PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a set of 4-5 of the same book (for reading groups)?

billysmommy
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Ds1's teacher would like to get some new books for the class. She is looking for a few sets of new reading group books (4-5 of the same book). The ones she is looking for is Dav Pilkey's Dragon Tales set ~ Friend for Dragon, Dragon's Fat Cat, Dragon Gets By. I checked with Scholastic but they only sell these books individually, not as a set.
Are there any other places to get sets of books?

Thanks

jenstring95
12-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Maybe Lakeshore Learning or another teacher supply-type store? Have you checked Amazon? Do you have Half Price Books? They may not be sets, but at least they would be cheaper than retail.

wellyes
12-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Does your public library have a network? Ours is a collection of about 30 small libraries, and I'm sure our librarian would be happy to round up a half dozen of any volume for school use.

lurksalot
12-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I go to the Scholastic Book Warehouse sales and buy literature circle sets from them. They usually have a holiday sale.

http://www.scholastic.com/bookfairs/events/warehouse/

billysmommy
12-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!!

I'm going to check with our library tomorrow.

The Scholastic website still has the best prices on the books as individuals so I'll probably go that route so she'll get some free books for the class too. All the parents chipped in a little more than usual when they found she wanted books for the class holiday present.

cmo
12-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Teachers often have access to additional books (including sets) through Scholastic Book Club. The outer cover of each new pack of book club flyers always has teacher-only materials. If your teacher has an online account, perhaps she would let you sign in under her name and click around? (I handle several teachers' class book orders for them, so I've ordered for them on occasion.)