PDA

View Full Version : Allergy/Skin irritation experts

mariza
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM
can you please help a tired and lazy mama out? DD put some lotion on her hands tonight (MIL left it here - CVS Brand Advanced Skin Therapy) within seconds her hands got raised red bumps and she was in tears because they hurt. I of course gave her some Benadryl and had her wash her hands immediately. In the past she has had reactions to face paint (so I don't allow it anymore) but they were never as instant or as angry looking as today's reaction.
I guess I'm wondering if there is a common ingredient here? I have no idea what is in face paint that could also be in the lotion causing a reaction. Fragrance? Color? Something else? I figured you smart mama's might know some common culprits off the top of your collective head. :signthankspin:

DrSally
12-08-2012, 03:29 AM
Lotion san cause redness and stinging if she already has really chapped hands-- cracked with little tears. Only something like Eucerin cream, aquaphor or vasaline won't sting.

sariana
12-08-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know if there are certain "common" allergens. I am allergic to wheat, which sometimes is used as a source of vitamin E. So I always have to read ingredient lists. But some lotions, such as Vaseline Intensive Care, hurt my skin even without any wheat ingredients. So you just never know.

Can you take the CVS lotion to a party or costume store and compare its ingredients to some face paints?

I also agree with PP that dry, chapped hands can react to any lotion.

mariza
12-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Her skin was dry, but not chapped and I was literally watching the rash spread up to her wrists. We have an appointment with the allergist tomorrow, thanks for responding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candaceb
12-09-2012, 04:13 PM
If you really want to know, ask the allergist about chemical skin patch testing. That is how I found out that I am allergic to methylisothiasalazone, which is an ingredient in the Huggies Natural Care hypoallergenic fragrance free baby wipes that I had been using for almost 2 years. I now check labels on all toiletries looking for it, and it shows up in everything from face cream to shampoo. It's a preservative.

DrSally
12-09-2012, 08:06 PM
If you really want to know, ask the allergist about chemical skin patch testing. That is how I found out that I am allergic to methylisothiasalazone, which is an ingredient in the Huggies Natural Care hypoallergenic fragrance free baby wipes that I had been using for almost 2 years. I now check labels on all toiletries looking for it, and it shows up in everything from face cream to shampoo. It's a preservative.

That's a very commor skin irritant. It's in some makeup too. I try to avoid, eventhough
I'm not allergic.

Green22
12-09-2012, 10:53 PM

Agreed. Really helped my skin issues.

I would suggest finding something that works and does not cause a reaction for dc and sticking with it forever. I find any time I deviate even a little bit we end up with some weird skin issue. Good luck. I know it is hard to watch your lo be uncomfortable like that.

mariza
12-11-2012, 11:57 PM
She thinks its parabens. I did schedule the patch rest for January to be sure because every once in a while she develops these rashes with no cause that we can discern. I'll be busy reading labels for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk