traditions you have.

I also found this fun link for ideas: http://www.cozi.com/live-simply/50-holiday-traditions

♥ms.pacman♥
12-05-2012, 11:59 PM
first off, wow that is really an impressive list!!

we typically do:

-visit to Santa at Mall that has ice palace/snow display (did it 2 years ago, will likely do it again this year too. it's the same santa and he rocks)
-Polar Express train ride - show + train ride to "north pole" with visit from Santa (did it last year and this year)
- visit Kansas City South Holiday Express - train decked out with lights. includes visit Santa + tour train with Christmas decorations + model trains insisde (we did it this year for the first time, would love to make it a tradition)
walking through town to see lights, choreographed to music (went last year, may do again this year if weather remains crazy-warm)
- getting holiday pics done of the whole family (though this isn't always fun, lol)

I'd love to take the kiddos to Nutcracker but I think we are gonna wait a few more years...no way my DD could sit through!!

other non-events but holiday stuff we've done so far: Hanna holiday pajamas, hot chocolate (out of real mugs!), candy canes, decorating the tree and yard with lights, ornaments, etc. Hot chocolate sadly we have only done once because it has been in the 70s/80s recently.

sunnyside
12-06-2012, 12:14 AM
first off, wow that is really an impressive list!!

we typically do:

-visit to Santa at Mall that has ice palace/snow display (did it 2 years ago, will likely do it again this year too. it's the same santa and he rocks)
-Polar Express train ride - show + train ride to "north pole" with visit from Santa (did it last year and this year)
- visit Kansas City South Holiday Express - train decked out with lights. includes visit Santa + tour train with Christmas decorations + model trains insisde (we did it this year for the first time, would love to make it a tradition)
walking through town to see lights, choreographed to music (went last year, may do again this year if weather remains crazy-warm)
- getting holiday pics done of the whole family (though this isn't always fun, lol)

I'd love to take the kiddos to Nutcracker but I think we are gonna wait a few more years...no way my DD could sit through!!

other non-events but holiday stuff we've done so far: Hanna holiday pajamas, hot chocolate (out of real mugs!), candy canes, decorating the tree and yard with lights, ornaments, etc. Hot chocolate sadly we have only done once because it has been in the 70s/80s recently.

You have a great list too! Thanks for posting, I was hoping people will feel ok about sharing. Did you think the Polar Express and the Holiday Express train were "different" enough? There is a Polar Express here, but I opted for the local version, but was wondering if I should do the other one too.

sunshine873
12-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I agree that you have an impressive list. I grew up with a ton of traditions and my mom put a lot of effort into making Christmas magical, so I am LOVING doing the same for my DD. Seeing the magic through her eyes is incredibly rewarding Keep in mind, we are Christian, and love the tradition of Santa. I believe the Spirit of Santa, combined with the birth of Jesus can teach so much about giving. Anyway, here's my list:

- Start on Dec 1st with Advent calendar. Each day has a sheet of paper with an activity (occasionally leads to a small gift.)
- A scripture a day
- Decorate the house (lights, knick knacks, nativity set, ec.)
- Go find and cut (if available) our tree. (this is always a major family event.)
- Decorate the tree (spiced cider, Christmas music.)
- New ornament for DD every year. Also just started making an ornament for her (glass ball with her Christmas list inside.) These will be hers to keep, so she'll have a good start to decorating her tree when she grows up. I love looking over all the ornaments from over the years.
- Make cookies
- Day of giving...pass out candy canes to everyone you meet.
- see the Nutcracker (this is DDs first year...she is so excited!)
- Drive around and look at lights.
- Write letter to Santa
- Go see Santa
- Angel tree
- DD makes or helps shop for/wraps her own little gift for mommy and daddy (important that she learn the joy of giving and she's totally getting into it.)
CHRISTMAS EVE
- Church
- Traditional dinner (stuffed cabbage and raisin doughnuts)
- Put carrots, oats and sprinkles out for reindeer
- Leave cookies and milk out for Santa
- Head to bed and discover that Santa did a fly-by with new PJs for everyone. Perfect! New, cute, clean Jammie's for Christmas pictures!
- Read The Night Before Christmas and go to sleep so Santa can come!
CHRISTMAS DAY
- DD wakes up to one present at the foot of her bed. Some kind of activity to keep her somewhat entertained until its time to actually wake up. ;) (Crayons, stickers, etc.)
- DH or I run downstairs to turn on the tree lights, get camera ready, etc.
- We all get something to drink (spiced cider or cocoa for DD and mimosas or bloody Mary's for DH and I.) and sit down in front of the tree.
- Read the Christmas Story from the bible...that's why we're celebrating, after all.
- Open our stockings (any snacking on stocking goodies is encouraged.)
- Open gifts. One at a time. Appreciate each item, stop and play with something if needed. :)
- Make brunch (quiche and homemade muffins.)
- Play and lounge all day
- Get dressed up and go out for dinner.
-Day after, Grandpa and Nana arrive for a few days and we celebrate with them.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
You have a great list too! Thanks for posting, I was hoping people will feel ok about sharing. Did you think the Polar Express and the Holiday Express train were "different" enough? There is a Polar Express here, but I opted for the local version, but was wondering if I should do the other one too.

