PDA

View Full Version : When a non-problem is a problem...

american_mama
12-07-2012, 02:38 AM
In one week, we had major problems with a washing machine and car. Our 5 year old reliable car failed to start on two separate occasions, including after we bought a brand new battery for it. So, after our second AAA jump in three days, I drove it to the dealer. When they got to it a few days later, it wouldn't start. They tested it every which way... and found nothing. They have no idea what the problem is. Argh!! And then the service manager said he'd check to see if it would start then, after sitting in the parking lot for another 2 days, and it did.

But, who can trust it? The service manager didn't know what to recommend. I'll pick it up tomorrow, cross my fingers it starts, drive it home, and bet a tidy sum that it will fail to start again within the week.

Our washing machine started leaking from underneath when I did a load last week. Not tons, maybe a cup or two, but leaking. So, I stopped using it, fininshed my load at a neighbor's. Yesterday and today, I tried two loads again, no leaks. But come on - something made it leak in the first place. Again, don't know whether to trust it.

You'd think a working piece of machinery is what you want. But when it was preceded by a significant failure and then a sudden reversion to normal, you can't help but feel a problem is lurking, waiting to re-appear at the most inopportune moment.

elizabethkott
12-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Ugh... that is so frustrating and stressful! It's like constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop!

billysmommy
12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Ooops :bag

TwinFoxes
12-07-2012, 08:13 AM
That car situation would bother me a lot. Who wants to worry about being stranded! I would take it to a reliable independent mechanic. My DH insisted on taking my car to the dealership when it started losing power. An arm and a leg later, still having issues. I found a well reviewed mechanic, it was a (relatively) cheap fix, no more problems.

vonfirmath
12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
In one week, we had major problems with a washing machine and car. Our 5 year old reliable car failed to start on two separate occasions, including after we bought a brand new battery for it. So, after our second AAA jump in three days, I drove it to the dealer. When they got to it a few days later, it wouldn't start. They tested it every which way... and found nothing. They have no idea what the problem is. Argh!! And then the service manager said he'd check to see if it would start then, after sitting in the parking lot for another 2 days, and it did.

Is it a Pontiac from the late 1990s/early 2000s with a security system?

We have a Pontiac Grand Am that had this exact problem. it was eventually tracked down to a fault in the security system. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it does not. When it first happened my dad rigged up something to keep the security system turned off. But then we had to get the battery replaced and they took that rigged up stuff out :( The last time it happened, my husband sat and waited with the key in the lock for some length of time then was able to start it.

american_mama
12-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Is it a Pontiac from the late 1990s/early 2000s with a security system?

No, it's a Ford from 2007. But I will keep the security system in mind as a potential culprit if the problem re-occurs. Another potential culprit is a stupid stereo accessory that DH insisted on having installed against my wishes ($70 device+$40 installation). It was in the car for several days, no problem, then stopped working halfway to our Tgiving trip to Atlanta. A few days after that, the car failed to start, much like something was draining the battery, even though nothing was.

Anyway, I suspect some relationship to the stupid stereo accessory, and we had it un-installed ($25). If the problem never re-occurs, I am totally blaming DH's accessory. So far, so good with the car, but we'll see what happens over the next few days.

MamaMolly
12-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Do you have a top loading washing machine? I've had one leak when it was too full and flung water out. Maybe (fingers crossed!!!!!) that was it?

billysmommy
12-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Sorry read it as dishwasher the first time :bag