PDA

View Full Version : Gah!!! Gift ideas for the couple who has everything?

rin
12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
My BIL & his wife are IMPOSSIBLE to shop for. They are very well off and always have the latest & greatest of everything. We're completely at a loss for what to get them this year!!

He's super into technology/computing and always has whatever techie stuff he wants. She loves cooking/baking/quilting, but always has the nicest of everything, including cool new bakeware, kitchen stuff, etc. I don't know anything about quilting, and I can't imagine I would be able to find/get her anything that she wants and doesn't already have.

She has multiple food and environmental allergies, so they can't have anything scented, pretty much no prepared foods, no alcohol, only certain kinds of fibers for clothing/fabric/etc. She does not wear jewelry.

They have very specific, sort of minimalist taste in decorating. They tend to like stark, modern, "clean" lines. They also like collecting pretty expensive things, like $$$$ Indian pottery and art. We found a company whose serving dishes they liked, but we've gotten them a fancy dish from this company for the past two Christmases and DH feels like he doesn't want to get stuck in a rut with that, plus they don't really need more fancy serving dishes.

They don't have the same tastes in music, so wouldn't enjoy concert tickets. They don't like plays/dance performances. They are not into museums. Their kids are all teenagers/20-somethings (we're getting all the kids iTunes gift cards) so they're not into kid-oriented stuff like zoo passes, etc.

Our budget is $100ish. Can anyone think of *anything* we could get them????? Any ideas are very, very welcome!!

SnuggleBuggles
12-09-2012, 04:59 PM
I'd go with a hotel, bed and breakfast, movie or restaurant gift card. Or, just don't worry and get a few of your favorite movies, a collection of interesting popcorns and/ or seasonings (Crate and Barrel, Penzey's, Williams Sonoma, Trader Joe's...).

niccig
12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
My mom is a foodie and loves to cook. She loved the Penzey's spices gift box.
She also quilts and I buy giftcards to local quilt store.

candaceb
12-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Is she allergic to things like spices and herbs? If not, what about a big penzeys gift box?

candaceb
12-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Niccig and I think alike!

wellyes
12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
A toy from thinkgeek for him.

redhookmom
12-09-2012, 05:35 PM
If they have everything, well then the have everything!

How about a gift card from kiva.org?

Molly

anonomom
12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
How about this?

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/spice-microgreens-grow-box/s365971

I bought one for DH's aunt and uncle, and I think it looks really nice.

crl
12-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Donate to their favorite charity in their name?

Catherine

wallawala
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
So so hard trying to buy for those who already buy everything the want for themselves. Best gift I can think of is to introduce them to something/someplace new, it may just become thier new "go to gift".

So love the idea of a gift card. They get something they like, but you can pick the place and maybe "give them" something new that way.

Penzy's giftcards are awesome.
Zingerman's Deli giftcards are the ultimate foodie gift (lots of chefs reference them a source).
UncommonGoods has fun quirky, cool stuff that might be up their alley if they got to pick.
Sur La Table
Williams Sonoma

You are a great gift giver to be trying so hard to find the perfect present!! There should be some sort of cosmic karma points around the holidays for effort.

mik8
12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Cooking classes!

rin
12-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I like the spices idea; I think I'll go check out their gift boxes. Other people who cook, would you like to get a gift set of spices, or would it just seem like extra "clutter" in your kitchen, like if there were some spices you couldn't/wouldn't use? I don't know if she's allergic to any spices, but it wouldn't surprise me (she's allergic to, among other things, coffee, lentils, dairy, pollen, dust, alcohol, peaches, bananas, peppers, all perfumes, etc) so I worry a bit that she *might* be allergic to some spice or another.

Otherwise, the gift card idea probably does make the most sense. Thanks so much for that list; it's perfect! I usually hate doing gift cards (somehow it feels like a defeat, like I'm admitting that I don't know the person well enough to get them anything) but I know that's my own hangup and in this case it might be best.

Thanks again, all!

curiousgeorge
12-09-2012, 11:19 PM
My BIL & his wife are IMPOSSIBLE to shop for. They are very well off and always have the latest & greatest of everything. We're completely at a loss for what to get them this year!!

He's super into technology/computing and always has whatever techie stuff he wants. She loves cooking/baking/quilting, but always has the nicest of everything, including cool new bakeware, kitchen stuff, etc. I don't know anything about quilting, and I can't imagine I would be able to find/get her anything that she wants and doesn't already have.

She has multiple food and environmental allergies, so they can't have anything scented, pretty much no prepared foods, no alcohol, only certain kinds of fibers for clothing/fabric/etc. She does not wear jewelry.

They have very specific, sort of minimalist taste in decorating. They tend to like stark, modern, "clean" lines. They also like collecting pretty expensive things, like $$$$ Indian pottery and art. We found a company whose serving dishes they liked, but we've gotten them a fancy dish from this company for the past two Christmases and DH feels like he doesn't want to get stuck in a rut with that, plus they don't really need more fancy serving dishes.

They don't have the same tastes in music, so wouldn't enjoy concert tickets. They don't like plays/dance performances. They are not into museums. Their kids are all teenagers/20-somethings (we're getting all the kids iTunes gift cards) so they're not into kid-oriented stuff like zoo passes, etc.

Our budget is $100ish. Can anyone think of *anything* we could get them????? Any ideas are very, very welcome!!

OH MY GOSH. I could have written almost this exact post. My BIL is a very tech-savvy guy, his wife is totally into baking. They are well-off, have a modern and minimilistic style and no kids. I am at a loss and came here tonight to look for ideas so I'll be watching this thread.

One thing I know my SIL loves for baking is the Emile Henry mini-pie dishes:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/8591224/?catalogId=6&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Bakeware&cm_pla=Pie_Dishes_&_Tart_Pans&cm_ite=Emile_Henry_Artisan_Mini_Ruffled_Pie_Dish%2 C_Caramel_%7C_Williams-Sonoma&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=31-59542687-2

She makes mini-pies in them but also pot pies, etc. They are adorable and the perfect size for her to make them a pie for two. She has found them at TJ Maxx and places like that before for much less than WS cost and told me if I ever see them there to buy them and she will pay me for them (she can afford nice things but loves a good bargain :-)). Maybe a couple of those and a "cooking for two" cookbook from the America's Test Kitchen?

speo
12-09-2012, 11:21 PM
From Penzeys I would look into buying their good quality cinnamon or other extra good quality items. I might not use just a set of spices. It depends.

Since she quilts you could get her a gift card to a fabric store. Hawthorne Threads (http://www.hawthornethreads.com/ ) sells nice quilting fabric.