oh yeah they were very different. well actually the local version of the Polar express train here is called the North Pole Express, and it's a vintage railroad train ride. There is a Christmas show at first outside the train in a tent, but DS could care less about it..he just wanted to board the train! DS liked it bc he liked riding the train and looking out the window. They play christmas music on the train and then at the end when they get to the "north pole" Santa comes on board and gives all the kids little bells to ring. they loved those!

Whereas the KCS Holiday Express (was at a different city) was more about just looking at a train..the train didnt' move at all but it was decked out in lights, etc. and when you finally get to go inside (it was a 1.5 hr wait in line) you see Santa, and then look at model train city decked out in holiday decorations. Here is a collage i made from it on my phone. ds loved it too, even thoguh he did not get to "ride" the train .
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8483/8220611333_0a868d703e_c.jpg

maydaymommy
12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I just want to say WOW to all the traditions!

Sunshine, we are "not a Christmas family," as ds1 & ds2 say, but still, your family activities sound awesome & even made me a little teary - especially the Christmas Eve & Day plans.

We celebrate Hannukkah. Kids go to a Jewish preschool/K, so there is a lot of activity and learning about the holiday, and also a family event at school.

DS2 is old enough to know that Hannukah is not really an "important" holiday to our religion, and that it only has become a big deal because of it's proximity to Christmas. Nonetheless, we go all out with Hannukah presents. They not only get 8 from us, but one each night from my parents, and a bunch more from the other grandparents and various relatives. It's really excessive. Some nights are experiences (like go the the aquarium & renew our membership or start karate class that day) or a family gift (hooking up a used game system someone gave us). Still, I'm embarrassed to admit that I do something called "morning gifts" during Hannukah. It's stocking stuffer type of things - mustache set, finger lights, candy, things like that, each morning.

We will attend a few big family celebrations with all the traditional foods - latkes, sufganiyot (jelly donuts), in-laws make other things made with oil.

Each morning we will put the candles in the menorah to get ready for that evening. Each night we will light candles and do the blessings, then open gifts.

Before the holiday starts we make some decorations, start playing dreidel, and read Hanukkah books. We also try to go through toys & find some good ones to donate & contribute a few new items to toy drives.

During Christmas break we'll do a big night of driving around to see lights. After EVERY time the kids play in the snow they MUST get hot cocoa when they come inside, no matter when it is.

lizzywednesday
12-06-2012, 11:09 AM
My DH and I had some very different traditions with our families growing up - his family is Protestant (Lutheran) while my family is Catholic.

My family didn't do the Santa thing in the same way as my DH's family - DH is VERY big on Santa; I could take-or-leave it. I miss doing an Advent wreath with my family every night after supper, though. We always put a plaster Kneeling Santa figure at the center of our wreath, which was a good reminder that, in our faith tradition, there was a bigger reason for the season of Christmas.

When we first moved in together, we each brought expectations of continuing our own family traditions in our own ways.

When DD was born, we tried to work out our feelings regarding organized religion in general and the Christmas season in particular.

Things we have done in the past include:

The Christmas Eve "Children's Service" at the Presbyterian Church in the next town over (sometimes DH's nieces & nephew sing with the children's choir; it's completely wretched, but I smile through it for their sakes)
Trip to NYC to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree & lunch in the City (sometimes we like to head to the outdoor holiday markets)
Christmas Concert (I am a chorister & usually have one this time of year, though it didn't happen this year)
Pre-Christmas Christmas Party with DH's family (MIL, aunt-in-law, cousin-in-law & SIL take turns hosting; we do a grab-bag gift for the kids & everyone brings a dish to share)
Pre-Christmas Christmas Party with my family (we host & make a lasagna and dessert, exchange gifts & have a good time)
Taking Christmas Card photos with DD's cousins on MY side of the family (we've done this each Black Friday since 2010 when the kids were 1 yr, 8 mos and 2 mos old - it saves us all money & we get to be "green" by only sending one card!)

