PDA

View Full Version : Update #12: need some kitchen remodel WWYD advice?

AnnieW625
12-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Backstory:
We bought our then 55 yr. old house in 2005. The kitchen was remodeled by the prior owners in 2003 or 2004. They used cheap Home Depot MDF cabinets or just replaced some of the original wood doors with the MDF cabinents and left the original wood cabinents (I still curse myself for not noticing that when we went through the open house--they look a lot nicer from far away). They put in an apartment size dishwasher, and put in low to mid grade vinyl flooring. We have always thought we would replace everything all at once.

Current Dilemma:
our dishwasher is leaking and is causing the vinyl floor to buckle, and therefore we think that is going to eventually rot the floor boards in the kitchen. We had been noticing the floor issue in the last 6 months, but since we usually run the dishwasher at night when we go to bed we didn't notice the leak (and it must have dried out overnight--benefit of living in a warmer climate!).

DH has been out of town all week and we discovered this on Sunday night before he left. We had previously thought the flooring had just been installed hap hazardly (we had reason to believe because we have had to repair other hap hazard things in our house because except for the granite counter tops they used everything else in the house was done on the cheap!), but now with the water leak we are kind of freaking out. I haven't used the DW since DH left.

So, WWYD?

Option A:Would you stop using the dishwasher now and continue to save up money (we have zero equity in our house so a home equity loan is NOT an option:() so everything could be replaced at once. This could take 6 months to a year of really hard savings for us.

or

Option B: Just have the floor replaced now (I would love to replace with actual Linoluem (this IS NOT vinyl!) or Marmoleum) and deal with the other stuff at a later date, but then I am worried about spending more money on flooring and or having to spend more on labor for essentially doing two jobs vs. doing one large job.

I am thinking depending on the floor board issue the max I want to spend on this $20K. Is that even possible? If you are in the LA/LB/Orange County area your input on contractor costs would be greatly appreciated.

We don't need super high end appliances (if budget allows we'd add a wall oven, but all we really need is a new hood or over the range microwave (although our current one works fine so another could be extra, but with the cost of hoods a new OTR microwave isn't that expensive), a full size dishwasher, and a new fridge--although we could just use the old one until it dies, but make the spot large enough to fit 36" wide fridge) and would prefer that we are able to spend more money on a the higher level Ikea or Lowe's cabinents (DH is not impressed with anything at Home Depot for the most part) or potentially have some custom ones made depending on if cabinet makers are still not working as much due to construction being slow, and are able to still haggle out good deals (our interior designer friend has a guy who does good work for a good price). We have a small galley kitchen as well and if in a pinch we could just replace the current cabinets, but want to add a few more as we would lose storage space due to putting in a larger dishwasher.

niccig
12-06-2012, 03:50 PM
We've got similar kitchen and like you I would love to redo the kitchen but have other things going on so not enough money right now. Our layout is really awkward and to fix that will take more money (move location of sink, possibly remove a non-loading bearing wall), so I'm just sucking it up and waiting until we can do it.

I would first investigate what is going on - there may not be much damage to the floor underneath. Find out what the damage is, how much it will cost to fix it and dishwasher.

When you've got those numbers then you can really compare what it will cost to patch up what you have with cost of a complete redo.

Remember that when you start to do things in our era homes, they'll be surprises that will cost more money.

If you do decide to patch, I would still though save hard to get the kitchen done. We haven't been doing that - me going back to school as put hold on that, but now that I'm working enough part-time to pay my tuition, I want to get back on track to saving enough to fix up things that need to be done.

mommylamb
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I think I would replace the dish washer now and start saving for the rest of the kitchen. That way it won't get any worse at least.

egoldber
12-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I would first investigate what is going on - there may not be much damage to the floor underneath. Find out what the damage is, how much it will cost to fix it and dishwasher.

