PDA

View Full Version : Sensory Friendly film Sat. Dec 8-Rise of the Guardians

larig
12-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Just a reminder about the monthly sensory-friendly film showing tomorrow at 10 am in certain AMC theaters across the country. (http://www.amctheatres.com/programs/sensory-friendly-films)

It's Rise of the Guardians this month. (rated PG) I read it compared to the league of extraodinary gentlemen, but with Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. as the protectors of the children.

They also posted the schedule for 2013, and it looks great. January is Monsters Inc (2-D), which is great, because I wanted to take DS, but was concerned about the 3D aspect (thought it would freak him out). Here is the schedule through June. (Can't wait for Monsters University!)

January 5, 2013 - MONSTERS, INC 2-D

March 30, 2013 - THE CROODS 2-D

April 13, 2013 - JURASSIC PARK 2-D

June 1, 2013 - EPIC 2-D

June 29, 2013 - MONSTERS UNIVERSITY

July 13, 2013 - DESPICABLE ME 2

TwoBees
12-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I think this is a fantastic idea. Not trying to hijack the post, but I recently discovered that a tiny community movie theater in my area holds monthy family matinees on a Saturday or Sunday morning. All ages are invited, there's an activity included in the ticket price (only $4), and dress-up in costumes is welcome. Although I have not yet gone, I'm assuming they would be "little kid friendly" (eg, talking is ok, etc). So check you local theaters for additonal family-friendly options! :)

elliput
12-07-2012, 11:18 AM
The theater here will be doing their sensory screening for Rise of the Guardians on the 15th. When my DD saw I had marked it on the calendar she started asking tons of questions as she had such a great time at the last one.

larig
12-07-2012, 11:38 AM
The theater here will be doing their sensory screening for Rise of the Guardians on the 15th. When my DD saw I had marked it on the calendar she started asking tons of questions as she had such a great time at the last one.

that's awesome. I should check and make sure that it's still on here. DS went with my parents last month (his first successful movie-viewing experience) and had a ball. He's been talking about it all day today, because I mentioned that Saturday was movie day. I'm so excited to take him.

I think this is a fantastic idea. Not trying to hijack the post, but I recently discovered that a tiny community movie theater in my area holds monthy family matinees on a Saturday or Sunday morning. All ages are invited, there's an activity included in the ticket price (only $4), and dress-up in costumes is welcome. Although I have not yet gone, I'm assuming they would be "little kid friendly" (eg, talking is ok, etc). So check you local theaters for additonal family-friendly options!

How fun is that!! Dressing up is great fun too!

Gena
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
They also posted the schedule for 2013, and it looks great. January is Monsters Inc (2-D), which is great, because I wanted to take DS, but was concerned about the 3D aspect (thought it would freak him out).

I know what you mean about being concerned about freaking out over the 3D effects, so I wanted to share with you my recent positive experience taking DS to his first 3D movie.

As you might remember, DS (age 8) has autism and some complex vision issues (mild visual impairment). He's only been to a the movies a few times and although he seems to enjoy it, he's not overly enthused by it.

DH and I have talked about taking DS to a 3D movie, but we didn't know how he would react. One of the big questions about DS's vision has been whether or not he can even see in 3D, since his eyes don't work together well and he has difficulties with depth perception. Another concern was if he does see 3D, would the effects freak him out? Other questions were about whether he would even wear the 3D glasses and would they interfere with his regular glasses?

Over Thanksgiving, DS and I were in MI visiting my parents. A local museum was showing The Polar Express in IMAX 3D. DS loves The Polar Express and watches the DVD all the time. Also, despite his ambivalence to regular movies, DS really enjoys IMAX films (go figure). So I decided to take a chance on it and my Dad and I took him to see the Polar Express in IMAX 3D.

DS did great with the 3D glasses. He put them on right away and they fit well over his regular glasses. When the short intro piece started (a "welcome to the theater" type of short), it was in 3D and DS was terrified. He death gripped my arm and told me, "I don't like this!" I reassured him that it was OK, that nothing could touch him, and that The Polar Express would start soon. When The Polar Express started, DS calmed down immediately and he LOVED seeing it in 3D. He was amazed at the effects and had a wonderful time.

So we had great success with DS's first 3D movie. I think it was HUGELY important that it was a movie DS knows and loves. He was happy to be seeing the movie on a (very) big screen. And none of the 3D effects really startled him too much because he always knew what was coming next. His favorite parts of the movie were much more exciting because of the 3D effects. He still talks about it. (And I was absolutely giddy to discover that DS sees in 3D and has at least some depth perception. I can't even describe it.)

Anyway - I just wanted to give some encouragement that although your DS may not be ready for 3D movies now, in a few years he may find the experience really enjoyable. And if the right opportunity presents itself in the future, consider trying it.

larig
12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I know what you mean about being concerned about freaking out over the 3D effects, so I wanted to share with you my recent positive experience taking DS to his first 3D movie.

As you might remember, DS (age 8) has autism and some complex vision issues (mild visual impairment). He's only been to a the movies a few times and although he seems to enjoy it, he's not overly enthused by it.

DH and I have talked about taking DS to a 3D movie, but we didn't know how he would react. One of the big questions about DS's vision has been whether or not he can even see in 3D, since his eyes don't work together well and he has difficulties with depth perception. Another concern was if he does see 3D, would the effects freak him out? Other questions were about whether he would even wear the 3D glasses and would they interfere with his regular glasses?

Over Thanksgiving, DS and I were in MI visiting my parents. A local museum was showing The Polar Express in IMAX 3D. DS loves The Polar Express and watches the DVD all the time. Also, despite his ambivalence to regular movies, DS really enjoys IMAX films (go figure). So I decided to take a chance on it and my Dad and I took him to see the Polar Express in IMAX 3D.

DS did great with the 3D glasses. He put them on right away and they fit well over his regular glasses. When the short intro piece started (a "welcome to the theater" type of short), it was in 3D and DS was terrified. He death gripped my arm and told me, "I don't like this!" I reassured him that it was OK, that nothing could touch him, and that The Polar Express would start soon. When The Polar Express started, DS calmed down immediately and he LOVED seeing it in 3D. He was amazed at the effects and had a wonderful time.

So we had great success with DS's first 3D movie. I think it was HUGELY important that it was a movie DS knows and loves. He was happy to be seeing the movie on a (very) big screen. And none of the 3D effects really startled him too much because he always knew what was coming next. His favorite parts of the movie were much more exciting because of the 3D effects. He still talks about it. (And I was absolutely giddy to discover that DS sees in 3D and has at least some depth perception. I can't even describe it.)

Anyway - I just wanted to give some encouragement that although your DS may not be ready for 3D movies now, in a few years he may find the experience really enjoyable. And if the right opportunity presents itself in the future, consider trying it.

Thanks so much for sharing!! What a good point about it being a movie that your DC would know! DS certainly knows monsters inc. How wonderful that your DS enjoyed the Polar Express--sounds like a fun family experience. I'm really looking forward to seeing my first all-the-way through movie with DS tomorrow.

Jrwusch
12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
What a great idea!

Can families/kids without autism attend as well?