PDA

View Full Version : S/O..Are you eating rice?

infomama
12-07-2012, 09:02 AM
The other thread got me thinking. Since the arsenic scare are you eating rice? We were never big rice eaters but I recently gave dd2 some since she was sick...got me thinking.

Dream
12-07-2012, 09:16 AM
We're big rice eaters. That's the main meal for us and we eat rice daily. Nothings changed for us.

ellies mom
12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Still rice eaters here. No changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wendibird22
12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Being GF, many meals contain rice, rice flour, etc. Still eating it and I'm not concerned.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Being GF, many meals contain rice, rice flour, etc. Still eating it and I'm not concerned.

:yeahthat:

wellyes
12-07-2012, 09:52 AM
DH is gluten free. He's upped the amount of potatoes vs rice in his diet, but still has rice a few times a week. We are limiting the amount of brown rice. And generally avoiding made in the southern US rice, since from what I understand, it's the arsenic used to treat cotton crops that is the containment.

brittone2
12-07-2012, 09:59 AM
We rarely eat grains, so it doesn't really affect us. We use unsweetened almond milk vs. rice milk. We don't really buy many products sweetened with brown rice syrup.

daisymommy
12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
We are not big rice eaters, but I have always purchased imported rice, after reading years ago about the high levels of arsenic in USA grown rice. Sad but true.

So I buy Basamati and Jasmine rice, usually grown in Thailand.

dhano923
12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
We're Indian, so rice is a staple of our diet. We only buy Thai jasmine and Indian basmati. No US grown rice. No plans to cut back or stop eating rice or rice products.

speo
12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
We are not big rice eaters, but I have always purchased imported rice, after reading years ago about the high levels of arsenic in USA grown rice. Sad but true.

So I buy Basamati and Jasmine rice, usually grown in Thailand.

Have these been shown to have low levels of arsenic?

I voted other. We ate rice 3-4 times per week. We usually eat short grain brown rice or a wild rice/brown rice mix. Both are from Lundberg grown in CA. I am very concerned about the arsenic and for now have cut back to 1 day/week. I am not sure what I will do going forward. I really love the rice. :irked:

kijip
12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
We eat mostly imported rice and I rinse it well. The rice flour and such that we use (since I am mostly GF) is not really a concern for me since we eat it fairly infrequently.

mom3boys
12-07-2012, 12:00 PM
We haven't done anything differently. DH and I don't eat that much rice but actually my DC eat more than we do--their nanny is Trinidadian and cooks a lot of dishes with rice for them.

maestramommy
12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes. we are. I've tried other grains like Quinoa, and Dh is unimpressed:tongue5: We don't eat rice every night, even every other night. But it's on our weekly menu, and Dh brings it to lunch at least 3 times a week.

Myira
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
We still eat brown rice 2-3 times a week, we alternate with quinoa.

AnnieW625
12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes we still eat rice, at least once a week so not that often, but we all like it and it is easy for me to cook and serve with sausage, chicken, or steak. My DD1 loves Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley.

123LuckyMom
12-07-2012, 01:59 PM
We still eat lots of brown rice. I'd like to find rice not grown in the US, but I haven't yet. DS doesn't love rice, so he eats very little. I make sure the baby doesn't get any brown rice in any of her foods.

BabyBearsMom
12-07-2012, 02:41 PM
We still eat rice maybe twice a week. I am not concerned.

newg
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Well I had greatly reduced our rice consumption.......but forgot about the other rice products we use (cereal, snack bars, rice milk). With DD2 being dairy and nut free I'm limited on what "milk" products I can use when cooking.....not a huge fan of the way soy milk can change the flavor of some dishes, so I was using rice milk for cooking and baking.

So, now I'm planning a trip to the grocery to return all the products I have stockpiled in the basement that have rice in them!
I think I will try the jasmine rice pp have mentioned and cooking it like pasta with the extra water.

eagle
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
we eat imported rice almost every day. sometimes its from california. but mostly from japan. i imagine that it might be every so slightly more radioactive than before, but no biggie.

no change at all.

schrocat
12-07-2012, 05:26 PM
I think I need to start buying rice grown in Thailand again. We've been eating US grown rice from Costco but love fragrant Thai rice. Time to make the switch back.

mik8
12-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Yes, we do - the Jasmine rice, about 1-2x/week.

daisymommy
12-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Speo: to answer your question, the arsenic levels are way lower, as in low enough that I don't worry one bit about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZeeBaby
12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't make a lot if rice so we don't eat it regularly. My mom does and when she visits she makes DDs rice. We use jasmine rice from Costco.

speo
12-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Speo: to answer your question, the arsenic levels are way lower, as in low enough that I don't worry one bit about it.

Ok, thanks! More things to research... :wink2:

RedSuedeShoes
12-07-2012, 08:38 PM
See, I've read that California rice and Asian rice are much lower in arsenic, so we should just be avoiding rice from the Southern U.S. Does anyone know if Asian rice is lower than California rice? I'd rather buy relatively local (Lundberg) rice than shipping it around the world.

brgnmom
12-07-2012, 08:53 PM
we eat jasmine/Thai rice, and basmati rice as well since we frequent Indian and Thai restaurants every so often.

speo
12-07-2012, 08:57 PM
See, I've read that California rice and Asian rice are much lower in arsenic, so we should just be avoiding rice from the Southern U.S. Does anyone know if Asian rice is lower than California rice? I'd rather buy relatively local (Lundberg) rice than shipping it around the world.

I usually only buy Lundberg too. But the short grain rice, which one that I buy, was found to have high levels at times. The short grain is also in the wild rice mix from them that I buy. Here is the consumer reports article http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm .

Here is something from their website http://www.lundberg.com/info/Arsenic.aspx . NYT article on Lundberg http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/22/business/smallbusiness/lundberg-family-farms-confronts-reports-of-arsenic-in-its-rice-case-study.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 .

hillview
12-07-2012, 09:02 PM
we eat sushi rice once a week or so. no idea if that is a concern!

brgnmom
12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
we eat sushi rice once a week or so. no idea if that is a concern!

we do too, but maybe once every couple of weeks, and I'm not sure either about the arsenic concern. Maybe the mercury levels in some of the seafood might be more of a concern (?).

edurnemk
12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I'd been avoiding US grown non-organic rice already because of GMO's, so I just stick to imported rice now. We eat it a couple of times a week.

RedSuedeShoes
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Well, thanks, Speo. These are exactly the kinds we eat most often, too. I guess I'll start getting imported jasmine and basmati instead. Bummer. I really like Lundberg and would like to support them. And ironically, after years of protesting brown rice, my kids have decided they like it better! But I can't really knowingly feed my family arsenic, I suppose. I went gluten-free a year ago, so our rice & potato consumption is pretty significant these days. I'm thinking I need to experiment with higher percentages of non-rice flours for things like pancakes and breads, too.