PDA

View Full Version : Flipping out upset about ThredUp, will never send stuff there again

Radosti
12-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I sent in one bag of stuff and it was mostly new with tags stuff in various sizes and they accepted most of it. I was ok with it. Until I just now realized that they made a one piece Polar fleece bunting in 2T from LL Bean disappear even though it was only worn twice.

I sent in a second bag a little while ago. This time it was a mix of used in great condition and new. They only accepted 3 used items, and the rest are all new. Then, on top of it all, they "did not accept" a BRAND NEW pair of Pedoodles shoes.

I am so upset with them. Will never use them again.

khalloc
12-06-2012, 12:09 PM
I've never heard of Thred Up until recently in these forums.

So you send in your clothes and whatever they dont like they just dont pay you for and they dont give it back to you? I am struggling to grasp that concept. Sounds like basically they can steal your stuff and just tell you it wasnt up to their standards. WTF? I'd be pissed to!

Melaine
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM

So you send in your clothes and whatever they dont like they just dont pay you for and they dont give it back to you? I am struggling to grasp that concept. Sounds like basically they can steal your stuff and just tell you it wasnt up to their standards. WTF? I'd be pissed to!

:yeahthat: I just don't get this.

Radosti
12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes, exactly, I was very skeptical at first, but saw so many great reviews that I decided to try them. This is exactly what they did. Stole brand new stuff and most of the used stuff. Just not up to their standards. How dare they? New in package Pedoodles are not up to their standards???

MamaMolly
12-06-2012, 12:54 PM

;) I guess they say it's not stealing if you give it to them.

After reading here about the experiences of others I skipped it and took 35 lbs of clothes to Once Upon a Child. I know they have a reputation of giving pennies for good stuff, but I got almost $90 for about half the items, and I got to take the rejects home (or down the street to the thrift store to donate, as I did) I shopped for my kids while they sorted my stuff and 'bought' $60 of items..in other words, free! Plus I still have the rest in store credit that is good for a year.

I even had a Thread Up bag waiting for the OUAC reject but decided I didn't even want to deal with them. OP I'm so sorry you got burned!

mommyoftwo
12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry Rada. I'd be pretty pissed too. Is there anything at all that you can do about it?

kijip
12-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Also, there is no shortage of less expensive brands for sale on their website. I see Circo, Cherokee, Old Navy etc. Frankly it makes me wonder if they are really donating all of the "rejects" or if they aren't skimming nice stuff off to more expensive resell options like eBay.

westwoodmom04
12-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I've had some bad experiences with local consignment shops too. I left a $400 Valco Runabout with lots of nice accessories like the toddler seat and sun shade, a $300 combi double stroller and highchair to the locally owned one with the best reputation that had been around for at least five years at the time. The items sold quickly but I never got paid. Whenever I called, they said they had forgotten and would send the check out the next day. Correspondence to the owner went unanswered. Within a year the store had gone out of business.

I had previously sold some high end clothes at another local shop. The owners were always grouchy and bitched to me that the clothes needed to be ironed (completely ridiculous if you could see how crowded the racks were).

Anyway, I ultimately concluded it was way easier to just drop the stuff off at goodwill, and take the tax deduction.

JMS
12-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Also, there is no shortage of less expensive brands for sale on their website. I see Circo, Cherokee, Old Navy etc. Frankly it makes me wonder if they are really donating all of the "rejects" or if they aren't skimming nice stuff off to more expensive resell options like eBay.

And I don't really think its priced reasonably. I was surprised now expensive some of the lesser brand items were.

Rada- you should keep an eye on eBay.

LMPC
12-06-2012, 01:28 PM
I would be beyond pissed! So sorry you got burned!!!

okinawama
12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I have heard some terrible reviews on them lately. Have they changed ownership/management or are things just going down hill? I've never used them, but initially I read some good reviews (that was a while ago), but recently I've really heard a lot of negative experiences!

TwinFoxes
12-06-2012, 03:31 PM

They actually don't claim to donate it. They just say it's not thrown away.

KpbS
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM

:yeahthat: !!!

infomama
12-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I was considering this but with the couple of negative reviews I'm not. I remember how peeved I was when a local place offered me 1.00 for a brand new, with tags NFL licensed down coat. A flippin dollar!!

Radosti
12-06-2012, 04:52 PM
I emailed and called them and left a message. No reply.

bisous
12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Wow. What is crazy is that a business like that is built on positive feedback from customers. Some of you mentioned that you felt skeptical about the idea BUT there had been so much positive buzz that you figured you'd try it! In other words, they may benefit in the short term from "taking" your brand new items but with such bad press, their gig cannot remain operational for long! Short-term gain, long-term loss it seems.

I'm glad you posted, OP!

Radosti
12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
That's why I posted. I got taken by other positive reviews and I actually was not complaining too much about my first bag. Seems the person who reviewed my first bag was a lot more honest than the second person reviewing my second bag. Although the first person did make the LL Bean snowsuit disappear. The second person just stole half the stuff, including the super expensive shoes. The thing is that I was counting on those shoes to make it worth sending the bag in. Ugh.

kijip
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
They actually don't claim to donate it. They just say it's not thrown away.

On their page it says it goes to a recycle company. So they get paid for their rejects. Quite a bit of wiggle room for them.

When they first opened, you sent a no and got a credit to swap for a box with someone else. Their model has changed. I hear more bad than good.

wellyes
12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I may be the only person who still likes it. So easy. I've made about $90 sending in mostly mid-level stuff that I bought used in the first place. But if you are really into resale it's not a good option. I just think of it as being easier than donating (itemizing, schelpping, etc).

But I don't shop there. And looking at my account, the vast majority of stuff I sent in hasn't sold. It's an odd business model.

mik8
12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
I won't belabor my experience with them, but let's just say my first bag sent was my last.

Radosti
12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Only 4 items from my first bag have not yet sold. I sent in nothing lesser than gymbo or gap. Ugh.

Mikey0709
12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
OH NO - - they just received my bag yesterday.... now i'm nervous.....