PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to rent a hospital grade pump?

MSWR0319
12-08-2012, 09:12 PM
DS2 self weaned last weekend ( he's only 7 months). No matter what I do he refuses to nurse. I know it's from him biting me consistently for three days and that his teeth must be bothering him because he took a big bite out of my shoulder today that actually left a mark on my shoulder. Anyway, I've been pumping exclusively since last Sunday. I've got a Medela Freestyle but it's getting old. I used it with DS1 who is now 4. I don't think it's pumping enough when I have two flanges hooked up to it. I had a really bad clogged duct today that I think was on the way to mastitis based on how I felt and it felt. It seems to work ok when I only pump one side at a time, but I don't have the time to do that. Since I'm pumping so much now, should I rent one for a few months or just try to make this one work. Maybe pump each side once a day individually and then the rest of the day I can do both sides at a time? I'm just trying to keep my supply up so I don't have to supplement, but I don't know if I can do it for 5 more months.

acmom
12-08-2012, 09:20 PM
It might be worth it...I exclusively pumped for both kids after neither could latch (combo of early, little babies and my nipple issues). I rented a hospital grade pump by the month. I couldn't have done it without it, especially if I had to pump only one side at a time bc it would have taken too much time. I also had a lot of issues with clogged ducts and a few rounds of mastitis and I would do whatever it takes to clear that up ASAP! Even if you only rent it for a month to get you through this patch, I would think it might be helpful.

Good luck!

♥ms.pacman♥
12-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I would give it a shot. With DD I had to essentially pump exclusively for the first month or so. I first started using the hospital-grade (Symphony) pumps they had in the hospital..then after I went home I noticed I couldn't get much out when I used my Pump In Style. At first I thought my supply was just dropping but then I noticed I would always get a ton out when I visited DD in the NICU (i had app where I religiously logged how much I pumped at each session, from each side). I decided to rent a hospital-grade pump for a couple weeks, and it really made a difference. I ended up keeping it for 4-6 weeks, until DD was completely able to nurse on her own.

Also, IMO it wasn't that expensive. It was something like $35, for 2 weeks..It wasn't like hundreds of dollars or anything. It was definitely worth it to save the extra time and effort. I never had mastitis (clogged ducts only, that was miserable enough) and if it prevents that, i think it is definitely worth it!!!

eta: i too had a pump in style that was not new (i bought it for DS), and i think that also was part of it. while i didn't use it much with DS (i was a SAHM, so i only used it a couple times a week) i could definitely notice that by the time DD came around the motor wasn't as powerful (or at least it felt like that). now that i think of it, i had the same exact problem as you when i tried to use it with DD...it couldn't get enough out with both hooked up, and i often just gave up and did one at a time.

Simon
12-09-2012, 08:52 AM
If you plan to EP then it might be worth it. I actually EP'd with a manual pump (Avent Isis) because I got more milk that way then with my double electric (Medela). It was just all about how my body responded to the pump, kwim?

That said, I have been using the double electric again this time and if Ds3 went on a nursing strike like you describe, I'd probably head out to rent a hospital grade pump unless I wanted to plan on supplementing with formula.

I always just pump one side at a time and do breast compressions to really empty the breast. It takes longer but for me has emptied the milk better.

Last thought, there is a baby store around here where you can check the suction of your pump to see if its at the correct level. And, have you changed the valve or seal lately? Those an affect suction/pumping power.

In the past, when I was suddenly getting less milk from pumping, I had mine checked and replaced the valves but it was just changes in my milk production or response to the pump.

Pilotbaby
12-09-2012, 09:21 AM
I have heard from lots of people that their babies stopped nursing briefly for some reason or another but later started again. If you don't really want to wean, I would suggest trying again every couple of days. Good luck!

MSWR0319
12-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the advice!! I finally got the duct unclogged last night and got 5 oz out of that side afterwards!! I'd only been getting three except the middle of the night pump and morning pump, so at least i"m back to working! I'm trying to get him to nurse still by offering, but he has no interest. I don't think he will, but I'll keep trying. I'll try to find somewhere that I can rent a pump, as i think that'll help too.

Nooknookmom
12-24-2012, 03:30 PM
I had to - for various reasons, the hosp grade was the only thing that helped us. We made to four years, don't give up!

georgiegirl
12-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Have you tried to nurse him when he's half asleep?

I used a symphony for a week and loved it.

sntm
12-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Be sure to check kellymom.com fr nursing strike advice