PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Minecraft...

hbridge
12-08-2012, 03:34 PM
My Anti-Electronics DC just talked about how the kids at school are discussing Minecraft and "maybe" would be interested in trying it.

We are desperately trying to get DC to accept computers, cell phones, ect. so I am more than willing to try Minecraft, but know nothing about it.

Is it a computer game? What do we need to get her started :) ?

SnuggleBuggles
12-08-2012, 03:51 PM
We let 10yo ds buy it this fall. He has had a lot of fun. Sometimes he plays solo and mostly just builds and collects stuff. Other times he plays on a server that is just his friends and they work collaboratively to build towns. Sometimes the friends are not so nice and destroy or sabotage other players- always good to know what to expect before joining a group if you aren't ok with that. Anyway, I don't really play or pay much attention. All the boys I know love it though!

From my 10yo:
minecraft is a mostly 1 player game but in a very complacated way muli player. In it, you go around a world made out of breakable collectable blocks that you try to collect like diamonds or wood. then you try to build a house or safe structure to defend against the night dwelling zombies.

hbridge
12-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Okay, the night dwelling zombies would be a problem...

SnuggleBuggles
12-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Nah, not so much. They aren't scary, just a nuisance. The graphics are like old school pixels and no gore. My ds1 is wussy and not at all scared. No violence either. They "attack" but its not like you are probably imagining.

trentsmom
12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
There are lots and lots of Minecraft videos on Youtube if you want to see what the game looks like. DS1 loves it, and even DH plays. To me, it's like legos on a computer, but you can build even cooler things - like take a stick and some fire and it makes a torch.

baileygirl
12-08-2012, 10:40 PM
You can also play it in "creative mode" and there are no zombies...or at least I don't think so. My 3 and 6 year-olds play it.

acmom
12-09-2012, 04:13 PM
How can you purchase it to give as a gift? I am thinking it might be a good idea for my nephew who loves to build and play games.

SnuggleBuggles
12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I think they have gift cards. Look at Target near the computer games. Usually on an end cap they have gift cards for different computer games.

acmom
12-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks sp much! I'll look at Target.

annex
12-09-2012, 11:21 PM
My DD (9 yo) wanted to play, so we tried to run it on our MacBook - no go, couldn't get it to work. Something about having a too recent version of Java, I think? Tried it on my old Windows XP laptop, didn't work there either (graphics card was supposedly wrong somehow.) So it might be very frustrating unless you are very tech-y (we are generally pretty good with such things.) She did play the "pocket" version on our iPad for a few days, but grew bored of it pretty fast.

pakin
12-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Here is a picture of Minecraft gift card: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mojang-Minecraft-26.95-Game-Card/21881932 It's a one-time pay, not monthly.

I bought a gift card for DS at Best Buy.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

LBW
12-10-2012, 08:50 AM
You can play the full version on a computer, iPad, or Xbox. I think the computer version works best on PCs. I have a Macbook and it'll work, but it's slow and crashes the computer. (So, I've deleted it.)

Of all the paid versions, the computer version has the most features. The Xbox version comes next. The iPad version (Pocket Edition) has the fewest features.

There's also a free Pocket Edition for the iPad/iPhone with basic features, but it keeps the kids entertained. That's what my boys started with, and it's still what they use most of the time.

Their big Christmas gift this year is an Xbox -- mainly so that they can play Minecraft. My oldest DS's friends all play, too, and through Xbox Live they can apparently play "together" via their Xboxes. Right now they have playdates and play together on a mix of iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touches.

gamma
12-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I am so confused about this game. Our only options for play are a windows based laptop or iPod touch. Can you play it on an iPod touch? If you purchase one play card to use on the laptop, can all family members play or does each person need a card? Also, when I search online at amazon, target, gamestop, I'm not finding the cards. I refuse to do Walmart after my recent ship to store pick up nightmare!

egoldber
12-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Older DD is getting the PC version for Hanukkah tonight. I plan to just write out a homemade card and with a printed picture of the Minecraft logo in it. And then I will just buy it for her on-line.

JElaineB
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I am so confused about this game. Our only options for play are a windows based laptop or iPod touch. Can you play it on an iPod touch? If you purchase one play card to use on the laptop, can all family members play or does each person need a card? Also, when I search online at amazon, target, gamestop, I'm not finding the cards. I refuse to do Walmart after my recent ship to store pick up nightmare!

You should be able to use a Windows laptop to play, as long as you can connect to the internet at least occassionally (for single-player mode). The iPod touch version is not the same as the full version. Multiple people can play on a single login, but not at the same time. Each person could create their own "worlds" though, so it would be fine to play those separately at different times. I saw the cards at Target, or you can just create and account directly on the Minecraft website https://minecraft.net/store.

ray7694
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
My son is obsessed with the game along with all his friends. He plays it on his Ipod touch. I got him the computer version and it freezes up a lot. He plays it on a Windows laptop that is pretty new so not sure what the issue is with that. He has never had any issues playing on his ipod.

JElaineB
12-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Here are the Minecraft system requirements:

http://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/325948-what-are-the-system-requirements-

DS plays on my 5-6 year old Windows Vista PC with no issues. He doesn't play mutliplayer though.