PDA

View Full Version : What would you wear to a holiday brunch at a friend's house?

ourbabygirl
12-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Nothing is jumping out of my closet exciting me right now. :loveeyes: I was thinking maybe my black skinny pants, but not sure what on top. I don't really having anything trendy or cute, just basic SAHM stuff.

What would you wear from your own closet?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

SnuggleBuggles
12-09-2012, 12:02 AM
From my closet, I'd wear either:
LE cowl dress, cardigan, tights, boots
A different casual dress (I have a few)
Corduoroy skirt, long sleeved t, tights, boots
Straight jeans, long sleeved t and boots or booties or flats, depending on weather

Twoboos
12-09-2012, 12:09 AM
From my closet, I'd wear either:
LE cowl dress, cardigan, tights, boots
A different casual dress (I have a few)

I was going to say the LE cowl as well, or the Boden Stitch Detail dress (which I am totally loving right now!).

wellyes
12-09-2012, 12:14 AM
A red sweater.

crl
12-09-2012, 01:29 AM
If I really wanted to dress up, my green LE cowl neck dress with black tights and boots and belt. If I wanted to dress up a little, jeans, cream silk tunic and red ruffled sweater coat. If I wanted to be casual, olive green cords with plain cream sweater.

Catherine

DrSally
12-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Sweater dress, boots and tights. Nicenjeans/ cords and cashmere sweater. Cord skirt, sweater and tights

ourbabygirl
12-10-2012, 12:17 AM
I wasn't going to wear a dress because I'm not crazy about my legs, even with tights, and it's pretty cold here (in the 20's lately). Plus I don't want to look overdressed, as there will just be 6 of us, and I would probably be the only one in a dress or skirt. But I do have the famous LE cowl neck dress, in black. Not sure how to make it more 'fun' and less 'funeral' ;) since everything I have to go with it is black (boots, tights, sweater).

What do you ladies wear it with in cold weather? I have some shrug-type sweaters from ON, but the rolled sleeves of the dress show through the sweaters too much... do you have other recommendations for something long-sleeved to go with it?

Also, what color/ style tights would you wear with it? I only have plain black and brown, but I almost bought a plum pair at TJMaxx a while back- I don't have many occasions to dress up, other than church, and I was worried it would be too much of an impulse buy.
And do you still wear the dress with tights and tall boots if you're going somewhere that you'll have to remove the boots (like inside a friend's house)?

Also, a belt? I'm about 5'2" and hourglass-pear shaped, so I feel like I need some definition at the waist.

Sorry, totally don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, just wondering how people have been accessorizing their dresses. :)
Thanks!

Twoboos
12-10-2012, 09:01 AM
I would look for a long-sleeve t to wear underneath. You could do stripes or plain. (I've done both.) Red would be a fun pop of color! I think a scoop neck t works better with the cowl, although again I've done crew neck, too.

As far as tights, maybe some heavier sweater type tights. Hue has tons of fun ones, and they are usually avaiiable at TJMaxx/Marshalls, or I have also seen tons of them them at DSW for around $17. Even if it's in the 20's you're just going into the house so you should be OK.

IMO if you do a patterned shirt don't do patterned tights. ;)

TwinFoxes
12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I've worn the black LE cowl neck dress with purple or burgundy tights. Looks cute. Also, dangly earrings help if you're feeling it's too funereal. I think that dress is fairly casual, I wouldn't worry about looking overdressed. But I don't think dress automatically equals "dressed up".

I agree a thin long sleeve tee works well under the dress. Also, unless you're walking too the function, I wouldn't worry about it being 20 degrees. I wear a long coat and dash into the house. :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I've worn the black LE cowl neck dress with purple or burgundy tights. Looks cute. Also, dangly earrings help if you're feeling it's too funereal. I think that dress is fairly casual, I wouldn't worry about looking overdressed. But I don't think dress automatically equals "dressed up".

I agree a thin long sleeve tee works well under the dress. Also, unless you're walking too the function, I wouldn't worry about it being 20 degrees. I wear a long coat and dash into the house. :)

:yeahthat: I don't think dress= dressed up. I think they can be totally casual.

I wear plum tights with one of my black dresses too. I would wear boots even if I knew I'd have to take them off.

Eta- belts; look at H&m if you don't own one. I don't wear a belt with my cowl dress even though slightly pear. Just not my style.

ilfaith
12-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I

And do you still wear the dress with tights and tall boots if you're going somewhere that you'll have to remove the boots (like inside a friend's house)?

I wondered whether this question would resurrect the great "shoes in the house" debate from a couple of years ago.