PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about loveys?

Melaine
12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Does your DC have one? When did you introduce it? Is there a way to get them to attach to a certain one other than just bringing it out at bedtime? (maybe sleeping with it so it smells like me?)

Am I too late to get him to attach to one at 7 months? Any suggestions for specific ones for a 7 month old? My DDs have Gund Comfy Cozy Cows and they love them and have a couple new ones saved for DS but I think he is too little for something so plush and big. We have the A&A issies but he doesn't care for them...not huggable enough.

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Neither of mine had 1 and they didn't miss it. At some point, ds2 started latching onto various items for short term- including a plastic hammer, Wii instruction books and other non cuddly items. :)

mik8
12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I gave this one (see below) to my DD when she was 8 mos.old. Somehow she just got attached to it. Now she's 9 and she still has it and has been with her in our travels to other countries. In fact, it has never left her side at nighttime and when she's feeling under the weather. It's been stitched in several spots (courtesy to our mutt furry family member) and has lost its puffiness over the course of years. It smells (ick!), but it really comforts her. I have an extra one just in case. I honestly do not know what will happen if she loses this one.

http://www.amazon.com/North-American-Bear-Pastel-Pancake/dp/B001569S88

kaharris83
12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
DS1 never attached to anything despite my attempts to attach him to several things.

wendibird22
12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
DS1 never attached to anything despite my attempts to attach him to several things.

:yeahthat:

Neither DD has a lovey. I tried various taggies and snuggle blankets. Each girl kind of rotates through various stuffed friends.

Mamabear4
12-06-2012, 08:34 PM
DS1 attached very quickly to his lovey - I think I started letting him have it in his crib around 5-6 months. DS2 had several in his crib from the start and went through a brief phase where he kept one under each armpit but now he doesn't want anything to do with them. He now sleeps with a golf ball in each hand. Yes, you read that right...

tmahanes
12-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I think i started B about 2 or 3 months. He has to have these to sleep http://hmandbb.com/lamb-wuvee.html he pretty much only wants then when he sleeps and now has to have at least three at a time. I rotated them from the start so i could wash them. He chews on the ears so washing is a must. He has the lambs monkeys puppies and doesn't like the horse. he rubs the ears of the ones he is not chewing on it is pretty amusing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Dr C
12-06-2012, 09:49 PM
We had many lovey "candidates" but both kids picked one and got really attached to it after a year of age. Both have blankets (crib size; DS's is fleece with fringe and DD's is hand-crocheted). I am a HUGE lovey fan--those blankets are such a godsend when the kids are upset, scared, etc.

okinawama
12-06-2012, 10:26 PM
DS1 never developed an attachment to one.

DS2 has one and it acts as an awesome sleep que for him. It stays in his crib for the most part and he snuggles it to sleep :)

lmh2402
12-06-2012, 10:45 PM
DS slept in his carseat for the first many months of his life. to make it more comfortable, i had basically attached one of the angel dear lovies to the back - flat against where his head would go, so his head was always resting on it. and he would turn his face to snuggle into it. as he got older, i guess he was already familiar with the feel, so this just naturally became his lovey. i had bought a whole bunch and rotated them each week so they could be washed. so they are all equally worn and i still wash one each week and give him a new one on sunday.

as DD is also a sleeping-upright baby, i've done the same with her - she rests her head on an angel dear lovey tacked into the RNP. and she totally turns her face into it. if we're out and she's getting fussy, i can usually help her calm just a little bit by taking out one of her blankets and rubbing her face with it.

i can't remember the age at which i allowed DS to have the blanket free & loose. at what age would you allow your DC to sleep with a lovey without worrying? they size is probably about 12"x12"

hillview
12-07-2012, 10:58 AM
both DSs have/had one (DS2 has 2). They didn't attach til after 1 year old. DS1 slept with his til he was 6. DS2 is 5 and is still strongly attached to his taggy blanket.

ArizonaGirl
12-08-2012, 12:27 AM
I tried to get DS to attach to a specific lovey (smallish blanket with a stuffed head in the middle). He was not impressed, however, at about 14 months old we let him have a blanket in his PNP when we were up north and it was cold. He is obsessed with it and he found the extra one that I purchased to rotate with it and it is not quite the same as the first one but now he has to have both, but is still more attached to the first "original" blanket.

HTH

pinay
12-08-2012, 01:50 AM
DD1 was introduced to her lovey after her first birthday, so I don't think you're too late. She's 5 1/2 now and still sleeps with it every night- we accidentally left it in a hotel last year and she was devastated :(. Thankfully the cleaning staff had found it and kindly mailed it back to us.

sntm
12-08-2012, 01:54 AM

Ds1 never had one. DS2, despite attempts to attach to the classic pooh bought for DS1, has so far only shown an interest in a Trump Kids pig (yes, as in Donald). He tries to latch on to piggy's snout

Melaine
01-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Ok, is it crazy to go to BuyBuyBaby and see what the 8 month old wants? LOL. I plan on holding them up and see what he grabs.

wendibird22
01-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Neither of my DDs had/have loveys despite my attempts to get them into Dream Angel animal blankets, small stuffed friends, etc. To this day the 5yo and 3yo both rotate what 5 things are in bed at night. It changes with their mood.

Ms B
01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
The Biscuit attached to his lovey, a bunny from Ikea ("Vandring Hare" per the tag, called "Fiver" in our house), at about nine months. I have no idea why that bunny was "it" as opposed to any of the other blankets, animals, stuffed toys, etc. that were around the house (and we had been trying to get him to attach to something for about 90 days at that point so we had a good assortment); it just was.

We have since gotten two more identical bunnies from Ikea (thanks Mom for mailing them!!). I rotate one of the additional bunnies with the original every couple weeks when they start to smell and put them through the wash to keep them fresh.

The third bunny is our "stunt bunny" who hides just in case something happens to one of the others. And of course we make sure that The Biscuit only can see one of the bunnies at a time so that we avoid what a friend of ours calls "rips in the space time continuum". :ROTFLMAO:

BabyBearsMom
01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
DD1's lovey is a teddy bear. I got her a lovey blanket which she never really attached to, but when she was about 20 months a friend of mine gave her a bear (it is a big sister bear b/c I was pg with DD2) and she just fell in love with it. She sleeps with it every night. So, no, 7 months is not too late. I don't think there is anything you can do to force it.