I do most of my shopping online so there's no real "tradition" of shopping.

When I was a child, I used to look forward to baking Christmas cookies with my mother. We make lebkuchen, pfeffernusse, springerle, almond crescents and sometimes sugar cookies. I haven't got the energy to do all of these this year, but I may attempt the pfeffernusse at some point this weekend if I make the time for them - they need to proof overnight and I need to buy rum (yes, they're like fruitcake - they need a good soak in rum & some aging to be great.)

Oh, and when I put our Nativity sets out, I omit Baby Jesus until Christmas Day. (Last year, when DH asked me why, I told him that I couldn't put Baby Jesus out before Christmas as he hadn't been born yet. Duh. Yes, I am a bossy-boots.)

Melaine
12-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Wow....tons of ideas here!

We have done: Toys for Tots and Operation Christmas Child, baking and giving Christmas cookies to the neighbors, Christmas lights at our local zoo, reading our favorite Christmas books (we have collected about 30 or so), watching our favorite Christmas movies, playing with the nativity sets, Christmas light show in our neighborhood, Christmas program at church, local free Christmas concerts, drive-through nativity show (this is great), talking to Santa at the mall (only if there is little-no wait!), building a gingerbread house (this is DH's department....my GB houses look like they have lived through several hurricanes).

Things I would like to add this year:
Caroling...not sure how to bring this about because we will definitely not go by ourselves as DH won't sing and I am terrible at singing.
Version of elf on the shelf. No naughty nice stuff. Just find the elf in the morning.
Making a Christmas wreath. We are doing this today. We'll see how it goes.

123LuckyMom
12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
We celebrate Advent, Chanukah, and Christmas. For Advent, we decorate our Advent wreath. On Sundays we light the new candle and read scripture and do prayers. DS LOVES candles, so we've taken to lighting that week's candle each night at dinner. DS gets to do the whole thing (lighting the match, the candle, and blowing the candle out). We have three Advent calendars. One is a magnetic crèche scene where we add a figure each night. Another is a paper calendar with a scripture passage. The last is the Jacquie Lawson calendar on the computer.

We start putting our outdoor lights and indoor decorations up on the first Sunday of Advent, and build them up throughout the season. We get our tree (from a farm where we hike out, choose, cut, and drag out) a couple of weeks in to Advent. We gradually add decorations throughout the rest of Advent. In Advent the town hosts a holiday walk with a "reindog" parade where the dogs dress up as reindeer or in other holiday costume. Our dog is too old to participate now, so we watch the parade, and we see Santa at the end. There's also a trolley ride, caroling, and a Habitat for Humanity tree display where we give donations. On the same weekend, Stockbridge recreates itself to look like it does in the Norman Rockwell painting and does a similar festival. We try to go to both. There is one tree lighting ceremony that waits until Advent. We go to that one. We also try to go to the Lessons and Carols service at the local college.

We have a giving tree at church to buy presents for needy children. We go to the children's Christmas Eve service where our family dresses as sheep for the "Friendly Beasts" song. When we can get my mom or sister to babysit, DH and I go to midnight mass (He's Roman Catholic.) On Christmas day we do food and presents. Each day of Christmas we read a (religious) Christmas book and go to sleep to a recording of the Christmas Story. This one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0689810989

During the 12 days of Christmas we do one stint in NY. We alternate the Christmas Spectacular with the Nutcracker. We see the tree at Rockefellar Center, and see the windows. We already did the train show at the Botanical Gardens, but we would usually do that in that week. On New Year's Eve, we go to a local ski slope where they do a light show skiing down the mountain followed by fireworks. We're home in time to see the ball drop on tv. Throughout Christmas we move the wise men from the creche set closer and closer each night. On Epiphany, they arrive, and we have a special dinner celebration. That night, DH and I take down all the decorations. We leave the denuded tree and the unlit outdoor lights for the weekend, but everything else is gone on January 7. Everyone has fled to Egypt!

For Chanukah, we celebrate if my mom is in town. When she's not, we tend to let it slide. We light the menorah with prayers, sing "Oh Chanukah", get Chanukah gelt (chocolate for DS and real money for us), and do a Chanukah grab bag with one small gift for each night.

sunnyside
12-06-2012, 03:32 PM
I love hearing what everyone has planned! So fun!