I agree. You need to start here. Have someone come in and figure out why it is leaking (it could simply be clogged or a water line become cracked/unhooked) and how much damage there is to the subfloor.

boolady
12-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I agree. You need to start here. Have someone come in and figure out why it is leaking (it could simply be clogged or a water line become cracked/unhooked) and how much damage there is to the subfloor.

:yeahthat: Ours was leaking because of a bad seal. It took them 5 minutes to put a new one on, and was very inexpensive. I would stop using the dishwasher until someone looks at it, though.

brittone2
12-06-2012, 04:14 PM
:yeahthat: Ours was leaking because of a bad seal. It took them 5 minutes to put a new one on, and was very inexpensive. I would stop using the dishwasher until someone looks at it, though.
:yeahthat: We once had a leak from a drain issue (Dh fixed it), and in my current house had a small leak and we replaced the seal on our own. We bought a new DW not long after that, but start with identifying the cause.

AnnieW625
12-06-2012, 04:15 PM
I think I would replace the dish washer now and start saving for the rest of the kitchen. That way it won't get any worse at least.

If I replace with a full size now we would have to get a portable dishwasher, unless we could find a dwarer unit that is narrower (aren't those narrower than regular dishwashers?). You can't really see it all that well from this photo, but the dishwasher is at the far end of the kitchen view photo on the left side and there are wide dwarers right next to it so a normal sized dishwasher won't fit. The drawers in question are almost as wide as the counter space in the second photo (the dwarers start at about where the coffee maker is and go to the wall).
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6135/6016713512_161698d625_m.jpg http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6150/6016160057_161cd71f95_m.jpg

(these are the only photos of my kitchen I have on my Flickr account; they are about a year old. The walls have at least been painted so no more wall paper--again that was not installed correctly and started falling off the walls:shake:)

AnnieW625
12-06-2012, 04:21 PM

DH thinks it is clogged as well. He can probably fix it. I think the whole sub flooring thing is what is making me nervous.

Who would you call about the floors? A contractor, someone from the flooring store?

marymoo86
12-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I would be concerned about damaging the floor if you chose to replace that now when you decide to upgrade the rest of the kitchen.

niccig
12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
You may not need to replace...get someone out to check it.

I've had a repair guy out 2 times now for my dryer with fingers crossed it's big enough issue to replace (would love a new matching set) and each time it's been simple fix. And I really don't want to replace until we redo the laundry room as what fits now won't work later.

If it is easy fix, I would still start kitchen savings account and do it aggressively. Take my advice, don't put up with crappy kitchen for 8 yrs like I have been doing. It's the bane of my daily life.

You inspired me to tell DH that we're opening separate savings account for the kitchen. Once refi is done (we're going through with it as amount saving is more as DH didn't tell me property taxes is included in lesser mortgage monthly cost and his work just got enough work thru next summer), we'll pay mortgage and auto save extra amount to separate account. I know us, if it's all in one account, it'll get spent on something else.

wolverine2
12-06-2012, 04:53 PM
I agree that I'd find out how bad it is first. But I'll say that we have a portable dishwasher while we're saving up for our kitchen reno, and it really has been not a problem. We got it used on Craig's List for $100 and it works really well.

AnnieW625
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
DH fixed the dishwasher. Apparently it was the Cascade dishwasher tabs weren't completely disolving so they were backing up the trap. Last night went and bought some Finish tabs instead (which is what we were using before, but had bought the other ones as they were on sale at Target vs. Finish that wasn't; now I know just use Finish!). Dishwasher works fine now.

In regards to the floors I called a local flooring store yesterday and he said that they can redo the sub flooring if indeed the subflooring needs to be replaced, but before they will come and look at it we have to go into the store and pick out what kind of flooring we want and such, and then they'll come to my house and give me an estimate. Sounds kind of backwards to me, but I have other options as well (another flooring store, and the guy who stained my front door as he also does floors as well) so I need to call them as well.

As long as the dishwasher doesn't keep flooding I think we are good so that part of me wants to wait and do everything at once, but I think it would be good just to at least get some estimates as well.
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.