PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a migraine? **Update #8**

randomkid
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
So, in the BP, I posted a little while ago about DH being sick again. He's been sleeping all morning and just got out of bed for about 2 minutes. He is complaining of a throbbing headache on the left side of his head only. He says the light seems to make it a little worse. I don't know if it came on suddenly because he woke up with it this morning. He did not drink last night so it's not a hangover. As far as I know, he's never had a migraine before. I just need to know if I should take him to the ER because I work in Neuro Critical Care as a PT and see young patients all the time who've had aneurysms. I don't see any neuro signs, but in some patients the only symptom they have is headache and nothing else, although they usually describe it as the "worst headache ever". DH isn't saying that, but he looks miserable and describes it as throbbing.

hillview
12-08-2012, 01:33 PM
could be a migraine. Without a history of migraine if it is a horrible headache I'd call the doctor. I have a history of migraine so for me I'd not call but with no history I am in the better safe than sorry camp

Sopamanda
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd play it safe. Been through family member with aneurysm. Not fun.

And it'll give you peace of mind.

Melbel
12-08-2012, 02:29 PM
A one sided headache with light sensitivity is consistent with migraine, but it would safer to rule out other causes if it does not resolve soon. High dose riboflavin (vitamin B-2, water soluble) and magnesium have helped with migraines here.

wellyes
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
It sounds like a migraine to me. Give him aspirin, advil or tylenol. Call and ask the doctor, but, don't panic.

AshleyAnn
12-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a migraine, I find an ice pack helps considerably

mommyoftwo
12-08-2012, 02:48 PM
It's definitely consistent with a migraine but it doesn't hurt to check in with your doctor about it. It's not unheard of to develop migraines as an adult although it's uncommon.

randomkid
12-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Thank you! That's what it sounded like to me as well, but DH has never had migraines (and neither have I) so it was worrisome. I went in a bit ago and woke him up to be sure he is OK. Headache is better, but still light sensitive and now just not feeling well in general. I gave him ibuprofen and made him eat something which also seemed to help. Of course, I could only get him to eat one piece of toast, but at least it's something. I'm feeling better now that his head isn't pounding like it was. Generally, if it's something more critical, headache and light sensitivity would likely get worse (or stay the same) along with possible other symptoms.