PDA

View Full Version : Need wow gift from grandma for 5-yr old (I want to veto her idea)

wolverine2
12-09-2012, 04:51 PM
DS2's birthday is next week, and MIL (who lives overseas and feels guilty) wants me to get him a "wow" gift- she's giving us around $100 but doesn't mind spending a bit more. DS2 perceives that DS1 gets all the good stuff, and what he thinks he wants he's generally not old enough for (big star wars lego sets, etc).

MIL saw a robotic R2D2 on ebay and wanted to get that. I don't think DS2 is old enough, and the boys would fight over it and then break it.

If I can give her another suggestion, she'll allow me to get it. I can't think of anything that will feel "big" though. If he needed a bike, that would be great, but he's got a hand-me-down already. He's got a scooter. He's got tons of toys. What could I suggest that would feel cool to a 5 y.o. with an older brother who has "cooler" stuff?

rin
12-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Does he like gross-motor type activities? If so, maybe something like:

Plasma car
Pogo stick
Roller skates

SnuggleBuggles
12-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Magnatiles? A big Lego set? Our "wow" gift to ds2 was the Imaginext Eagle Talon castle, Ogre and a few accessories. Huge, huge hit.

wolverine2
12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
He's got Magnatiles. He'd love a big lego set, but he's not very careful and they end up being destroyed (which is fine if he'd still play with them, but I think he likes legos mostly because DS1 does). I might go with a lego city set though, rather than Star Wars, if we go w/ legos. But DS1 is getting a big star wars set for x-mas, so DS2 will think a city set is dumb.

SASM
12-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I second the plasma car & Magnatiles. My DCs always "oh & ah" over those things. :) My older 2 would also flip if my 5yo received a refurbished iPod Touch...that isn't happening, though. ;) How about a Leap Pad? We do not have one but have loved the Leapster products in the past.

hillview
12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
scooter?
Imaginex set?

urquie
12-10-2012, 02:58 AM
A rip razor. But be prepared for DS1 to want one as well. They are the most popular outside toys on the block, with the 3-11 yr old crowd.

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-Rip-Rider-360-Drifting-Ride-On/dp/B000WZEX4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1355122548&sr=1-1&keywords=Rip+razor

fivi2
12-10-2012, 08:22 AM
My nephews used to have a robotic R2D2, and my girls loved it when they were younger. Probably even younger than 5. It didn't live at our house, but was a big hit when we went over there.

TwinFoxes
12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
That rip-rider thing looks awesome. I'd go with that.

But if that doesn't work for you, how about some sort of electric train or race car set?

wolverine2
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
A rip razor. But be prepared for DS1 to want one as well. They are the most popular outside toys on the block, with the 3-11 yr old crowd.

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-Rip-Rider-360-Drifting-Ride-On/dp/B000WZEX4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1355122548&sr=1-1&keywords=Rip+razor

That does look cool. My DS1 would totally love it. DS2 would love it because DS1 would want it. :) My only fear would be that it would keep him from getting on his bike- we're working on moving to a 2-wheeler, which he's ridden a few times successfully, but he always wants to go back to his balance bike b/c he's so confident on that (though it's getting pretty small for him!)

wolverine2
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm wondering about a mini/maxi kick (which would it be for a 5 yr old)? I don't quite get it b/c we've always had Razors, and DS2 has a hand-me-down razor, but hasn't quite figured it out yet. But DS1 has seen maxi kicks and calls them "baby scooters" so I don't know how to get around DS2 feeling like it's a baby scooter. What makes them better than a Razor?

khalloc
12-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm wondering about a mini/maxi kick (which would it be for a 5 yr old)? I don't quite get it b/c we've always had Razors, and DS2 has a hand-me-down razor, but hasn't quite figured it out yet. But DS1 has seen maxi kicks and calls them "baby scooters" so I don't know how to get around DS2 feeling like it's a baby scooter. What makes them better than a Razor?

A 5 year old would want a MAXI. The Mini only goes up to 40 pounds, or somewhere in that range.

The mini/maxi dont need to be steered by turning a wheel. You just lean in the direction that you want your scooter to turn to. I'll venture to say that the ride seems smoother too.

Simon
12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
How about one of those Power Wheels on super sale at Target? It would be a huge WOW and also fulfill the brother envy criteria too.

A handheld or other game system? Don't know what he already has or has access to. An inexpensive tablet?

California
12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Kidkraft fire station would be a "wow" gift- downside is you'd have to have room for it in your house.

MommytoEliana
12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
How about a really cool r/c toy? My DS would LOVE one of those mall kiosk ones that flip over with the big wheels. He got to play with one briefly the other day and was having a blast.