PDA

View Full Version : What to get the friend who has everything?

mom2one
12-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Okay fellow BBB'ers, I need your help.

I am going out this weekend to celebrate a good friends birthday. I have known her just a little over a year. There are 3 of us taking the friend out to dinner. The other two have know "T" much longer than I have.

T has everything. I was rambling on about this earlier with my husband, trying to come up with some idea.
Here are some thoughts on her
1- she loves wine, but I just gave her a bottle of her favorite wine in October as a house warming gift
2- she only wears expensive jewerly
3- she does not read that I am aware of or maybe she just does not have the time with two kids :)
4- she is a SAHM, and likes to run, and did I mention she likes wine (just kidding)

I have come up with one idea- a gift certificate to get a manicure/pedicure.
I guess it boils down to that I think nothing will be good enough and that the other 2 friends will have the better gift.

My other thought (which DH Hated) was to not take a gift and just see what the other two do. We are celebrating her birthday this Sunday, but her birthday is closer to the 25th. I could always say I left her gift at home. IS that terrible? I would still get her a gift, but just wait and see what happens.

Help!
Susan

jacksmomtobe
12-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Do you know that the others are giving gifts not just expecting to pay for split the cost of the dinner among the 3 of you? Could you ask the other 2 for ideas or what they are giving her? Maybe you could give her something related to wine appreciation? Are there any local wine related events that you could get her tickets to? Or how about a gift certificate to a local running store? Do you know that she gets pedicures? As a runner your feet can get very banged up and I personally would be embarrassed to get a pedicure with my runners feet.

anonomom
12-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Sounds like a consumable gift is in order -- something foodie. Is there an olive oil store near you anywhere? We have one near us that has dozens of flavors of olive oil and balsamic vinegars, and it's become our go-to place for gifts. We usually pick coordinating oil and vinegar.

Otherwise, a small box of really nice chocolate or the like. Or, as cheesy as it sounds, an edible arrangement. We really like those here.

Pennylane
12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
I would get her a nice Thyme candle or something similar. They are not cheap, $25-$45 dollars and who doesn't love candles! Especially the really nice ones:) If you want to spend more, then you can also pay for her dinner when you go out.

Ann

captobey
12-06-2012, 09:50 AM
What about the 3 of you going in on a gift card for her? Nordstroms, Lucy, LuLu, Athleta come to mind.

misshollygolightly
12-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I'd ask the other two what, if anything, they're getting her. Wine glass charms could be fun. Or a gift card to a nearby restaurant that does wine tastings. How about a nice cheese platter and spreader, or an assortment of cheeses and/or chocolates for pairing with wine?

elbenn
12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I like the Thymes candle idea.

Since you know that she likes wine, do you know her wine glasses situation? The reason I ask is that I like wine, too, and I have many Riedel glasses for different varietals, but I often just want to use a wine glass that I can put in the dishwasher! I finally bought some Schott Zwiesel wine glasses and they are so nice! They are just as good as the Riedel glasses, but you can put them in the dishwasher! If you buy these, I would make sure they are the bigger glass variety (like 15-21 ounces) and that the height would fit in a dishwasher (some of them are pretty tall).

brittone2
12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I saw wine ice cream today on Pinterest...5% alcohol. If it was more portable, that could be a fun one.

http://www.mercersdairy.com/Wine_Ice_Cream_home_page.php

infomama
12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Marshmallows with alcohol in them. Santa..are you listening?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sugarknife/sugar-knife-marshmallows-small-batch-big-flavor

jerigirl
12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Marshmallows with alcohol in them. Santa..are you listening?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sugarknife/sugar-knife-marshmallows-small-batch-big-flavor

Whoa!They all look good!

Globetrotter
12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm not a fan of candles :p but I know a lot of people are.

How about those fancy olive oils or gourmet spreads? I love that kind of stuff but feel it's too pricey to splurge.