PDA

View Full Version : Angel Tree: 10 mo. old boy asking for "inexpensive stroller;" UPDATE in OP

ha98ed14
12-09-2012, 12:20 PM
UPDATE: So I hit Target and BRU and got a few small things. My killer deal was a Graco LiteRider for $47. It was on sale at Target, plus I had a 20% off coupon. It was $70 at BRU and I almost bought it. So glad I cross checked. It was also $67.xx at Amazon. So then I called the number of the woman playing "Santa" to the kids to find out where to drop it off. It turns out she is the social worker for this family, which is a coincidence since she is doing all the kids her agency covers and there are 14 social workers. She tells me that the reason she put "inexpensive" is because she didn't want someone not to take the ticket because of how expensive strollers can be. So she was hoping for a $20 from Target/WM/BRU. I feel like a got a great deal and hopefully this is a cut above the $20 umbrella stroller and will last awhile. It gets great reviews on Amazon, so I will take that as a good sign. She said the mom would be thrilled it had a tray and a canopy. (How's that for humbling?) She said the mom is a victim of human trafficking and this baby was born from that. I know she shouldn't have told me that, but she was really overcome with my "generosity" that it was more than a $20 POS. (Which I think sounds crazy since DD is getting Magnatiles and a camera for Christmas.) The thing that left my ears ringing was that this was in my town. Anaheim wouldn't have surprised me that much, but here? Wow. So I'm glad I was able to get something that I could afford and that the "mom will be thrilled with." (Social workers words...)

We went to the Christmas Bizarre at DD's school yesterday. The school does not do Angel Trees, but one of the vendors there had one of the "leftover" kids from her church. They were all teens and infants. The "stuff" is due tomorrow. I took the 10 mo. old boy ticket. The way they do it is ask for one big ticket item, in this case an "inexpensive stroller." Whatever else you get is up to you. So here is what I need:

* An "inexpensive stroller" that can be bought at Walmart or BRU
* Ideas for any other things appropriate for a 10 mo. old boy

These kids are all either in foster care/group homes or have been assigned a social worker. They all live in my town. Not that it matters, but just some background.

waitingforgrace
12-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Not sure what you're looking to spend but here's the options at BRU
http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?ab=BRU_Header:Utility3:Strollers:Lightwe ight-Strollers:Home-Page&view=all&categoryId=2256203&s=A-StorePrice-TRUS&pg=1

I was thinking maybe the lamaze stroller in brown

Here are some options at Walmart, I'd probably get the first years jet stroller
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&indexId=13b7e72ea20c&searchdropdowndiv=com.wm.module.305715.constraint&Find=Find&search_constraint=0&search_query=Stroller&cdnHost=search-cdn.walmart.com&facet=price%3A%2420+-+%2450&_refineresult=true&cat_id=0

Hope that helps

crl
12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I am not sure on the stroller. Is the City Mini too much? It's not inexpensive by my standards, but it would be versatile--assuming this will be the only stroller they have.

Other things for a ten month old: Sippy cup, soft balls (like Gertie), fleece jacket, socks, Sophie the giraffe, board books

Catherine

ha98ed14
12-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah, Citi Mini is more than I can spend. I was thinking around $50. The woman even said the $20 one in the bin at BRU was fine! I was wondering if there was a Graco one that would hold up better than the $20 bin ones? It's been a while since I bought a stroller. I picked the 10 mo. old boy because I knew I could come here for advice on what to buy. I have a school aged DD; my baby days are past...

ha98ed14
12-09-2012, 01:10 PM
ETA: Catherine, Thank you for that feedback! I will get that stuff!

SnuggleBuggles
12-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I'd really skip the $20 ones. They are straight up miserable. You kick the back wheels all the time, trip over every little crack in the sidewalk and the baby slumps. Just not ideal. I don't know strollers any more, I just know the cheap ones stink.

AngB
12-09-2012, 02:08 PM
My friend likes her Chicco brand umbrella stroller, those are under a hundred at BRU, I think...

crl
12-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Would used be okay? Can you take a quick look at CL? Maybe you would get lucky and find something listed today. A volo might go for that used and would be better than the really cheap strollers. And I think a volo would be okay for a ten month old (no recline so not okay for newborns).

Catherine

candaceb
12-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I went on Amazon and searched for strollers that are between $25-$50. This First Years Jet looks like it could be a good buy:
http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Stroller-City/dp/B002WB2G9I/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1355080191&sr=1-1

AnnieW625
12-09-2012, 03:57 PM
I would buy a new Chicco umbrella stroller from BRUS so they have a gift receipt in case they have any issues with it.

rin
12-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I would not do used. Many people, and IME particularly kids in foster care, are super sensitive to feeling like they're being given leftovers/other people's trash. Even though a 10-month-old isn't really going to know the difference, his family/foster family will. Yeah, you can get more for your money for used strollers/etc (and we've bought all our strollers used) but I think you really have to know someone before you give them something used as a gift.

crl
12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
I would not do used. Many people, and IME particularly kids in foster care, are super sensitive to feeling like they're being given leftovers/other people's trash. Even though a 10-month-old isn't really going to know the difference, his family/foster family will. Yeah, you can get more for your money for used strollers/etc (and we've bought all our strollers used) but I think you really have to know someone before you give them something used as a gift.

Excellent point. I guess I just thought a used volo would be a lot better quality than a new BRU plastic stroller.

Catherine

ha98ed14
12-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Update in OP.

redhookmom
12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
What a great update. Seems like you got that feeling that we all go after this time of year.

Molly

niccig
12-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Why such a great deal. It's so nice you can help out.

I want to do this with DS...is it too late to choose someone - where would I find a tree?

brittone2
12-09-2012, 09:15 PM
What a nice thing you are doing, and how wonderful that you were able to score something really nice for a good price! :bighand:

Multimama
12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Yay! I did a little googling for this thread, but didn't get a chance to post and I was going to suggest aiming for a deal on the Literider. I think that's a great choice for your budget. Way to go spreading the holiday cheer and using your BBB bargain shopping skills at the same time. :)

crl
12-09-2012, 09:25 PM
That is absolutely wonderful! :love-retry:

Catherine

TwinFoxes
12-09-2012, 09:35 PM
What a great update. Seems like you got that feeling that we all go after this time of year.

Molly

:yeahthat: Awesome update. :)

Melaine
12-09-2012, 09:43 PM
yay! Love the end to the story!

Momit
12-09-2012, 09:50 PM
What a nice update!

Tenasparkl
12-09-2012, 10:04 PM
What a nice update!

I agree! I loved reading the update. Great job!

SASM
12-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Wow...what a fantastic deal! Quite humbling to say the least...it truly is shocking to think what is in our backyards. :(

IMO...This is what the holiday season is all about...sharing our wealth and "doing good". I fear that my kids lose sight of what really matters. HUGE holiday hugs...

DrSally
12-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Great update, love it!

MMMommy
12-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Glad you got a quality stroller at a good price. The recipient will be so touched and blessed by your generosity and good will. What a nice thing to do!